Amp Hour Meter Resetting

  • Bill Swann
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3 7:36 AM
      I am finding that my A-Hr meter resets to zero. I just got my new
      charger (NG3), and went through an overnight charge cycle. I had hoped
      to see the # of A-Hr's accumulated this morning, but the meter read
      0.03. Is this normal?
      Bill S
    • Dave C.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3 8:17 AM
        I have a Zivan charger and the same thing happens. As the charge
        proceeds the AH meter get to about -5 ah or so, then gradually
        increases. I guess the charger doesn't keep up with the constant
        slow drain of the DC-DC converter. Anyway, I try to unplug the
        charger when the charge is complete -- i.e. the light on the charger
        turns green. By then the AH meter has increased from its lowest
        reading, but I feel confident the batteries are being treated OK.

        Dave C.
        Las Vegas, NV

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Swann" <dbswann4@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3 12:16 PM
          Bill,
          The ng3 configured for 156 and gel batteries does not have a float
          charge so at the end of the charge cycle it just shuts down but the
          green light will remain on.(the one on the charger) The AH meter in
          the car reverts to 00.00 and then starts showing amps removed as the
          dc/dc is always on. If you had a Brusa or other charger with a
          continual float the AH meter wouldn't go zero until you had the
          charger off for awhile.

          Short answer is it is normal without a float. The batteries are
          draining as soon as the charger stops. I see about -0.17 per day with
          no usage. Insignificant for a day or to but it adds up if you need to
          leave it unused for awhile.

          If you check it towards the end of the cycle you will see a minus
          number. Mine comes pretty close to a 10%+ overcharge. You'll find that
          the overcharge time is very long but the amps are lower than used by
          the Brusa charger.

          Mike Rydjord --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Swann"
          <dbswann4@...> wrote:

          > I am finding that my A-Hr meter resets to zero. I just got my new
          > charger (NG3), and went through an overnight charge cycle. I had hoped
          > to see the # of A-Hr's accumulated this morning, but the meter read
          > 0.03. Is this normal?
          > Bill S

        • Dorothy Swann
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3 1:43 PM
            I will pay attention next time. I think that the A-Hr meter electronics sets zero's the meter when it sees a negative going voltage spike. That is, when the charger voltage cuts off.
            Bill S