Overheating

  • Michael Conn
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8 8:36 PM
      My 97 Force overheats occasionally. Only on hot days (over 80 degrees
      here in LA) and, previously, only with the extra weight of passengers
      and regen on. The last couple days have been over 90 degrees here and I
      was able to monitor things a little. In traffic on a slightly hilly
      street where most of the cars are going 35mph, it would overheat after
      about 15 minutes. When this happens, always after a stop, I have to get
      to the side of the road and wait 5 minutes or so. During this time, the
      fans on the controller and motor are on. Also, during this time, all
      the 12v stuff funtions fine. Only pressing the accelerator has no
      effect. After this 5 minutes, the accelerator will suddenly work and I
      can drive on. I have not figured out where this overheating acutall
      occurs, (in the controller or in the motor) If I switch to Econ and
      turn regen off, I can avoid overheating at all. I get a lot of angry
      SUVs behind me in Econ however.

      In troubleshooting this, I tested the thermal switch screwed to the fins
      of the motor. It closed when dropped into a cup of water that was too
      hot to keep a finger in. The spec for the device says it closes at 140
      degrees, so it seemed to be functioning. I jumpered the thing out
      anyway to try to keep the motor cooler. I would do the same for the
      controller fans, but the power for those comes from inside the
      controller and I don't feel it is worth it to open the controller.

      My pack charges to 177 volts (13 batteries) and the car works great
      otherwise.

      Just thought I'd pass along the info.

      -Michael Conn
    • Stephen Taylor

        Message 3 of 6 , May 9 4:46 PM
          Michael,
          Does it exhibit any indication that it is going to quit? Sluggishness,
          lack of power or such. Or is it fine and then stops after a stop as
          you say?

          Have you checked all the connections? When it stops does turning it
          off and then back on make any difference? Will it go backwards? Do you
          see any changes in voltage when the problem is happening?

          If anything my car runs better in the heat. As for the motor when it
          is hot I'm certain it would be a hand burner if contact was very long.
          Controller fans run but temp of box isn't abnormally hot. A/c on
          condensor heat results in the controller getting hotter.

          Hope you get a solution. It would be nice if you could try a different
          controller. Maybe another LA area owner could help.

          Mike Rydjord
          97