Re: [solectria_ev] Radio interference.

  • Anil Paryani
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2007
      What I did was get XM radio. No interference occurred at the higher frequencies.

      Anil
      -95 Force

      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2007
        My Force also has had this problem since it was new. Here is what
        I've found:
        1) The interference is radiative. A portable radio experiences the
        interference when in the car's vicinity.
        2) It affects the FM band as well. I live in a fringe area where the
        stations I want to hear are 50 miles away.
        3) The FM interference occurs whenever the motor is turning and is
        manifested as a hiss that partially or completely masks the audio.
        When the motor is not turning and the accelerator is not depressed,
        the hiss is gone, which is to be expected since the AC motor doesn't
        need a rotating field when stationary.
        4) I checked the grounding of the antenna lead and tried various
        arrangements of the mesh shielding. No improvement. In fact, the
        interference is no worse with the mesh zipper jacket removed from the
        RGB connector. So I leave it off.
        5) The RFI drops off rapidly with distance from the car, so you are
        probably not bothering the reception in nearby cars.
        6) Probably the easiest solution would be to mount a vertical antenna
        on the rear fender of the car (vertical being the best orientation
        for FM reception). Unfortunately, this would change the looks of the
        car.

        --Gordon Stallings--
        Oklahoma

        > I hear a lot of radio static except when the car is stopped. The
        > Faraday shield on the 3 phase motor connector is in place. Are there
        > any other areas to check as a source of radio noise?
        > Thanks
      • Michael Conn
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2007
          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Swann" <dbswann4@...>
          wrote:

          > I hear a lot of radio static except when the car is stopped. The
          > Faraday shield on the 3 phase motor connector is in place. Are
          there
          > any other areas to check as a source of radio noise?
          > Thanks

          Bill,

          I have the same problem on my 97 Force. The message about moving the
          antennae to the back seems like a good idea. I would test that with
          hand held antennae before running a new coax. It seems that a filter
          on the coax designed for the right frequency would stop the noise.
          More clues for somebody smarter then me:
          1. I do not get any noise when using the CD player, so I figured a
          power line filter would not help.
          2. If I coast with regen off, the noise goes (mostly) away.

          Thanks,

          Michael.
        • sioux ammerman
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2007
            My problem is exactly like Michael's and Gordon's. (I'm getting good at just
            coasting when I want to hear a conversation or song on the radio.) And I
            like the rear antennae idea. I really wouldn't care about the 'look' of the
            car being changed. So all I need is the nerve to drill a hole in my car
            (!!!!).
            But thanks for the solution idea.

            Sioux