Are there any issues with fumes from batteries during the charging process?

  • coolestshop
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 26 7:15 PM
      I was noticing that there is a particular smell that occurs when my 97
      Force is charging, kinda smalles like chlorine or something.
      Anyway...is there any information about the issue of any fumes being
      created and released by the batteries while charging..or at any other
      time. I havebeen charging the car in my garage but have since switched
      to charging it outsidethe garage to be sure there are no fumes being
      released into my house that could be harmful. Any info regarding this
      matter would be greatly appreciated. I know that the batteries are
      sealed lead acid gel....but I still wanted to know for sure how safe
      they are regarding any fumes they may or may not put out. Thanks again.

      - garth
      coolestshop.com
    • gjc0@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 26 9:04 PM
        Greetings:

        Seal lead acid batteries (GELs) should not have out-gassing under normal charge and discharge conditions. Note the use of the word NORMAL. If they are over-charged, over-discharged, or physically compromised, they can emit hydrogen (explosive in the right concentrations), water varpor (the least of your worries) and sulfuric acid. Try to find out where the smell is coming from and wear protective equipment if you expect a bad battery.

        I have personally witnessed a car battery explode and it is not pretty. (Flying acid everywhere).

        Sincerely,
        Gary Carlson
        1992 Solectria Force
        ID License: AMPEATR

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 27 6:27 AM
          What test should I perform exactly. The voltage on the entire pack is
          good, in the 160's last week when I tested them. Please let me know
          exactly what test to perform and how to do it. Also, is there no odor
          at all that they put off because it seems that the smellis comingfrom
          both the front and the back array of batteries. Thanks in advance for
          your help.

          - garth
          coolestshop.com

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, gjc0@... wrote:

          > Greetings:
          >
          > Seal lead acid batteries (GELs) should not have out-gassing under
          normal charge and discharge conditions. Note the use of the word
          NORMAL. If they are over-charged, over-discharged, or physically
          compromised, they can emit hydrogen (explosive in the right
          concentrations), water varpor (the least of your worries) and sulfuric
          acid. Try to find out where the smell is coming from and wear
          protective equipment if you expect a bad battery.

          > I have personally witnessed a car battery explode and it is not
          pretty. (Flying acid everywhere).

          > Sincerely,
          > Gary Carlson
          > 1992 Solectria Force
          > ID License: AMPEATR

        • mike young
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 27 6:49 AM
            hey garth, heres what i would do -.(hey list correct me on any of this if you need to) i believe the fully charged pack voltage checked with a voltmeter at the big grey disconnect under the hood should be about 170v (13.1v per batt times 13 batt) if its not that then you need to open the battery boxes up and test each batt individually to see if you have a stinker in there.Start with the rear batt box as it is easy access and put your voltmeter on each battery 1 at a time you should get approx 13 to 13.1 v apiece. any fluctuation from that and you know you might have a stinker.then what i usually do is run the car 5 or 10 mi and when i get back with it i leave the key on and the heater and headlites on and check the individual batt voltages again under this load. now you will know for sure which one is a stinker.let us know what you find.

          • gjc0@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 27 8:16 AM
              Greetings:

              If you suspect a problem with overcharging of the batteries, start with the battery specifications from the manufacturer. Get the recommended charging profile. It will typically include maximum voltage for a given temperature.

              With the batteries exposed so you can get to their connections, measure the voltage across each battery during the various phases of charging. Especially note the final charging phases where the voltage tends to peak.
              Make a table showing the aproximate battery temperature, and the voltage across each battery. You should make about three of these tables, one for the initial charging phase, one for the intermediate charging phase and one for the final phase. (Typically the NG3 has a yellow LED on during the final phase). See if any battery is getting overchaged (voltage is beyond specifications). Look also for signs of venting or leaking which should not happen under normal operation.

              Use necessary safety precautions. You will be dealing with hazardous voltages and possibly substances.

              Sincerely,
              Gary Carlson

              What test should I perform exactly. The voltage on the entire pack is
              good, in the 160's last week when I tested them. Please let me know
              exactly what test to perform and how to do it. Also, is there no odor
              at all that they put off because it seems that the smellis comingfrom
              both the front and the back array of batteries. Thanks in advance for
              your help.

              - garth
              coolestshop.com

              --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, gjc0@... wrote:

              > Greetings:
              >
              > Seal lead acid batteries (GELs) should not have out-gassing under
              normal charge and discharge conditions. Note the use of the word
              NORMAL. If they are over-charged, over-discharged, or physically
              compromised, they can emit hydrogen (explosive in the right
              concentrations), water varpor (the least of your worries) and sulfuric
              acid. Try to find out where the smell is coming from and wear
              protective equipment if you expect a bad battery.

              > I have personally witnessed a car battery explode and it is not
              pretty. (Flying acid everywhere).

              > Sincerely,
              > Gary Carlson
              > 1992 Solectria Force
              > ID License: AMPEATR

            • coolestshop
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 27 2:25 PM
                Well....I have talked with the previous owner and confirmed that last
                year the front 5 pabberies were replaced as well as 2 of the batteries
                in the back pack. After taking voltage readings during all phases of
                charging I have found that at full charge there is nothing too
                off...non of the batteries are over charged at that phase. During the
                ohase down of charging 4 of the 7 batteries go as high as 14.16 volts
                where the factory specs show 14.1 being the capacity load.
                And last but not least during the main charging time 2 of the
                batteries got as high as 14.70, 3 of them were in the 14.5 range and 3
                of them were in the 14.3 range. Anythoughts? I plan to perform a field
                discharge test as described in the service guide this evening. Wish me
                luck...thanks for the help...keep it coming.

              • coolestshop
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 28 1:01 PM
                  I have determined that although all the batteries in the back pack are
                  holding a good charge 6 of the 8 are showing signs of bulging and
                  appear to be in need of replacing. I also have gone to a battery store
                  and the manager there felt that the odor is not at all battery related
                  but rather that it smelled as if my charger was getting
                  overheated...possibly due to the bad batteries in my pack? Not sure
                  there. Anyway...I did blow one of the Bussman 20's in there last
                  week...so are there any thoughts as how to determine for sure if the
                  smell is coming from the charger or not? Would it be worth trying to
                  sync a computer up to the scsi port and run some diognostics? How does
                  one do that? Also, should I not be driving my car until I replace the
                  batterites to avoid melting my charger? Thoughts anyone? Thanks is
                  advance.
                  - garth
                  coolstshop.com

                  --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "coolestshop" <coolestshop@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Well....I have talked with the previous owner and confirmed that last
                  > year the front 5 pabberies were replaced as well as 2 of the batteries
                  > in the back pack. After taking voltage readings during all phases of
                  > charging I have found that at full charge there is nothing too
                  > off...non of the batteries are over charged at that phase. During the
                  > ohase down of charging 4 of the 7 batteries go as high as 14.16 volts
                  > where the factory specs show 14.1 being the capacity load.
                  > And last but not least during the main charging time 2 of the
                  > batteries got as high as 14.70, 3 of them were in the 14.5 range and 3
                  > of them were in the 14.3 range. Anythoughts? I plan to perform a field
                  > discharge test as described in the service guide this evening. Wish me
                  > luck...thanks for the help...keep it coming.
                  >
                  > - garth
                  > coolestshop.com
                  >
                  > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, gjc0@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Greetings:
                  > >
                  > > If you suspect a problem with overcharging of the batteries, start
                  > with the battery specifications from the manufacturer. Get the
                  > recommended charging profile. It will typically include maximum
                  > voltage for a given temperature.
                  > >
                  > > With the batteries exposed so you can get to their connections,
                  > measure the voltage across each battery during the various phases of
                  > charging. Especially note the final charging phases where the voltage
                  > tends to peak.
                  > > Make a table showing the aproximate battery temperature, and the
                  > voltage across each battery. You should make about three of these
                  > tables, one for the initial charging phase, one for the intermediate
                  > charging phase and one for the final phase. (Typically the NG3 has a
                  > yellow LED on during the final phase). See if any battery is getting
                  > overchaged (voltage is beyond specifications). Look also for signs of
                  > venting or leaking which should not happen under normal operation.
                  > >
                  > > Use necessary safety precautions. You will be dealing with
                  > hazardous voltages and possibly substances.
                  > >
                  > > Sincerely,
                  > > Gary Carlson

                • coolestshop
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 28 1:01 PM

                    wrote:

                    > Well....I have talked with the previous owner and confirmed that last
                    > year the front 5 pabberies were replaced as well as 2 of the batteries
                    > in the back pack. After taking voltage readings during all phases of
                    > charging I have found that at full charge there is nothing too
                    > off...non of the batteries are over charged at that phase. During the
                    > ohase down of charging 4 of the 7 batteries go as high as 14.16 volts
                    > where the factory specs show 14.1 being the capacity load.
                    > And last but not least during the main charging time 2 of the
                    > batteries got as high as 14.70, 3 of them were in the 14.5 range and 3
                    > of them were in the 14.3 range. Anythoughts? I plan to perform a field
                    > discharge test as described in the service guide this evening. Wish me
                    > luck...thanks for the help...keep it coming.
                    >
                    > - garth
                    > coolestshop.com
                    >
                    > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, gjc0@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Greetings:
                    > >
                    > > If you suspect a problem with overcharging of the batteries, start
                    > with the battery specifications from the manufacturer. Get the
                    > recommended charging profile. It will typically include maximum
                    > voltage for a given temperature.
                    > >
                    > > With the batteries exposed so you can get to their connections,
                    > measure the voltage across each battery during the various phases of
                    > charging. Especially note the final charging phases where the voltage
                    > tends to peak.
                    > > Make a table showing the aproximate battery temperature, and the
                    > voltage across each battery. You should make about three of these
                    > tables, one for the initial charging phase, one for the intermediate
                    > charging phase and one for the final phase. (Typically the NG3 has a
                    > yellow LED on during the final phase). See if any battery is getting
                    > overchaged (voltage is beyond specifications). Look also for signs of
                    > venting or leaking which should not happen under normal operation.
                    > >
                    > > Use necessary safety precautions. You will be dealing with
                    > hazardous voltages and possibly substances.
                    > >
                    > > Sincerely,
                    > > Gary Carlson

                  • Stephen Taylor
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 28 4:27 PM
                      From my experience and what I have heard the Brusa NLG4 charger although very smart is not very reliable. I did have one NLG4 that I smelled something from and when I opened it up I got a real whiff of it. I take it you didn't notice a strong smell when you opened it to change the fuse.

                      As to whether the batteries are aggravating it I can't say, but my NLG4 was charging NiCD batteries which I'm sure is a whole lot harder on the charger than the lead acid batteries since the charger would run full power much longer and bring battery voltages up much higher than the lead acid ones do.

                      I hate to say it, but my bet would be that your charger doesn't have long to live and I doubt it has much to do with the state of the batteries.

                      Stephen Taylor

                    • coolestshop
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 29 11:23 AM
                        Well you were right...my charger is burning up. Any thoughts on where
                        I can get it repaired? I know that there is a good less expensive
                        replacement charger by Zevon...anyone want to suggest what I do next.
                        Right now I am in the process of charging my car one last time before
                        I remove the charger and leave them dormant till I get the charger
                        fixed. Thanks in advance.

                        - garth
                        coolestshop.com

                        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Taylor <sparrow262@...>
                        wrote:

                        > From my experience and what I have heard the Brusa NLG4 charger
                        although very smart is not very reliable. I did have one NLG4 that I
                        smelled something from and when I opened it up I got a real whiff of
                        it. I take it you didn't notice a strong smell when you opened it to
                        change the fuse.

                        > As to whether the batteries are aggravating it I can't say, but my
                        NLG4 was charging NiCD batteries which I'm sure is a whole lot harder
                        on the charger than the lead acid batteries since the charger would
                        run full power much longer and bring battery voltages up much higher
                        than the lead acid ones do.

                        > I hate to say it, but my bet would be that your charger doesn't
                        have long to live and I doubt it has much to do with the state of the
                        batteries.

                        > Stephen Taylor

                      • Stephen Taylor
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 29 4:53 PM
                          That has been the problem, no one I know is actually fixing the chargers. Brusa no longer suppports that charger since they build the newer NLG5s now. There are a couple of people looking into the workings of these (NLG4) chargers, but I haven't heard of any real progress in quite a while.

                          I have been somewhat fortunate in that there seems to be a supply of used NICD NLG4s available and I am now on my third NLG4 charger in that car in as many years. The NiCD chargers apparently have enough fundamental differences from the Lead Acid Chargers so that they aren't useable for Lead Acid cars.

                          If you go with a Zivan charger, make sure the charging profile isn't too aggressive. I know there are several people on this list with Zivan chargers so you might want their input. Also, the Zivans aren't always compatible with public charging if you are in an area where you can use public sites.

                          Stephen Taylor

                          wrote:

                          > From my experience and what I have heard the Brusa NLG4 charger
                          although very smart is not very reliable. I did have one NLG4 that I
                          smelled something from and when I opened it up I got a real whiff of
                          it. I take it you didn't notice a strong smell when you opened it to
                          change the fuse.

                          > As to whether the batteries are aggravating it I can't say, but my
                          NLG4 was charging NiCD batteries which I'm sure is a whole lot harder
                          on the charger than the lead acid batteries since the charger would
                          run full power much longer and bring battery voltages up much higher
                          than the lead acid ones do.

                          > I hate to say it, but my bet would be that your charger doesn't
                          have long to live and I doubt it has much to do with the state of the
                          batteries.

                          > Stephen Taylor

                        • coolestshop
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 30 2:36 AM
                            Yeah....I hear you on all that. I really appreciate all the feedback.
                            I decided to go with a 220V Zivan charger...should be here tomorrow.
                            My NLG4 is still working but will surly fry itself ina matter of a few
                            more charging sessions I assume. I will be retiring it in a few hours
                            till I find someone that can work on the thing. Since I am in Oregon
                            there are very very few public charging statins that I can get access
                            to so that part is really not an issue for me, but I appreciate the
                            info. Thanks again for all the help.

                            wrote:

                            > That has been the problem, no one I know is actually fixing the
                            chargers. Brusa no longer suppports that charger since they build the
                            newer NLG5s now. There are a couple of people looking into the
                            workings of these (NLG4) chargers, but I haven't heard of any real
                            progress in quite a while.

                            > I have been somewhat fortunate in that there seems to be a supply
                            of used NICD NLG4s available and I am now on my third NLG4 charger in
                            that car in as many years. The NiCD chargers apparently have enough
                            fundamental differences from the Lead Acid Chargers so that they
                            aren't useable for Lead Acid cars.

                            > If you go with a Zivan charger, make sure the charging profile
                            isn't too aggressive. I know there are several people on this list
                            with Zivan chargers so you might want their input. Also, the Zivans
                            aren't always compatible with public charging if you are in an area
                            where you can use public sites.

                            > Stephen Taylor
                            >
                            > coolestshop <coolestshop@...> wrote:
                            > Well you were right...my charger is burning up. Any
                            thoughts on where
                            > I can get it repaired? I know that there is a good less expensive
                            > replacement charger by Zevon...anyone want to suggest what I do next.
                            > Right now I am in the process of charging my car one last time before
                            > I remove the charger and leave them dormant till I get the charger
                            > fixed. Thanks in advance.
                            >
                            > - garth
                            > coolestshop.com
                            >
                            > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Taylor <sparrow262@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > From my experience and what I have heard the Brusa NLG4 charger
                            > although very smart is not very reliable. I did have one NLG4 that I
                            > smelled something from and when I opened it up I got a real whiff of
                            > it. I take it you didn't notice a strong smell when you opened it to
                            > change the fuse.
                            > >
                            > > As to whether the batteries are aggravating it I can't say, but my
                            > NLG4 was charging NiCD batteries which I'm sure is a whole lot harder
                            > on the charger than the lead acid batteries since the charger would
                            > run full power much longer and bring battery voltages up much higher
                            > than the lead acid ones do.
                            > >
                            > > I hate to say it, but my bet would be that your charger doesn't
                            > have long to live and I doubt it has much to do with the state of the
                            > batteries.
                            > >
                            > > Stephen Taylor

                          • Stephen Taylor
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 30 6:43 AM
                              If you have a Zivan, you might want to get a TRC GFCI or equilvalent. The reason isn't really for the GFI aspect so much as for the protection of your batteries from extreme overcharge. What can happen with a Zivan, is that if your utility company drops power to your house momentarily, the Zivan will start back up and do another full overcharge. Since your batteries are already full voltages can get quite out of hand.

                              The GFI will unlock during a power outage and you have to manually reset them thus no unintended charging. Just another thought.

                              Stephen Taylor