Re: [solectria_ev] 97 Force Heater Problem

  • Brett Kelien
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2007
      Hey Mike do you know anything about the heater on the
      E10? I have used propane to keep warm when it got
      really cold otherwise I just dont use it and it doesnt
      get that cold here the worst was about 20 a few days
      .Brett

      --- Mike Chancey <echancey@...> wrote:

      > My heater became intermittent so I had to repair it
      > to keep the
      > better half happy. On mine the heater element was
      > mounted in the
      > standard heater core location. Rather than
      > completely disassemble
      > the dashboard as prescribed in the factory Geo
      > manual, Solectria had
      > cut an opening on the passenger side of the housing,
      > slipped out the
      > original core, slipped the ceramic heating element,
      > then secured it
      > back with screws and sealer. When the heater on my
      > '95 went bad I
      > was not aware of Solectria's shortcut so I followed
      > the book and
      > pulled the whole dash. I then discovered their
      > short cut. I
      > replaced the element with an identical one from a
      > cheap cube floor
      > heater. It worked great. I've used those in
      > several other EVs with
      > considerable success.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Mike Chancey
      > Kansas City, MO

    • arthur marquardt
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2007
        I have an E-10 and have poor performance from the heater best case 1.5 degrees F per minute it takes a really long time and a fair number of amp/Hrs. not a good thing in winter. Has anybody seen a short cut on an E-10 dropping the dash can be problematic with wiring. What is the wattage on the heater supposed to be. We have ordered a coleman catalytic heater that is designed for golf carts and the base fits in a cup holder to help with this. It's not the cold that bothers us so much as the frost on the inside of the windshield.

        Art
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2 9:46 AM
          Michael,
          I would like to know if you figured it out?

          I've been off line for a month. My heater is also somewhat
          intermittent and I'm about 80% sure it is the relay between the red
          switch and the element. When it works I can hear the relay click. When
          I don't hear it click it doesn't work. Heater relay makes about the
          same sound as the regen brake light relay in my vehicle. Mine seems to
          always work when first used but if you turn it off you have a 50/50
          chance it isn't going to respond until after it has sat for a hour or
          so. I've learned to live with it for now. Car doesn't have factory
          preheat feature.

          Unfortunately, depending upon how you think about it, I haven't been
          able to duplicate the failure while checking voltage and resistance.

          Mike
          97

          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Conn" <ev_in_la@...> wrote:

          > My heater works intermittently. Has anybody sucessfully fixed this
          > problem? I saw a few posts in the archives, but no actual solution.
          > It is not the red switch. That switch is sending 12v out when closed.
          > The striped orange wire goes to a relay after leaving the switch and
          > then from the relay off in several directions. One or two of them go
          > to the pre-heat controller (which seems dead), which I disconnected
          > from the back of the pre-heat controller. Disconnecting these wires
          > had no effect on the heater. Where are the heater coils? It would be
          > nice to test them to see if they are actually getting voltage.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Michael.

        • Dave C.
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4 2:50 PM
            I'd be interested to know the specs on the heater element Solectria
            used on its eary Force conversions. Mine (1991) was wired directly
            to the same circuit as the turn signals and whenever switched on
            blows the fuse. I have disconnected it for now until I figure our
            whether I need to pull out the element. What is the element? What is
            the normal resistance across it? If I need to replace it, where do I
            find one?

            Dave C.
            Las Vegas, NV
            "EV1"