Re: [solectria_ev] Heating pads

  • arthur marquardt
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 28, 2007
      Jim:

      The heaters you want may still be available through Solectria/Azure. However if they are not Go to Watlow industries you want a flexible heater. They are orange and about .030" to .040" thick. Here is the URL. The PDF has a phone and link. Please do not make the mistake I did and fail to put a hard plastic sheet between the heater and battery. You will of course have to specify the size of your battery box they are made out of silicone or neoprene. You will need a simple bimetallic thermostat that opens the circuit at around 70 degrees to make sure batteries don't overheat this is more of a precaution than a problem. Good Luck and show pictures of your installation.
      http://www.watlow.com/literature/specsheets/files/heaters/coleh0303.pdf
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 1, 2007
        By carefully examining wear marks, the broken wire tie and
        deliberately chipped-away portions of the transmission, I am 99%
        certain I was able to reinstall the mysterious speed sensor as it was
        installed originally. I have uploaded a photo of the assembly taken
        from below. (under the Mystery Parts section). Does ANYONE have a
        similar device on their car? I am still not certain if this was an
        original Solectria part or added by a previous owner. Any input would
        be greatly appreciated -- even if it is just that it is NOT something
        on anyone else's Force.

        Thanks!

        Dave

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Dave C." <david@...> wrote:

        > Two photos are now uploaded in new photo section "Mystery Parts".
        >

        > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Dave C." <david@> wrote:
        > >
        > > There are 2 small magnets on the Left transaxle where it exits the
        > > transmission. The pickup looks like a coil around a bolt that is on
        > > an L-bracket that mounts to hold the pickup near the rotating magnets.
        > > The transaxle at that point has 3 flat areas located at 120 degree
        > > intervals. But there are only 2 magnets and I don't see evidence that
        > > there was ever a third (although I could be wrong). Amazingly, they
        > > are held onto the axle with a plastic wire tie (and magnetic force).
        > > The tie broke after the axle was removed, so it is unlikely a third
        > > magnet was lost. In fact, one of the 2 magnets was not found under
        > > the wire tie but on the end of the tri-faceted assembly. So I have
        > > assumed it just moved over time. Again, I am not sure where it goes.
        > >
        > > This Force was clearly one of the very original conversions, using the
        > > OEM Geo 5-speed transmission and a belt drive. It was also clearly a
        > > study car since it has an old data logger under the drivers seat
        > > (Labeled "Silent Witness"). There is also evidence that it once had a
        > > clutch since a microswitch is mounted in such a way as to be
        > > disengaged if the pedal were pushed. There is no clutch pedal now and
        > > the microswitch has cut wires attached to it. I have been unable to
        > > find out its previous owner, even through the California DMV.
        > > However, there is a photo-copied owners manual for a later model
        > > (using the Solectria transmission) which is labeled "Riverside
        > Utility."
        > >
        > > The history I have been able to surmise leads me to believe the
        > > magnets may be for the datalogger, but without tracing all the wires I
        > > can't know.
        > >
        > > This car also has a toggle switch where the cigarette lighter was
        > > originally labeled "PRECOOL." And the Air conditioning system is
        > > connected to a non-functioning digital event timer.
        > >
        > > I know this is more information than you asked for, but it gives some
        > > perspective to the conundrum I face. Thanks for your help. I will
        > > take a photo of the magnets and sensor and post them later.
        > >
        > > Dave C.
        > > Las Vegas, NV
        > >
        > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Doug Jackson <doug@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > can you tell me more about where and how the sensor was mounted?
        > > >

        > > > Doug Jackson
        > > > adjackson3.org

        > under
        > be an

        Force.
        > So any

        > or an
        > 5-speed
        > parts.
        > installed the
        > left
        > the wire
        > the 2
        > lost. What
        > magnets
        > Also, the
        > am not
        > etc.

      • Mike Chancey
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 1, 2007
          Hi Dave,

          That speed sensor and magnets are absolutely identical to the ones on
          my universal cruise control kit on my ICE Civic. Not just similar,
          but identical. Has someone tried putting cruise control your Solectria?

          Thanks,

          Mike Chancey
          Kansas City, MO

          At 02:21 PM 3/1/2007, you wrote:

          >By carefully examining wear marks, the broken wire tie and
          >deliberately chipped-away portions of the transmission, I am 99%
          >certain I was able to reinstall the mysterious speed sensor as it was
          >installed originally. I have uploaded a photo of the assembly taken
          >from below. (under the Mystery Parts section). Does ANYONE have a
          >similar device on their car? I am still not certain if this was an
          >original Solectria part or added by a previous owner. Any input would
          >be greatly appreciated -- even if it is just that it is NOT something
          >on anyone else's Force.
          >
          >Thanks!
          >
          >Dave
        • Doug Jackson
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 1, 2007
            can you post a picture or at least describe exactly how the pickup
            coil is attached? It looks like a custom bracket has been used. Is
            it attached to an existing bolt on the gearbox?

            If, as another poster has described, this is a standard kit for an
            after market cruise control, then this may go a long way to helping
            me solve my problem of adding an electric speedometer to replace the
            mechanical one that I no longer have.

            Doug Jackson
            adjackson3.org

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 1, 2007
              Jim,
              About a month or so ago I checked with Azure and they had the pads for
              the 97 front & rear and the "clickers", control boxes. The front and
              rear controls are different on the 97 as the rear also has the rear
              fan control in the same box. I believe they also had the protective
              pads but I didn't ask about those. I was told that the heat pads don't
              usually fail unless the batteries are put back in without the
              protective pad.

              I don't recall a price quote so it either wasn't bad or I didn't get
              one. The control units are just open close temp sensors. they close at
              about 65F and open about 80F. I thought I had one sticking but after a
              lot of testing I was satisfied it wasn't.

              Mike

              --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, jim donovan <donovan66205@...> wrote:

              > Hey all:
              >
              > I am in the process of doing some extensive battery work and took
              an opportunity to examine the heating pads used in the Forces. Does
              anyone have a source for the pads? They are great and simple.

              > Jim
              > Westwood, KS

            • Dave C.
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 2, 2007

                > That speed sensor and magnets are absolutely identical to the ones on
                > my universal cruise control kit on my ICE Civic. Not just similar,
                > but identical. Has someone tried putting cruise control your Solectria?

                Very interesting. But there is no evidence that any speed control was
                ever installed on this car. There is only a data logger under the
                driver's seat. My guess is the pickup for the data logger happens to
                be the same as the cruise control. No I really do need to start
                tracing wires! Thanks for your input!

                Dave C.
                Las Vegas
              • Dave C.
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 2, 2007
                  > can you post a picture or at least describe exactly how the pickup
                  > coil is attached? It looks like a custom bracket has been used. Is
                  > it attached to an existing bolt on the gearbox?

                  The pickup coil is bolted to an L-bracket that is held in place by one
                  of the transmission case bolts. A bit of the aluminum ridge around
                  the case has been chipped away to allow the bracket to lay flat -- not
                  a good engineering solution IMHO.

                  The strange thing is there are 2 magnets located roughly 160 degrees
                  to each other. It would make sense if they were 180 degrees (or if
                  there were three magnets 120 degrees apart).
                • jim donovan
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 8, 2008
                    Hey all:

                    I am working with Beth Silverman to address a bad rear battery box heating pad (mine is bad). Beth has been a true asset.

                    We have determined that the pads were made by Watlow out of St. Louis and is part number 28031082. I am trying to run this lead down to determine if replacement pads are available but then thought it might be just as easy to see if any one on the list has a spare or extra pad that they might want to part with.

                    Is there any one capable and willing to do so?

                    Jim Donovan
                    Westwood, KS

                  • jagman_xjs
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 8, 2008
                      I to was wondering about heating pads . When it gets down into the 20s
                      and 30s it is nice to have the batteries warm to help out ,not loosing
                      as much range . My thoughts are if nothing is available could I use
                      heat tape . It kicks on at 38 degrees and off at 50 degrees . My plans
                      are to place a rubber mat on the bottom of the box , then the tape ,
                      then maybe another mat another mat . Any thoughts on this as well ?
                    • Arthur Marquardt

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 9, 2008
                          One of the techs at Solectria told me a year or so ago that the usual
                          scenario for a heat pad failure, is the failure to put that protective
                          shields back in and having the batteries resting directly on the pad.

                          I would think almost any palstic that can stand as much heat as the
                          batteries would work fine. You could cut up teflon pastry sheets if
                          you want to spend some $$.

                          Mike

                          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Arthur Marquardt
                          <a-marquardt@...> wrote:

                          > There is a heating pad but there should be a cover over the pad
                          which protects it where do you get this?

                          > Art
                          >
                          > jim donovan <donovan66205@...> wrote:
                          > Hey all:
                          >
                          > I am working with Beth Silverman to address a bad rear battery box
                          heating pad (mine is bad). Beth has been a true asset.

                          > We have determined that the pads were made by Watlow out of St.
                          Louis and is part number 28031082. I am trying to run this lead down
                          to determine if replacement pads are available but then thought it
                          might be just as easy to see if any one on the list has a spare or
                          extra pad that they might want to part with.

                          > Is there any one capable and willing to do so?
                          >
                          > Jim Donovan
                          > Westwood, KS

                        • jim donovan

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 9, 2008
                              Is it possible to use a heating blanket, like for your bed?

                              My truck is missing the heating pads, but the wiring is there... and there
                              is a noticable performance drop when its below freezing.

                              However I tend to drive my Blazer in the winter, cause of all the snow,
                              ice and salt on the roads. ;)

                              Wolf
                              *wags his tail*
                              www.wolftronix.com

                              > One of the techs at Solectria told me a year or so ago that the usual
                              > scenario for a heat pad failure, is the failure to put that protective
                              > shields back in and having the batteries resting directly on the pad.
                              >
                              > I would think almost any palstic that can stand as much heat as the
                              > batteries would work fine. You could cut up teflon pastry sheets if
                              > you want to spend some $$.
                              >
                              > Mike
                              >
                              > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Arthur Marquardt
                              > <a-marquardt@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> There is a heating pad but there should be a cover over the pad
                              > which protects it where do you get this?
                              >>
                              >> Art
                              >>
                              >> jim donovan <donovan66205@...> wrote:
                              >> Hey all:
                              >>
                              >> I am working with Beth Silverman to address a bad rear battery box
                              > heating pad (mine is bad). Beth has been a true asset.
                              >>
                              >> We have determined that the pads were made by Watlow out of St.
                              > Louis and is part number 28031082. I am trying to run this lead down
                              > to determine if replacement pads are available but then thought it
                              > might be just as easy to see if any one on the list has a spare or
                              > extra pad that they might want to part with.
                              >>
                              >> Is there any one capable and willing to do so?
                              >>
                              >> Jim Donovan
                              >> Westwood, KS

                            • sghiahughes
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 11, 2008
                                I would highly recommend a thin plastic sheet to protect the heating pads from the
                                batteries. Otherwise, fine sand and dirty gets between the batteries and the pad, and
                                eventually grinds through the pad and causes it to fail. The plastic gives a little bit more
                                protection. A thin polyethylene would be fine.

                                Ken

                                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, jim donovan <donovan66205@...> wrote:

                                > I have owned four Forces and only one had this plastic type cover. It appears as if an
                                acetate of almost any kind can be cut to fit - like cutting Plexiglas. The other three Forces
                                operated just fine without this cover.

                                > Just my thoughts.
                                >
                                > Jim
                                >

                                > Arthur Marquardt <a-marquardt@...> wrote:
                                > There is a heating pad but there should be a cover over the pad which protects it
                                where do you get this?

                                > Art
                                >
                                > jim donovan <donovan66205@...> wrote:
                                > Hey all:
                                >
                                > I am working with Beth Silverman to address a bad rear battery box heating pad (mine is
                                bad). Beth has been a true asset.

                                > We have determined that the pads were made by Watlow out of St. Louis and is part
                                number 28031082. I am trying to run this lead down to determine if replacement pads are
                                available but then thought it might be just as easy to see if any one on the list has a spare
                                or extra pad that they might want to part with.

                                > Is there any one capable and willing to do so?
                                >
                                > Jim Donovan
                                > Westwood, KS

                              • paul doe
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 12, 2008
                                  Wolf,

                                  Rather than a heating blanket, I would try an outdoor heating pad designed for a dog kennel. They will come in various sizes and are relatively weather-proof. This is an example of one from Petco (http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=106005&Ntt=heating%20pad&OneResultRedirect=1), but I'm sure you can find others with a little searching.

                                  Paul