Re: charging batteries

  • Mary
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 12, 2007
      Thanks for the suggestions, Jim. I will definitely get an accurate
      reading of each battery's voltage. We're located near Columbus, WI.
      Our car does not have a battery box thermal management system and
      this past week, temperatures have been mostly below zero. I've had a
      little microchip controlled temperature sensor in the rear battery
      box, which showed that during the time that we got the strong acid
      fumes the battery box temperature got up to 140 degrees while in a
      garage heated by a woodstove to about 60 degrees (no temperature
      available on the front box). If the wood fire goes out, it can
      easily drop to sub-zero temperatures over night. The lowest
      temperature during the week for the rear battery box was 30 degrees
      though the front box could have gotten colder since it is more
      exposed (outdoor temperatures got as low as -18 F). Perhaps part of
      our problem is due to the low temperatures.

      Regards,

      Larry

      NOW, MY TURN TO ASK QUESTIONS: What part of the world are you in?
      Does your car use a battery thermal management system? What is the
      battery box temperature (front and back) before, during, and after
      charging? I ask this because batteries work best when warm and I am
      having a problem with my rear battery box warming pad. I use an
      indoor/outdoor AAA battery using thermometer with the �outside� wired
      lead in the boxes to monitor the temperature and would like to have
      something to compare it to.

      Good luck with your car and may you have many happy amps.

      Jim
      Westwood, KS

    • jim donovan

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 13, 2007
          Greetings all:

          I expect to replace the 12 Gel batteries in my 1992 Solectria Force soon.
          Two questions:

          1) What is the best source for a good price on a matched set of Deka / East Penn / MK Batteries? (8G27)

          2) My vehicle does not have battery warmers. What is a good source for these?

          Sincerely,
          Gary Carlson
          Boise, Idaho

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 13, 2007
            From: gjc0@...
            Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:27:41 -0500

            2) My vehicle does not have battery warmers. What is a good source for these?

            You can get them from Solectria. As I recall they cost somewhat more
            than $100 each. Do you already have the thermostats and other wiring?

            Solectria also has a decent price on batteries, but that won't help
            you because you are far from Massachusetts.

            Ken Olum (1997 Force, MA Lic. NO GAS)
          • Jim Coate
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 19, 2007
              Hi Gary -

              I just got a set of 16 for $150 each (including sales tax) from Keystone
              Battery in Winchester, MA (near Boston), picked up in person. Affordable
              Solar quoted me $162 each including shipping from New Mexico to my
              doorstep in upstate NY. I didn't think to check with Solectria/Azure.

              gjc0@... wrote:

              > I expect to replace the 12 Gel batteries in my 1992 Solectria Force soon.
              >
              > 1) What is the best source for a good price on a matched set of Deka /
              > East Penn / MK Batteries? (8G27)
              >
              > 2) My vehicle does not have battery warmers. What is a good source for
              > these?
              >
              > Sincerely,
              > Gary Carlson
              > Boise, Idaho

              Jim Coate
              1970's Elec-Trak's
              1997 Solectria Force
              1998 Chevy S-10 NiMH BEV
              1997 Chevy S-10 NGV Bi-Fuel
              http://www.eeevee.com
            • Jim Coate
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 19, 2007
                Hi Larry -

                As others have said, keeping the batteries warm (above ~50 degrees F) is
                important to keep the range up. Ideal is 70-80 degrees. Over 100 is not
                good as it shortens the life of the battery.

                Getting up to 140 is bad - you must have had one or more batteries in
                "thermal runaway". With that temperature and the smell, one or more
                batteries is unfortunately toast. The correct finish voltage for a
                battery depends on temperature. The higher the temperature, the lower
                the correct voltage. For instance, USB recommends: "reduce the voltage
                by 0.028 Volts per Cell [or 0.336 volts per 12 volt battery] for every
                10°F above 80°F, increase by the same amount for temperatures below 80°F."

                A battery will normally warm up slightly as it gets full and starts
                overcharging. If there isn't a temperature sensor on the charger to
                automatically correct the end voltage, and the battery is in a warm
                environment, the battery happily charges more quickly and heats up more
                and so on and so on until it is very hot and over charging and venting
                and self destructing.

                In a EV size pack there is the strong possibility of the batteries being
                badly out of balance (ie at different state of charge) and/or at
                different temperatures and if only one temperature sensor is used, it
                may report a very different temperature than some other battery in a
                different location that should be the limiting factor. This is why it is
                good to have thermal management (such as the heating pads controlled by
                thermostats) to keep all the batteries at approximately the same
                temperature.

                --
                Jim Coate
                1970's Elec-Trak's
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 19, 2007
                  I just picked up 13 Deka 8G31s for $148.96 today from Wholesale
                  Battery in Kansas City, Kansas (not for a Solectria in case your
                  wondering why the larger batteries, but it gives you a price point.)

                  Thanks,

                  Mike Chancey
                  Kansas City, MO
                • Will Beckett (Cruzio)
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 18 7:18 PM
                    Another Solectria Force owner and I, are looking into the purchase of a
                    battery monitoring system. Called the PakTrakr 600EV the system generally
                    available, comes with a display unit and one remote which would allow you to
                    connect 6 batteries. So Solectria Force owners would need to purchase two
                    additional remote units to cover 13 batteries in our pack. The supplier
                    recognized that this would put the package up to $300, $70 of that just to
                    cover one additional battery. So for Solectria owners, he is willing to
                    make a remote that covers 7 batteries which would reduce the price to $220
                    for the package.

                    I would be interested to know how many Solectria owners might also be
                    interested in purchasing these. Details about the product can be found on
                    the following we site.

                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://www.paktrakr.com/index.html"http://www.paktrakr.com/index.html

                    Here's a pictorial explanation of the connections:

                    cid:003e01c77b94$b2630ac0$6401a8c0@KensHPLaptop

                    The PakTrakr Remotes are in the battery bay(s), and connect to six batteries
                    each. An 8' three-conductor cable goes from the Remote to the next Remote
                    in the daisy-chain, or if it's the last Remote in the chain (or the only
                    Remote), to the single PakTrakr Display on the dash. The Display monitors
                    ALL the batteries, but show one Remote's batteries at a time. You use the
                    Display's buttons to page through the Remotes or other display
                    possibilities.

                    - Will
                    Aptos, CA 95003
                    (831) 688-8669
                    HYPERLINK "mailto:will@..."will@...

                    7:39 AM

                  • jim donovan

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 18 9:38 PM
                        I have been looking for a solution to the battery monitor issue for
                        some time. Several people have tried various things but they all
                        require a certain amount of end-user electronics. I don't mind
                        connecting wires to the batteries and feeding them into a black box.
                        I just don't have the knowledge nor confidence in building the black
                        box. So something like this PakTrakr is of interest. The cost is a
                        little high but it appears to be less than the do-it-yourself designs
                        I have seen.

                        Bottom line is I'm interested.

                        Doug Jackson
                        adjackson3.org

                      • Will Beckett
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 18 9:51 PM
                          Please re-read my message. The manufacturer is willing to make
                          remote units that can manage 7 batteries instead of the stock 6
                          batteries, so because of this, Solectria Force owners would only need
                          two remotes. The cost would only be $220.

                          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, jim donovan <donovan66205@...>
                          wrote:

                          > My force has 5 batteries in the front (thus requiring one 6 battery
                          remote unit with one not being used) and 8 in the rear (one 6 battery
                          unit plus two sections from a second 6 battery unit). Thus, I would
                          need three 6 battery remote units to cover my pack.

                          > Am I missing something with the front battery pack or can one
                          remote unit cover the front and one battery in the back also? I
                          thought the remote unit had to be within something like 3 feet of the
                          batteries it is testing.

                          > Jim
                          >

                          > "Will Beckett (Cruzio)" <beckettw@...> wrote:
                          > Another Solectria Force owner and I, are looking into the
                          purchase of a
                          > battery monitoring system. Called the PakTrakr 600EV the system
                          generally
                          > available, comes with a display unit and one remote which would
                          allow you to
                          > connect 6 batteries. So Solectria Force owners would need to
                          purchase two
                          > additional remote units to cover 13 batteries in our pack. The
                          supplier
                          > recognized that this would put the package up to $300, $70 of that
                          just to
                          > cover one additional battery. So for Solectria owners, he is
                          willing to
                          > make a remote that covers 7 batteries which would reduce the price
                          to $220
                          > for the package.
                          >
                          > I would be interested to know how many Solectria owners might also
                          be
                          > interested in purchasing these. Details about the product can be
                          found on
                          > the following we site.
                          >
                          > HYPERLINK
                          > "http://www.paktrakr.com/index.html"http://www.paktrakr.com/index.ht
                          ml

                          > Here's a pictorial explanation of the connections:
                          >
                          > cid:003e01c77b94$b2630ac0$6401a8c0@KensHPLaptop
                          >
                          > The PakTrakr Remotes are in the battery bay(s), and connect to six
                          batteries
                          > each. An 8' three-conductor cable goes from the Remote to the next
                          Remote
                          > in the daisy-chain, or if it's the last Remote in the chain (or the
                          only
                          > Remote), to the single PakTrakr Display on the dash. The Display
                          monitors
                          > ALL the batteries, but show one Remote's batteries at a time. You
                          use the
                          > Display's buttons to page through the Remotes or other display
                          > possibilities.
                          >
                          > - Will
                          > Aptos, CA 95003
                          > (831) 688-8669
                          > HYPERLINK "mailto:will@..."will@...
                          >

                          > --
                          4/18/2007
                          > 7:39 AM

                        • Mike Chancey
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 19 3:59 AM
                            Jim wrote:

                            >My force has 5 batteries in the front (thus requiring one 6 battery
                            >remote unit with one not being used) and 8 in the rear (one 6
                            >battery unit plus two sections from a second 6 battery unit). Thus,
                            >I would need three 6 battery remote units to cover my pack.
                            >
                            >Am I missing something with the front battery pack or can one remote
                            >unit cover the front and one battery in the back also? I thought the
                            >remote unit had to be within something like 3 feet of the batteries
                            >it is testing.

                            I wrote to them last week and Jim Hall at PakTrakr responded:

                            "Extending the Remote leads is easy - simple butt splices do the trick."

                            I guess that means it is a non-issue. I also asked about the data
                            export function and he wrote:

                            "The serial interface is optically isolated from the pack. The
                            PakTrakr puts out a CSV (comma separated values) text data stream
                            every second, so it's easily logged to a file (e.g. via
                            HyperTerminal) and imported into Excel for analysis. We will someday
                            have a "live" application available for viewing data in real time on
                            the PC, but don't yet."

                            PakTrakr making up a 7 battery remote is a really great response for
                            folks with 13 battery EVs.

                            I definitely plan on ordering one of these setups. Individual
                            battery monitoring is something I have wanted ever since I bought my first EV.

                            Thanks,

                            Mike Chancey
                            Kansas City, MO
                          • Jay Grossman
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 19 9:45 AM
                              Will,
                              I am an owner of a 95 force with 13 batteries 5 in the front and 8 in the rear compartment. I am interested in purchasing the system for the $220.00 price indicated.
                              Jay H Grossman

[...]

                              HYPERLINK "mailto:will@becketts. ws"will@becketts. ws

                            • Noel P. Luneau
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 19 11:45 AM
                                This seems like a great product. What I need, in addition to this, is a
                                way to signal a pabst fan to start cooling the battery box in an
                                overheat condition.

                                Noel l

[...]

                                HYPERLINK "mailto:will@... <mailto:will%40becketts.ws>
                                "will@... <mailto:will%40becketts.ws>

                                DISCLAIMER

                                This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. Any distribution or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us by return e-mail at webmaster@..., delete this e-mail and destroy any copies.

                                PsiNapse Technology Ltd may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mails and other telecommunications on its network. By replying to this e-mail you give consent to such monitoring. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. PsiNapse accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

                              • jim donovan