1993 Solectria Force Motors question (Newbie)

  • Joel
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 21, 2007
      Hello, I have a question about the twin motors in the '93 Force. It
      is new to the family and my brother-inlaw and a neighbor just got a
      set of batteries installed. We have full voltage. At first the
      motors did not turn while depressing the accelerator pedal. Then
      finally with a bit of fooling around we got the wheels to turn
      foreward and backward. When you try to start out slowly the wheels
      seem to chatter back and forth barely turning. If you jab the gas
      pedal harder they then will take off finally in the right direction.

      This car seems to have sat quite a while in storage without being
      used, and I was wondering if anything can become stuck in these
      motors? Are there brushes that could be stuck? If so - how are they
      reached? I also noticed that one motor was much warmer compared to
      the other while running the car with the wheels off the ground. It
      seems like they should be similar. Both controllers seemed equally
      (slightly warm) on the coolong fins.

      We have no documentation for the vehicle and need a little help and
      any suggestions that you may have on how to proceed. Does anyone
      have any repair manual info or a source to get a manual? We have
      been in contact with solectria and have not been successful in
      aquiring then so far.

      Sorry for the length of the post- Thanks! Joel
    • Will Beckett (Cruzio)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 21, 2007
        I expect that the only difference with the 93 vs. the 95 through 2000 is
        that they increased the voltage by one battery, went to gel type batteries,
        switched from belt drive to a gear box. I believe there is really only one
        motor. Not sure why you think there are two. The chatter is caused by the
        speed sensor being out of adjustment. The motor is AC, three phase, and
        brushless. I also know of only one controller but maybe there are more
        differences with the older model than I have heard. Others on the list have
        the older model and might be able to help. You can check with Kevin,
        781-932-9009, at Azure (formerly Solectria) and see if they have a manual or
        someone on the list can make you a copy. I have the 1998 manual.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
          Joel:

          I am a bit confused. I have a 1992 Force with a single three phase induction motor. I did not know that they came with two motors. I have heard that sometime the photoelectric tachometer on the back of the motor can get out of adjustment and cause erratic operation. Do you have tachs on your motors?

          Just a thought.

          Sincerely,
          Gary Carlson

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
            Gary,

            It is very interesting that your Force only has one motor. This one
            definitely has two motors and two controllers. I believe the
            difference is that ours is a '93 Force "GT". I did a little fishing
            online and found a similar unit with pictures that is very close to
            ours, but is a '94. There you can see the controllers stacked on top
            of each other and the the two motors end to end, with two drive
            belts that go down to the transmission.

            Goto: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/308.html

            They have the following specs listed:

            Motor Solectria ACgt20 3-Phase AC two 60 HP air cooled
            Drivetrain Solectria single speed
            Controller Solectria AC320 144 Volt, 3 phase
            Batteries Champion GNB, 0.00 Volt, Lead-Acid, AGM
            System Voltage 144 Volts
            Charger a) on-board battery charger (240 VAC, 8-hour full charge)
            Heater yes
            Top Speed 70 MPH (112 KPH)
            Range 120 Miles (193 Kilometers)with original NiCD batteries
            Seating Capacity 2 adults
            Curb Weight 2,271 Pounds (1,032 Kilograms)

            So best as I can tell yours must not be a GT? Very intersting! So no
            one on this list has anything like this huh?

            Thanks, Joel

            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, gjc0@... wrote:

            > Joel:
            >
            > I am a bit confused. I have a 1992 Force with a single three
            phase
            induction motor. I did not know that they came with two motors. I
            have heard that sometime the photoelectric tachometer on the back of
            the motor can get out of adjustment and cause erratic operation. Do
            you have tachs on your motors?

            > Just a thought.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            > Gary Carlson
          • Rex Allison
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
              Early on Solectria had three configurations Single motor AC, dual motor AC, and a 5-speed Brushless DC configuration. The Brushless DC arrangement used the original Geo Metro 5-speed transmission in a clutchless configuration and the single and dual arrangement used the belt drive to a differential (in a custom made housing). I think the dual motor configuration is quite rare since the motors were $1500 and the controllers were $5000 it was too expensive. I drove the 5-speed but I never liked the clutchless arrangement. I think the first 50 to 100 forces were the hatchback with the belt drive and most of the other 200 vehicles used the gearbox. I saw a dual Brushless DC motor that Solectria used at the Phoenix 500 race back in 1992, but I think that was a custom for racing.

              It is very interesting that your Force only has one motor. This one
              definitely has two motors and two controllers. I believe the
              difference is that ours is a '93 Force "GT". I did a little fishing
              online and found a similar unit with pictures that is very close to
              ours, but is a '94. There you can see the controllers stacked on top
              of each other and the the two motors end to end, with two drive
              belts that go down to the transmission.

              Goto: http://www.austinev .org/evalbum/ 308.html

              They have the following specs listed:

              Motor Solectria ACgt20 3-Phase AC two 60 HP air cooled
              Drivetrain Solectria single speed
              Controller Solectria AC320 144 Volt, 3 phase
              Batteries Champion GNB, 0.00 Volt, Lead-Acid, AGM
              System Voltage 144 Volts
              Charger a) on-board battery charger (240 VAC, 8-hour full charge)
              Heater yes
              Top Speed 70 MPH (112 KPH)
              Range 120 Miles (193 Kilometers)with original NiCD batteries
              Seating Capacity 2 adults
              Curb Weight 2,271 Pounds (1,032 Kilograms)

              So best as I can tell yours must not be a GT? Very intersting! So no
              one on this list has anything like this huh?

              Thanks, Joel

              --- In solectria_ev@ yahoogroups. com, gjc0@... wrote:

              > Joel:
              >
              > I am a bit confused. I have a 1992 Force with a single three
              phase
              induction motor. I did not know that they came with two motors. I
              have heard that sometime the photoelectric tachometer on the back of
              the motor can get out of adjustment and cause erratic operation. Do
              you have tachs on your motors?

              > Just a thought.
              >
              > Sincerely,
              > Gary Carlson

            • Noel P. Luneau
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 28, 2007
                Red 1998 Force on eBay, Item number # 330081306935.

                Also a Green 1999, non-working Force, appeared very briefly before it
                was removed - "Other Makes : Solectria Force 1999 Solectria Force green
                color, not running" # 140079632874. Anyone have any information on
                these cars?

                Noel L

                DISCLAIMER

                This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. Any distribution or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.

                If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us by return e-mail at webmaster@..., delete this e-mail and destroy any copies.