NIMH Force running!

  • sorefeets
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2006
      Well, I managed to get my friend's Force running!

      Noel, I got your battery box pictures, and will upload them sometime
      during the week.

      After charging up the 156V of Ovonics modules, we had signs of life,
      but the (only partially connected) DAQ box was beeping away and
      the 'disabled' dashboard LED was lit. Pulling the power connector to
      the DAQ got rid of both and after that we vrified both FWD and REV
      drive operation.

      I'd still desperately like to get the DAQ unit connected up so that
      it can keep an ey on module temps and voltages and run the battery
      box fans as required to keep things happy. So, if anyone has one of
      these critters (DAQ box, with or without a NiMH pack) and can provide
      and details of the module voltage sense connections, I'd love to hear
      from you!

      Also, does anyone have any advice on the proper care and feeding of
      the Ovonics modules? Since this Force appears to be lacking the
      brain to control that nice 6kW Magnacharge box, I've got to program
      up a charger or two for it. I'm hoping it will be possible to charge
      these up without having to have chargers that can monitor individual
      module temps, even if that means having to charge more slowly or
      leave the modules slightly less than fully charged.

      Happy New Year, and thanks in advance for any assistance!

      Roger.
    • Anil Paryani
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
        Roger,

        Slow rate charging will probably be OK. The problem with slow rate charging is knowing when you are done. The most common way (for slow rate charging) is to use peak voltage detection. However, this requires pretty accurate pack votlage measurement. I am not sure if the NG5 chargers can do this.

        I am still planning on dropping in Panasonic NiMH modules. These are much easier to charge and less sensitive to high temperature than the Ovonics. I am using my company's (AeroVironment) battery management system.

        Anil

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
          --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Anil Paryani <sharpanil@...>
          wrote:

          > Slow rate charging will probably be OK. The problem with slow rate
          charging is knowing when you are done. The most common way (for slow
          rate charging) is to use peak voltage detection. However, this
          requires pretty accurate pack votlage measurement. I am not sure if
          the NG5 chargers can do this.

          Not a problem; I'm not using a Zivan ;^>

          My employer is Delta-Q, a manufacturer of sealed high-frequency PFC,
          yada, yada, yada chargers. Our chargers are spec'd for +/-1%
          accuracy on the voltage sense/output, but I can calibrate them in
          software to be more accurate if required.

          > I am still planning on dropping in Panasonic NiMH modules. These
          are much easier to charge and less sensitive to high temperature than
          the Ovonics. I am using my company's (AeroVironment) battery
          management system.

          Cool! We're pretty much "stuck" with the Ovonics modules unless they
          turn out to be defective in some way (voltages all come up nicely,
          but capacity has not been verified yet).

          Any suggestion regarding what constitutes "slow" charging for the
          85Ah Ovonics cells?

          Can anyone elaborate on the temperature sensitivity/issues associated
          with the Ovonics cells? This sounds like it may be the greater
          source of challenges.

          Cheers,

          Roger.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "sorefeets" <rstockton@...> wrote:

            > Cool! We're pretty much "stuck" with the Ovonics modules unless they
            > turn out to be defective in some way (voltages all come up nicely,
            > but capacity has not been verified yet).
            >
            > Any suggestion regarding what constitutes "slow" charging for the
            > 85Ah Ovonics cells?
            >
            > Can anyone elaborate on the temperature sensitivity/issues associated
            > with the Ovonics cells? This sounds like it may be the greater
            > source of challenges.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Roger.

            Here are two urls that are not Ovonics specific but might be helpful
            if you haven't read them. Both are on thermal management. Also check
            with the folks at EV Bones as they seem to be the main source for used
            Ovonics from the GM projects.

            http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/energystorage/pdfs/aabc_lv.pdf

            This one is interesting in that it deals primarily with the Force.
            http://www.mjbradley.com/documents/Abmtp2.pdf

            Mike
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
              I should have added that this URL is a wealth of info on the Force and
              even if you're not into building new battery boxes it provide a wealth
              of information on the late model Force. A good read.

              http://www.mjbradley.com/documents/Abmtp2.pdf

              51 pages of useful info and Force pictures.

              Mike
            • sorefeets
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2007
                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "ldr214" <replytome@...> wrote:

                > Here are two urls that are not Ovonics specific but might be helpful
                > if you haven't read them.

                Thanks Mike!

                I've seen the EVermont document previously and found it didn't have
                much practical info with respect to charging of the batteries, but I'll
                look through it again more carefully. The NREL document is new to me.

                Cheers,

                Roger.