Speedometer conversion

  • Doug Jackson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2006
      I am in the process if replacing the gearbox on my 1999 Selectria Force. The problem I have
      encountered is that the new gearbox does not have a fitting to accept the speedometer cable.
      That means I have to convert the mechanical speedometer to electronic.

      I am told that newer models of the Selectria Force may have had the newer gearbox and thus
      did not have a mechanical speedometer. If that is the case, then perhaps I can retrofit a
      newer speedomoter. Presuming I can locate one.

      I have also been told that there might be a kit for this specific conversion. The contact I was
      given didn't know anything about it.

      Does anybody and any ideas?
    • Doug Jackson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
        Well, I am still having a problem with this issue. However, I have
        discovered a little more information. Perhaps this will trigger some
        ideas.

        The controller is a BRUSA AMC325. According to the user's manual,
        there is 'kilometre counter' function available from the controller.
        This should be enough to feed a speedometer. I do not have the
        knowledge to figure out how to do this. Can anybody help?

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
          Doug,
          The reading I've done on the subject indicates that when you were sold
          the new gear box the speedometer output shaft should have been an
          available option. The supplier should have asked.

          Can the supplier simply get you the right gearbox? If they knew it was
          for a Force they should also have known it needed the speedometer
          option. It isn't like these things are in hundreds of different types
          of cars.

          I haven't a clue as to how you could get a electric kilometre count
          from the controller into the mechanicial speedometer in the Force. The
          gauge is driven by a cable, standard old school speedometer. You would
          need to drive a synchronized motor hooked to the cable. All sounds
          very hard to execute in a neat off the shelf manner. Check some hot
          rod customization suppliers and publications as they have some
          similiar problem to yours in building one off designs.

          If you want to simply go electronic I think a GPS navigation system
          would be a quick and easy solution to knowing how fast you are going.
          And depending upon the model navigation as a side benefit. For those
          long trips in the Force.;-) Most aftermarket units will maintain one
          or more trip logs. Obviously this won't make the dash unit operational
          and you will still have an unverified speedometer for registration
          purposes should you ever sell the vehicle.

          Best of luck,
          Mike