what is battery death like?

  • pbelden@alumni.princeton.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4 11:58 AM
      From the recent conversation on the list I'm beginning to think my batteries will die soon. I have a '99 Force with 11,000 miles on it from 15 months of commuting ~45 miles per day. I torture my batteries beacuse I can't plug in a work. So I get them up to 40 amp hours about 5 days a week. I average about 1 mile/Ah but frequently stop for a short 10 amp hour charge from a public 220 outlet on the weay home while I grab a bit to eat. Without that charge I've had them at 56 amp hours a few times, but I really avoid that.

      How will I know that my batteries are dying? I'm guessing the car will grow more sluggish at lower amp hour ratings. The sluggishness now hits around 40/45 I'd guess. Does the range decrease?

      Fortunately I only have 2 more months with this commute and then I have the summer for vacation before I head to school. During summer and school the car will have only very light driving.

      -Peter
    • BECKETT,WILL (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4 2:08 PM
        Peter,

        Sounds like they are OK for now but you will see your range dropping off
        until it is about a quarter of what it is now.

        -Will