Re: [solectria_ev] Re: Valence Lithium Update

  • Stephen Taylor
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 8, 2006
      laminar1314 <2kwm@...> wrote: Keep in mind that the lithium pack weighs 300 pounds less, has more than twice the
      range, and should last longer. This is an major upgrade in every way. The car should
      accelerate quicker, climb better , handle lighter, and go faster up shallow hills and rises on
      the freeway. I'm looking for something that performs more like my Rav4ev.

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "laminar1314" <2kwm@...> wrote:
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------From my experience, what you are saying is true. The Force with Valence batteries is quicker and handles lighter, but it still isn't the highway cruiser that a RAV4 EV is.

      Stephen Taylor

      Visit Your Group

      Alternative fuels
      Automotive car cover
      Automotive car part
      Automotive fuel saver
      Hybrid electric car

      Yahoo! News
      Politics debate?
      Get the latest
      political news now

      New business?
      Get new customers.
      List your web site
      in Yahoo! Search.

      Yahoo! Groups
      Start a group
      in 3 easy steps.
      Connect with others.

      .

    • Rex Allison
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 8, 2006
        Hi all,
        First of all I would love to have Li batteries but I
        see the math a little different based on my driving
        habits.
        I drive on average 8.6 miles a day. That is 8.6
        miles/day x 365 days/year = 3,139 miles/year. If I can
        squeeze 18,000 out of my pack that is almost 6 years,
        let say I get 5 years to be on the safe side. I am
        going to spend $1,300 - $1,500 for a new pack, or
        $1,500/5years = $300 per year. For the Group 24
        Valence batteries at $15,000 I would have to drive the
        same pack for 50 years if my driving habits don't
        change much. Realistically the car isn't going to last
        that long.
        Now having said that I will still be watching the
        price of batteries to see if any other chemistry hits
        a price point that is more economical for my driving
        habits then Lead Acid.

        Rex

        --- theoldcars@... wrote:

        > Dan
        >
        > If they have 2000 cycles at 80% DOD and your range
        > is 80 miles that is
        > 160,000 miles before you hit 2000 cycles. At 20,000
        > miles your at about the end of
        > the Deka gel battery. Sure you can still keep
        > running them but the range
        > would be dropping. Going 160,000 miles with the Deka
        > would cost 13,520 dollars
        > not counting the time it takes to change the pack 8
        > times.
        >
        > So dollar wise it is not that far off when you
        > consideration the range and
        > vehicle being lighter. Your really changing the
        > whole vehicle.
        >
        > As I posted earlier a pack of U27 would cost 19,890
        > dollars with a 40
        > percent discount.
        >
        > I am looking at buying 56 or 60 batteries all we
        > need is another 940
        > batteries spoken for.
        >
        > Don

        > Daylight Time,
        > dannybehr@... writes:
        >

        > Don't forget they last at least 3 times as long (in
        > years and miles) and at least twice the range.
        > Therefore, to make the comparison fair, you have to
        > multiply the price of sealed lead acid by >6 to get
        > the equivalent price for the Valence. So the price
        > only needs to come down by less than 40% (from the
        > 27%
        > discount) to be competetive.
        >
        > Dan Wentworth
        > 97 Solectria Force
        >
        > --- Randy Saxton <_Randy@..._
        > (mailto:Randy@...) > wrote:
        >
        > > Ken,
        > >
        > > Great idea, but they've got to do better on the
        > > price. Isn't that about
        > > 10 times the cost of sealed lead acid?
        > >
        > > Randy Saxton
        > >

        > > laminar1314 wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hi all,
        > > >
        > > > Got an e-mail from Valence today that included
        > the
        > > following:
        > > >
        > > > Discounts with quantity (for U-Charge - not the
        > > BMS or BDI):
        > > > 50-249: 27%
        > > > 250-999: 32%
        > > > 1000-5000: 36%
        > > > 5000+ : 40%
        > > >
        > > > This means that it would only take 5 buyers to
        > > qualify for a 27% price
        > > > break. Thirteen 130Ah
        > > > U27's would cost $24200. If we continue to get
        > > positive feedback from
        > > > the few pioneers who
        > > > have made the purchase, then I'm in and ready to
        > > go.
        > > >
        > > > I think it would be a good idea to start forming
        > > list of buyers.
        > > > This could include other
        > > > vehicles and user groups, but this is not
        > > essential according to the
        > > > discount schedule. What
        > > > do people think?
        > > >
        > > > Ken Martin

        > removed]

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Adam Kuehn
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 8, 2006
          Just out of curiosity, are your driving habits at least partially
          dictated by your range? For most PbA EV drivers, I would suspect the
          answer is yes. If so, you should figure in the possible change to
          your driving habits which the increased range would allow.

          Of course, I'm not saying that you, in particular, would change a
          thing. I'm just saying it is worth asking the question for most people.

          -Adam

          At 03:48 PM 9/8/2006, you wrote:

          >Hi all,
          >First of all I would love to have Li batteries but I
          >see the math a little different based on my driving
          >habits.
          >I drive on average 8.6 miles a day. That is 8.6
          >miles/day x 365 days/year = 3,139 miles/year. If I can
          >squeeze 18,000 out of my pack that is almost 6 years,
          >let say I get 5 years to be on the safe side. I am
          >going to spend $1,300 - $1,500 for a new pack, or
          >$1,500/5years = $300 per year. For the Group 24
          >Valence batteries at $15,000 I would have to drive the
          >same pack for 50 years if my driving habits don't
          >change much. Realistically the car isn't going to last
          >that long.
          >Now having said that I will still be watching the
          >price of batteries to see if any other chemistry hits
          >a price point that is more economical for my driving
          >habits then Lead Acid.
          >
          >Rex
        • Rex Allison
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 8, 2006
            Adam,
            I use my Force for going to work, school, groceries,
            and the hardware store. I am centerally located and I
            also live in a flat area where the climate doesn't
            change much, low in the 40s and high in the 90s so you
            could say that the the car fits my lifestyle. My wife
            has a mid sized sedan for longer trips and erans.
            Now I have only had my Force for one year, but I have
            lived and worked in Northern California for 12 years
            and all those years except one I have put about 3,000
            to 3,500 miles on my car. My car actually gets used a
            little more because my wife likes to use it for short
            trips when I am home.

            Rex

            --- Adam Kuehn <akuehn@...> wrote:

            > Just out of curiosity, are your driving habits at
            > least partially
            > dictated by your range? For most PbA EV drivers, I
            > would suspect the
            > answer is yes. If so, you should figure in the
            > possible change to
            > your driving habits which the increased range would
            > allow.
            >
            > Of course, I'm not saying that you, in particular,
            > would change a
            > thing. I'm just saying it is worth asking the
            > question for most people.
            >
            > -Adam
            >
            > At 03:48 PM 9/8/2006, you wrote:
            >
            > >Hi all,
            > >First of all I would love to have Li batteries but
            > >see the math a little different based on my driving
            > >habits.
            > >I drive on average 8.6 miles a day. That is 8.6
            > >miles/day x 365 days/year = 3,139 miles/year. If I
            > can
            > >squeeze 18,000 out of my pack that is almost 6
            > years,
            > >let say I get 5 years to be on the safe side. I am
            > >going to spend $1,300 - $1,500 for a new pack, or
            > >$1,500/5years = $300 per year. For the Group 24
            > >Valence batteries at $15,000 I would have to drive
            > the
            > >same pack for 50 years if my driving habits don't
            > >change much. Realistically the car isn't going to
            > last
            > >that long.
            > >Now having said that I will still be watching the
            > >price of batteries to see if any other chemistry
            > hits
            > >a price point that is more economical for my
            > driving
            > >habits then Lead Acid.
            > >
            > >Rex

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Ed Garcia
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 8, 2006
              Sounds like you are the ideal canidiate for PbA. Li is probably a waste of money for you. Of course maybe a second Li Force for your wife...

              --- Adam Kuehn <akuehn@.... com> wrote:

              > Just out of curiosity, are your driving habits at
              > least partially
              > dictated by your range? For most PbA EV drivers, I
              > would suspect the
              > answer is yes. If so, you should figure in the
              > possible change to
              > your driving habits which the increased range would
              > allow.
              >
              > Of course, I'm not saying that you, in particular,
              > would change a
              > thing. I'm just saying it is worth asking the
              > question for most people.
              >
              > -Adam
              >
              > At 03:48 PM 9/8/2006, you wrote:
              >
              > >Hi all,
              > >First of all I would love to have Li batteries but
              > >see the math a little different based on my driving
              > >habits.
              > >I drive on average 8.6 miles a day. That is 8.6
              > >miles/day x 365 days/year = 3,139 miles/year. If I
              > can
              > >squeeze 18,000 out of my pack that is almost 6
              > years,
              > >let say I get 5 years to be on the safe side. I am
              > >going to spend $1,300 - $1,500 for a new pack, or
              > >$1,500/5years = $300 per year. For the Group 24
              > >Valence batteries at $15,000 I would have to drive
              > the
              > >same pack for 50 years if my driving habits don't
              > >change much. Realistically the car isn't going to
              > last
              > >that long.
              > >Now having said that I will still be watching the
              > >price of batteries to see if any other chemistry
              > hits
              > >a price point that is more economical for my
              > driving
              > >habits then Lead Acid.
              > >
              > >Rex

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail. yahoo.com

            • d. Bouton Baldridge
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 11, 2006
                Heaven knows that the benefits of the lion battery are probably worth the cost in the long run, but there is one factor that we all seem to be overlooking...the Geo is a cheap car, its bad enough that they "Forced" some very high tech expensive stuff into such a weak platform, but the car itself was never worth the huge investment. I have a hard time keeping the mirors on. I only invested $ 5000 in mine initially, then another $3000 for batteries and accessories, charger etc. but the fact is I am not sure how long the car can hold together. It is perfect for all of the round town trips and is extreemly inexpensive on energy use as is. Dumping another 18 or 20 thou to get better range when it is doubtful that we will be able to find parts after that time much less all of the wear and tear on a cheap chassis does not seem practical. I am sure I will offend some of you out there, I love my little "Force" and my RangerEV and hope to nurse them for as long as I can, but I am
                trying to be real; even now they are fast becoming museum pieces, like it or not.
                Bouty

                "Will Beckett (cruzio)" <beckettw@...> wrote:
                but they will last 6 times longer and yield three times the range than
                lead/acid.

                - Will
                Aptos, CA 95003
                (831) 688-8669
                will@...

                _____

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 11, 2006
                  You got into your Solectria for a very good price. From what I have seen
                  they are going for more money now on eBay and even with them being worth more
                  hardly anyone is selling.

                  Don

                  In a message dated 9/11/2006 8:02:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  cfrkeepr@... writes:

                  Heaven knows that the benefits of the lion battery are probably worth the
                  cost in the long run, but there is one factor that we all seem to be
                  overlooking.Heaven knows that the benefits of the lion battery are probably worth the
                  cost in the long run, but there is one factor that we all seem to be
                  overlooking.<WBR>..the Geo is a cheap car, its bad enough that they "Forced" some very

                  _will@..._ (mailto:will@...)

                  _____

                  From: _solectria_ev@solectria_evsol_ (mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com)

                  laminar1314 wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > Got an e-mail from Valence today that included the following:
                  >
                  > Discounts with quantity (for U-Charge - not the BMS or BDI):
                  > 50-249: 27%
                  > 250-999: 32%
                  > 1000-5000: 36%
                  > 5000+ : 40%
                  >
                  > This means that it would only take 5 buyers to qualify for a 27% price
                  > break. Thirteen 130Ah
                  > U27's would cost $24200. If we continue to get positive feedback from
                  > the few pioneers who
                  > have made the purchase, then I'm in and ready to go.
                  >
                  > I think it would be a good idea to start forming a list of buyers.
                  > This could include other
                  > vehicles and user groups, but this is not essential according to the
                  > discount schedule. What
                  > do people think?
                  >
                  > Ken Martin

                • Brett Kelien
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 12, 2006
                    While some of the Solectria vehicles have been going
                    high on Ebay ,I have been wacthing this last one and
                    it has not been paid for yet .I have no proof of
                    course but he was wanting 27k for it and it went for
                    24k and it looks like the bid was run up just to try
                    and make it go higher I have emailed both high bidders
                    and gotten no response.And it does happen .

                    http://mail.yahoo.com