Battery emissions

  • Mark Freidberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
      One of my EVs is a 1994 BAT Intl. Geo Metro conversion. It's a 144v
      dc system powered by 12 group 30 AGMs made by Universal battery that
      were installed in May of this year. They now have about 70
      charge/discharge cycles and 900 miles of use on them. I like to think
      of my Geo EV as a d.c. close cousin of the Solectria Forces and thus
      on topic:

      http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/preview.php?vid=701

      Anyway at least some of the batts in my Geo have been venting since
      installation. The venting is not due to overcharging. My guess is the
      sealing valves simply are not sealing well. The batts are pretty
      stinky even if not quite as bad as flooded batts but still the
      emissions are a significant negative. Continuing exposure to these
      emissions won't be an acceptable outcome for this EVer so I'd like to
      implement a solution in the near term.

      Have any group members ever noticed any odor from the Deka/East
      Penn/Mk battery gel cells powering the Solectria Forces? Any odor
      whatsoever? From what I understand, the issue really boils down to
      whther the battery sealing valves are airtight. If overcharged they
      should vent, but then reseal airtight. That's the ideal. But is it
      happening in practice?

      Mark Freidberg
    • Gordon Stallings
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
        Yes, sometimes I get a thin odor of acid from my Deka gels. My BC3KW
        charger doesn't shut down after a full charge but instead continues
        to run the meter negative at the rate of about -6.00 per day. This
        has caused some venting. A white oxide powder on the battery
        terminals is also evidence of the venting. After going through four
        chargers from Solectria, I decided to just live with it. Battery
        life hasn't been hurt too much, since I've had the same batteries for
        over 6 years and they're still OK. Most of the time there is no
        noticeable odor. The venting seems to occur on hot days and
        sometimes even without charging, such as when the car sits in a
        parking lot. However, these gel batteries are such an enormous
        improvement over flooded type, I'll never consider floodeds again.

      • gjc0@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
          Mark:

          I have 2- 3 year old MK Batteries in my force with 16K miles on them and probably 1000 cycles. No order, no sign of venting.

          Sincerely,
          Gary Carlson

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
            I have never seen any venting since I replaced my batteries and
            charger (BC3000 = NLG4). But when I first got my Force the charger
            was overcharging the batteries and the result was acid that had
            destroyed one of the heating pads. I would be extremely cautious
            about any venting in a car like a Force with essentially sealed
            battery compartments. Any source of ignition in such a situation (for
            example I don't know whether the cooling fan and the thermostat
            switches are ignition protected) and you could have an explosion.

            Ken
          • theoldcars@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
              Hello Mark

              AGM batteries should not be venting. They do vent when they are overcharged.
              The venting is a safety release of too much pressure. The AGM are under
              pressure to recombine hydrogen and oxygen back to water. The AGM being sealed you
              have no way of adding water or how much to add even if you did. You also
              would lose the pressure they have that is part of the process built into an AGM
              battery.

              Any venting of gases really is a loss of water and is going to have some
              effect on their capacity and life. If they vent all the time is going to cause
              early battery failure. You either have a poorly made battery or you are
              overcharging them. This can happen very easy with series charging without
              monitoring each battery. Batteries get out of balance and the low batteries cause the
              full batteries to become overcharge. Gel batteries stay in balance better and
              that is why Solectria used them. The AGM is a great battery but it really
              needs a BMS and a smart charger.

              Think of a flooded battery that you only replaced the water loss just below
              the lead plates. The battery will still work and you would not even notice
              the loss at first if it was just an inch or less. If you kept lowering the
              level you would be doing what happens to an AGM when it is venting.

              The AGM batteries are only as good as how much hydrogen and oxygen they can
              recombine into water.

              Don

              _http://www.austinevhttp://www.auhttp://www.ahttp://_
[...]

              _Messages in this topic _
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev/message/2128;_ylc=X3oDMTM0YWdjcjEyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQyNjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjA
              wMTI2MjEyBG1zZ0lkAzIxMjgEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMTU3NTMwNjkyBHRwY0lkA
              zIxMjg-) (1) _Reply (via web post) _
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwZGpqcW1oBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQyNjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxN
              jAwMTI2MjEyBG1zZ0lkAzIxMjgEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMTU3NTMwNjky?act=re
              ply&messageNum=2128) | _Start a new topic _
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlYWYxbDJhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQyNjQEZ3Jwc
              3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjEyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE1NzUzMDY5Mg--)
              _Messages_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJlamU1a28yBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQyNjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjEyBHNlYwNmdHI
              Ec2xrA21zZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTE1NzUzMDY5Mg--) | _Files_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJmYWY0cmUwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQyNj
              QEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjEyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2ZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzExNTc1MzA2OTI-)
              | _Photos_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJlc2U0MzZlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQyNjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjEyBHNlYwNmdHIEc
              2xrA3Bob3QEc3RpbWUDMTE1NzUzMDY5Mg--) | _Links_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMjhybXRpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQyNjQE
              Z3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjEyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2xpbmtzBHN0aW1lAzExNTc1MzA2OTI-) |
              _Database_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJjbzFxcDkwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQyNjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjEyBHNlYwNmdHI
              Ec2xrA2RiBHN0aW1lAzExNTc1MzA2OTI-) | _Polls_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJmaW1scHFrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQyNjQEZ3
              Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjEyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3BvbGxzBHN0aW1lAzExNTc1MzA2OTI-) |
              _Members_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJla3RodGoyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQyNjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjEyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2x
              rA21icnMEc3RpbWUDMTE1NzUzMDY5Mg--) | _Calendar_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJkcjQxOTUwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQy
              NjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjEyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2NhbARzdGltZQMxMTU3NTMwNjky)

              You are receiving Individual Emails _Change Delivery Settings _
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNG1jNmU4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdyc
              ElkAzE5OTQyNjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjEyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzExNTc
              1MzA2OTI-)
              _Visit Your Group _
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZWlqbXJqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQyNjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjEyBHNlYwNmdH
              IEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMTU3NTMwNjky) | _Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use _
              (http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/) | _Unsubscribe _

              Recent Activity
              * 1
              _New Members_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbTQ4ZjJkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQyNjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjEyBHNlYwN2
              dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzExNTc1MzA2OTI-)

              _Visit Your Group _
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solectria_ev;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOTgwYjlpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5OTQyNjQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMTI2MjEyBHNlYwN2dG
              wEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTE1NzUzMDY5Mg--)

              * _Alternative fuels_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJjbDFxM283BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzEEZ3JwSWQDMTk5NDI2NARncnBzcElkAzE2MDAxMjYyMTIEc2VjA3Ns
              bW9kBHN0aW1lAzExNTc1MzA2OTI-?t=ms&k=Alternative+fuels&w1=Alternative+fuels&w2=
              Automotive+car+cover&w3=Automotive+car+part&w4=Automotive+fuel+saver&w5=Hybrid
              +electric+car&c=5&s=126&g=2&.sig=OGSvCDEorUZJxYCyxG9CSw)
              * _Automotive car cover_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJjN2R0dnR2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ3JwSWQDMTk5NDI2NARncnBzcElkAzE2MDAxMjYyMTIEc2VjA
              3NsbW9kBHN0aW1lAzExNTc1MzA2OTI-?t=ms&k=Automotive+car+cover&w1=Alternative+fue
              ls&w2=Automotive+car+cover&w3=Automotive+car+part&w4=Automotive+fuel+saver&w5=
              Hybrid+electric+car&c=5&s=126&g=2&.sig=jpOIWra5zHC1hh5fa9Peag)
              * _Automotive car part_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJjcjRiNGtrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzMEZ3JwSWQDMTk5NDI2NARncnBzcElkAzE2MDAxMjYyMTIEc2VjA3
              NsbW9kBHN0aW1lAzExNTc1MzA2OTI-?t=ms&k=Automotive+car+part&w1=Alternative+fuels
              &w2=Automotive+car+cover&w3=Automotive+car+part&w4=Automotive+fuel+saver&w5=Hy
              brid+electric+car&c=5&s=126&g=2&.sig=pT5pVZ-U5_W0gonbusAmfg)
              * _Automotive fuel saver_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJjamRzc3FyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzQEZ3JwSWQDMTk5NDI2NARncnBzcElkAzE2MDAxMjYyMTIEc2Vj
              A3NsbW9kBHN0aW1lAzExNTc1MzA2OTI-?t=ms&k=Automotive+fuel+saver&w1=Alternative+f
              uels&w2=Automotive+car+cover&w3=Automotive+car+part&w4=Automotive+fuel+saver&w
              5=Hybrid+electric+car&c=5&s=126&g=2&.sig=eGOOtJY-crUNWYAigOHhoQ)
              * _Hybrid electric car_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJjcWJkdDRsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzUEZ3JwSWQDMTk5NDI2NARncnBzcElkAzE2MDAxMjYyMTIEc2VjA3
              NsbW9kBHN0aW1lAzExNTc1MzA2OTI-?t=ms&k=Hybrid+electric+car&w1=Alternative+fuels
              &w2=Automotive+car+cover&w3=Automotive+car+part&w4=Automotive+fuel+saver&w5=Hy
              brid+electric+car&c=5&s=126&g=2&.sig=Dwcl3ugmWDy4CwFbvihfWw)

              Yahoo! News
              _Movies News_
              (http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12htrji5j/M=493064.8985662.9760764.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126212:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1157537892/A=3848620/R=0/SIG=12t
              fnnvu6/*http://news.yahoo.com/i/790;_ylt=A9FJqaIBxK5ErIUAIwlxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA
              2MnU4czRtBHNlYwNzbg--)
              All the latest
              on films and stars

              Need traffic?
              _Drive customers_
              (http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h4glgcn/M=493064.8985663.9760769.8674578/D=groups/S=1705126212:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1157537892/A=3848644/R=0/SIG
              =131l83flq/*http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/arp/srchv2.php?o=US2006&cmp=Yahoo
              &ctv=Groups5&s=Y&s2=&s3=&b=50)
              With search ads
              on Yahoo!

              Yahoo! Groups
              _Start a group_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/start;_ylc=X3oDMTJvOGZudjI0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzMEZ3JwSWQDMTk5NDI2NARncnBzcElkAzE2MDAxMjYyMTIEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawN
              ncm91cHMyBHN0aW1lAzExNTc1MzA2OTI-)
              in 3 easy steps.
              Connect with others.

              .

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
                Mark,
                My 13 gels (east penn) don't vent. Nor have any of the agm batteries I
                have ever owned. If your sure your not out of balance or putting to
                much current into the batteries in the final stages of charge I would
                be removing them and finding out what I can get for them via any
                warranty. Especially if they did this when new. There is no advantage
                to owning sealed batteries that aren't. Something just isn't right.
                Did you replace prior agm's in the car and have no problem with them?

                Mike Rydjord
                97 Pba

                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Freidberg" <mark58150@...>
                wrote:

                > One of my EVs is a 1994 BAT Intl. Geo Metro conversion. It's a 144v
                > dc system powered by 12 group 30 AGMs made by Universal battery that
                > were installed in May of this year. They now have about 70
                > charge/discharge cycles and 900 miles of use on them. I like to think
                > of my Geo EV as a d.c. close cousin of the Solectria Forces and thus
                > on topic:
                >
                > http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/preview.php?vid=701
                >
                > Anyway at least some of the batts in my Geo have been venting since
                > installation. The venting is not due to overcharging. My guess is the
                > sealing valves simply are not sealing well. The batts are pretty
                > stinky even if not quite as bad as flooded batts but still the
                > emissions are a significant negative. Continuing exposure to these
                > emissions won't be an acceptable outcome for this EVer so I'd like to
                > implement a solution in the near term.
                >
                > Have any group members ever noticed any odor from the Deka/East
                > Penn/Mk battery gel cells powering the Solectria Forces? Any odor
                > whatsoever? From what I understand, the issue really boils down to
                > whther the battery sealing valves are airtight. If overcharged they
                > should vent, but then reseal airtight. That's the ideal. But is it
                > happening in practice?
                >
                > Mark Freidberg

              • Mark Freidberg
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
                  Hi Mike,

                  This is the first new pack I have installed in the Geo. At least some
                  of them were venting when new. Additionally I did notice emissions
                  from at least some of the 12 when handling right out of the box prior
                  to installation in the Geo. The odor emission is chronic, so its like
                  the sealing valves (assuming there are some) simply are leaky instead
                  of actively opening to release pressure. Battery voltages have
                  frequently been carefully monitored during charging using a digital
                  voltmeter. And the Russco charger outputs a low amperage and these
                  are big batteries. So I am certain the emissions are not due to
                  overcharging.

                  Mark Freidberg

                • theoldcars@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
                    Hello Mark

                    I would contact who you bought the battery from as soon as possible and let
                    them know. They should not be just venting.

                    Don

                    --- In _solectria_ev@solectria_evsol_ (mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com) ,

                    , "Mark Freidberg" <mark58150@>