Re: [solectria_ev] Solectria EV Purchase Query

  • Ken Olum
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
      From: "Rick Covert" <wd5l@...>
      Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:56:47 -0000

      I read a post of a 1998 Solectria Force for sale. The owner's asking
      price is $16,000.00. It only has 8,667 miles on it but it has been
      repainted and it has had it's batteries changed out.

      This is top dollar, but not unreasonable if the car is really
      in perfect condition. I would be concerned about the charger,
      though. Why were the batteries changed at less than 9K miles? One
      possibility is a charger problem. Another is that it sat discharged
      for years and the seller has just changed the batteries, which is
      fine, but you do want to make sure that the batteries have been kept
      charged since they were changed.

      Ken
    • Jay Grossman
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
        Rick,
        What type of batteries, pb Gel or Nimh? Before purchase you might want to run a search on the vehicle to make certain that it was not in an accident as the cause for a new paint job. A local mechanic can check out the non-electrical drive components of the vehicle (brakes, stearing suspension etc) to make certain that they are in working order and once on his lift he can check for rust.
        Jay H Grossman

        Rick Covert <wd5l@...> wrote:
        I read a post of a 1998 Solectria Force for sale. The owner's asking
        price is $16,000.00. It only has 8,667 miles on it but it has been
        repainted and it has had it's batteries changed out.

        The car is in a northeastern state that gets alot of snow. Should I be
        concerned that the car may have some rust? Is $16,000.00 a reasonable
        price for the car?