Problem Amp Hour Meter

  • lktaku
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi all,

      I've got a question about my 96 Pb Acid Solectria....

      I've noticed over the past 3 months that the amp hour meter doesn't
      seem to be working correctly. I'll be driving and de-celerating when
      it should show the green light blinking and decreasing the amps, but
      it sometimes does this and sometimes doesn't. In addiition, there
      are times when it will charge all the way to 0, but often it will
      not, even though I hear the charger working and the secondary
      measure of charging (a green light) is blinking (this is an
      aftermarket device that seems to just indicate when charging is
      happening).

      Sometimes if I sit in the car when it's charging and just tap on the
      plastic in front of the amp hour meter it seems to get unstuck and
      the numbers go down again.

      I tightened all the battery connections and had a friend run a
      baseline test and they all seem to be fine.

      The one other thing I noticed is that the Voltmeter, which normally
      reads around 144 is really dipping down - say to 130 or less when I
      am accelerating hard to get on the highway...I don't remember if it
      did this before or not. When I let my foot off the gas, the
      Voltmeter bounced back up to 144....don't know if this is involved
      or just a random thing I noticed.

      Any suggestions on how to proceed? I'm limiting how much I'm driving
      it because I don't know how much juice I really have right now...

      Thanks! Lisa
    • gjc0@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
        Lisa:

        Are you the Force owner in the Sun Valley, Idaho area?

        Concerning your 1996 Solectria. It was a good idea to check all the connections.
        When you said that a freind ran a base line test, can you explain further what that is?

        You mentioned the votage dropping from 144 t0 130 during hard acceleration. I assume that you have twelve 12V flooded lead acids? (or are they gels?)

        On my twelve 12V gel 1992 Solectria Force, I typically see 150+V after a complete charge and then it drops into the 140V range during hard acceleration. For a fully charge pack, 130V seems a bit low.

        Before I suspect a weak cell, let me know the battery model number and how many amps you are pulling during hard acceleration.

        Sincerely,
        Gary Carlson
        Boise, Id
        1992 Solectria Force (AMPEATR)

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
          Greetings all:

          The movie "Who Killed the Electric Car?" finally made it to Boise.
          The three EVers in the Boise Valley went out to dinner across the street from the theater and took in the 7:05 show on opening night.

          I recommend the movie to anyone who wants a little background on EVs. It also shows the forces working against the EV.

          Sincerely,
          Gary Carlson
          Boise, Idaho
        • Will Beckett (cruzio)
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
            I am not sure I understand your questions completely. I can tell you that
            the voltage drop when you accelerate, is completely normal. If you
            batteries are fully charged you should see at least 13 + volts per battery
            so with 12 batteries 156 volts. I have 13 batteries and my voltage runs
            better than 170 when fully charged.

            Charging should take your meter into negative numbers. At least 1ampH but I
            have seen it go better than -4 ampH. When you are at this stage, if you
            open the driver side door, the meter will reset to zero if it is working
            normally.

            I haven't ever seen the meter change due to tapping on the meter. The
            control circuit is under the steering wheel, so it is not likely to be
            affected by this. Be sure you regen switch is turned on, (not in the
            slippery or wet road setting) it should be in the dry setting or the green
            light will not come on while driving.

            Some times the meter requires a reset using the disconnect wire but
            generally you would only do this if it wasn't working at all.

            Hope this helps. I am sure others will give you more details and more
            specifics.

            - Will
            Aptos, CA 95003
            (831) 688-8669
            will@...

            _____

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
              two thuumbs up on who killed the elecric car ,my wife
              finally understood what all has been going on within
              the ev world ,and actually got mad about it . Like she
              says about the S10 "SElectric" Im building I have no
              clue what you are doing but I do know it's cool.Our
              E10 has for the most part become our primary vehicle
              and when I finish the SElectric she will drive the E10
              full time .

              http://mail.yahoo.com