Re: [ranger-ev] Fact check

  • theoldcars@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2006
      The simple answer is GM did not sell the EV1 because it did not want to. GM
      sold the S-10 with exact same running gear as the EV1. There was less S-10
      trucks on the road than the EV1 so the excuse of meeting some Federal law sounds
      like a ridiculous excuse.

      GM made a very limited effort to lease the EV1 when it was being forced to.
      When the car manufacturers won in California GM was focused on removing every
      EV1 from the road so they could crush them.

      Ford sold the Ranger and Toyota sold the RAV4. GM refused to sell the EV1
      and to make matters worse sold the best battery made to date for electric
      vehicles to Chevron.

      GM would not sell EV1 with a full release for parts. Parts that could have
      been used to keep the S-10 trucks on the road they did sell. I might add some
      of those parts are very expensive.

      I am very disappointed in GM and will not buy another new car from any car
      manufacturer until it has a plug on it. I have offered all our company
      employees free tickets for them and a friend to see WKTEC. If more people refused to
      buy new cars without a plug new cars sales would drop. Let your local
      dealership know you are waiting for a plug in hybrid or your not going to buy. If
      they get enough calls and sales drop it will happen.

      Don

      In a message dated 8/7/2006 11:19:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      phabib@... writes:

      I have also heard of the years of parts support law. I can't cite
      where to find it though. I also have heard that the manufacturer
      does not have to keep making the parts, just make enough for the
      estimated demand for the time period prior to shutting down production.

      On Aug 3, 2006, at 1:54 PM, Brad E Jensen wrote:

      > In discussing the documentary "Who killed the electric car" on a
      > local board, I got the following response to my question of why GM
      > found it necessary to crush the EV1 instead of making it available
      > to the leasees:
      >

      > There are federal regulations in place that protect the end users
      > of vehicles. A corporation is required to supply replacement parts
      > for a certain number of years. They would also be liable for all
      > safety and environmental issues those vehicles created. If the
      > vehicles had been allowed to remain in service, GM would have lost
      > many more millions of dollars supporting them.
      >
      > It was cheaper to recall and kill them than leave them on the
      > roads. They didn't make enough of them to support the ongoing costs
      > that those vehicles would have created just by there continued
      > existence.
      >
      > That sounded reasonable, but then I could find no such federal
      > regulation. Are there any such regulations? If so, then would
      > they also apply to the Ranger EV? If that is so, then does that
      > means that Ford is required by law to keep making parts for my truck?

      > To unsubscribe, send email to:
      > _ranger-ev-unsubscriranger-ev-unsubran_
      (mailto:ranger-ev-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com)

    • Mike Phillips
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2006
        Not doubting you , but I'm curious how you know the S10 has the same
        hardware as the EV-1?

        Mike

      • theoldcars@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2006
          Hello Mike

          I have owned an S-10 EV for 3 years. It is one of the things I have learned
          about them.

          You can also check with EV Bones or some of the current S-10 owners who
          leased an EV1. The EV1 pictures and diagrams I have come across also show them
          being the same. If that is not enough the ratings on the motor and the charging
          system are exactly the same. They also shared the same batteries.

          The only differences are the body and dash instruments.

          Don

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 9, 2006
            That is seriously cool. So they could not destroy all of the
            technology because of the trucks.

            Are there any posted pics of the electronics? I have a USE truck and
            am interested in the GM version.

            Mike

            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, theoldcars@... wrote:

            > Hello Mike
            >
            > I have owned an S-10 EV for 3 years. It is one of the things I have
            learned
            > about them.
            >
            > You can also check with EV Bones or some of the current S-10 owners
            who
            > leased an EV1. The EV1 pictures and diagrams I have come across also
            show them
            > being the same. If that is not enough the ratings on the motor and
            the charging
            > system are exactly the same. They also shared the same batteries.
            >
            > The only differences are the body and dash instruments.
            >
            > Don
            >

            > In a message dated 8/8/2006 6:56:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            > mikep_95133@... writes:
            >

            > Not doubting you , but I'm curious how you know the S10 has the same
            > hardware as the EV-1?
            >
            > Mike

          • Terry Merrell
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2006
              All of my reseach indicates the components are the same. Additionally, I was
              told by the person that sold me my E10 that EV Bones acquired many of their
              spare parts from a salvage dealer hired by GM to "recycle" the parts for
              their metal value only. The salvage dealer apparently ignored GM's wishes
              and sold a large number of items to EV Bones. This is not somethng I can
              prove or disprove, just something told to me.

              The reason I give the rumor credit is the innocuous ways I heard it. My E10
              was purchased by the person I purchased it from with dead batteries. Instead
              of buying new batteries he found used salvaged EV1 batteries available from
              a metal salvage dealer in Arizona. THe batteries do not fit well in an E10,
              but they got the truck running enough to begin diagnosis and repair.

              I was simply asking where the batteries came from. He stated this salvage
              dealer had been contracted to handle the disposal of recycleable items on
              the EV1s. He was also under the impression GM was rather unhappy with the
              salvage dealer when they discovered he was selling the batteries instead of
              recycling them. The batteries are definitely EV1 or S10E batteries, that
              much I am sure. I can see no reason why this person would fabricate the
              story. Additionally, it seems the salvage dealer tried to conceal the
              identity of the batteries. He removed all of the labels on the batteries.

              When considering purchasing an S10E 2 or 3 years ago, I talked to Jeff at EV
              Bones about his supply of spare parts and he didnt want to discuss their
              origins at all. His seemingly shady attititude more or less was the
              determining factor in my decision to not purchase an S10E f and focus on
              finding an E10. At the time his attitude seemed weird. However, now I can
              understand why he was the way he was.

              I am happy with my E10, but I am still interested in an S10E.

              I still have a handful of the batteries, but they are now in poor condition.

              Terry Merrell
              1996 E10