Re: [solectria_ev] Any help would be great

  • Brett Kelien
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 30 9:08 AM
      yes I just tested the charger and it is in fact not
      working the pack voltage was 152.5 now that I have
      driven it some its 145.3v I am going to replace the
      resistors (where the heat sensors were) and see if it
      doesnt start charging if not then I will open it up
      and check the fuses and proceed from there .If I
      remember correctly its a 330k ohm and it should be
      3300k in there help me out on that if you dont mind .
      But it looks like it will ready for a life of service
      to me very soon just what little I have driven this
      S10 aka E10 has been GREAT!!!!! The gas I will save is
      also GREAT.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • gjc0@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 30 7:39 PM
        Brett:

        You mentioned a 3300k ohm and a 330K ohm resitor. Are you talking about the resistance of the thermistors used in a battery temperature sensor? I am a bit confused. The correct resistance will depend on the manufacturer and model of the charger.

        sincerely,
        Gary Carlson

        --- gjc0@... wrote:

        > Brett:
        >
        > You wrote "The charger is bad on this truck."
        > I assume that you mean the charger for the main,
        > high voltage battey pack.
        > First question: What type (chemistry) batteries are
        > you using?
        > Second question: What is the battery pack voltage?
        >
        > Many types of batteries can be ruined if they are
        > left in a discharged state for a long period of
        > time. A quick way to test your charger is to see
        > how the pack voltage climbs during charging. If you
        > plug in the charger and the pack voltage does
        > nothing, you definitely have a problem. Other, more
        > complicated things
        > like chaging currents, float charge mode and
        > automatic shut off we will discuss later.
        >
        > My main charger is a Zivan NG3. They are custom
        > programmed for the voltage and chemistry of your
        > battery pack. I have used mine for two years and
        > 13,000 miles and have had good luck with it.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Gary Carlson

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Brett Kelien
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 30 8:27 PM
          yes I was and I had the resistance wrong its 33k not
          3300k ohm , but I really want to get this charger
          squared away this truck is a blast to drive and it
          won't be long til I will have to park it because I
          will be at 20% soc .Do you know how the 20% is figured
          is it 126v or another value (115v) ?

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • gjc0@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 31 12:56 PM
            Brett:

            Concerning State of Charge (SoC). The battery's open circuit (no load) voltage is an approximate view to its SoC. A flooded lead acid battery for example is fully charged at 12.6 volts and is considered dead at 10.5 volts. This is just an approximation however and depends on temperature and recent load and charging history. The more accurate method is with a ammeter that integrates (with respect to time) the current that passes through it. It also takes into account the Peukert'(sp?) constant which allows for the fact that batteries under heavy discharge have less capacity. Examples of these "coulomb counters" are the E-Meter.

            Check the website or distributor for your brand of batteries and see if they have a chart for SoC vs open circuit voltage.

            By the way, what kind of batteries do you have?

            Sincerely,
            Gary Carlson

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 31 3:02 PM
              Im running Odessesy PC1200 batteries

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • gjc0@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 31 3:37 PM
                Brett:

                Can you find the specifcations for your batteries on the manufacturer's web site, or from a dealer? (I am not familiar with that brand)

                Sincerely,
                Gary Carlson

                http://mail.yahoo.com

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Gary,
                  Here is the web site for the battery company
                  http://www.odysseyfactory.com/product_list.htm
                  They sell a high end agm SLI type battery. The PC 1200 is a group 27.
                  The specs are all for a strong discharge SLI life and not a slow deep
                  cycle as in the Force but I don't have a clue as to what Bett is using
                  them for.

                  I think they would make great DC motor burn rubber batteries and have
                  a good warranty for the length of service you would probably get out
                  of them in an EV. If they would honor it for that purpose. The web
                  site will give you a lot of numbers. Similiar to a optima yellow top,
                  maybe more like Hawkers as they aren't agm spirals.

                  Mike Rydjord
                  97
                  Pba
                  20035 miles