range analyses

  • Jeremy Rutman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 24, 2006
      Hi all
      I downloaded info on the 705 electric vehicles listed at austinev.org
      and did some analysis.
      In a nutshell:
      A rough relation between stored battery energy
      and range goes like:

      range[km] = 3.5 * stored_energy [kWh]

      A better relation taking into account the vehicle weight is:

      range[km] = 250 * stored_energy / Sqrt(weight[kg])

      Graphs of these relations using the austinev data are posted in
      the files section as well as an .xl file of all the data.
    • Will Beckett (cruzio)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2006
        The information collected below will be summarized and presented to the
        California Air Resources Board (CARB) in

        Sacramento in September 2006, at their Technical Review. The information
        will help Plug In America in its effort

        to convince CARB to reinstate a Zero Emissions Vehicle Mandate. Thank you
        for your time and input, and we welcome

        any questions. Please send all completed surveys to both Jake Baker at
        jake@... and Ron Freund at

        rfreund@..., in addition to any questions.

        Privacy Notice: No individual data will be released to any third party, and
        only aggregate data will be used in

        the presentation to CARB in September. For more information, see the
        Statement of Privacy at the end of the survey.

        Any owners with multiple production EVs, should fill out a survey form for
        each (just attach the two in your reply e-mail). For those respondents more
        comfortable using a downloaded version of the survey, the inline document
        has been provided.

        Instructions: Place an ???x??? between the correct brackets, or write your
        answer following the appropriate question. For any additional comments, use
        the provided space at the end of the survey. We are looking to have the
        surveys returned within ONE week, in order to maximize the time we have to
        interpret the data. Please take a few minutes to complete it now in order to
        help us.

        Thank you so much for your help in this very important element of the fight
        to bring Electric Vehicles back to our streets.

        - Name (will not be used in any published info without your express

        written permission)

        - City, State

        - e-mail address (will be used only to contact for additional clarifying

        information)

        - Model Year

        - VIN (just the last 4 digits)

        - Date Purchased

        - Did you at one time, or do you currently, lease it?

        - - If so, are you interested in purchasing the vehicle at the end of

        lease?

        - - - If not would you be willing to work with another buyer to purchase

        your vehicle

        at the end of lease?

        - Purchased New? Yes [ ] No [ ]

        - - Name of Dealer?

        - Purchased Used? Yes [ ] No [ ]

        For those who purchased vehicles used:

        - - What was the purchase price?

        - - Purchased from a Dealer or Private Party?

        - - Mileage at time of purchase

        - Current Odometer Mileage

        - Approx. Annual Mileage

        - Primary use (Primary Vehicle, Commuter Vehicle, etc.)

        - Do you also own a Gasoline or Diesel Vehicle? Yes [ ] No [ ]

        - - Approx. percentage of annual driving done in the RAV4-EV?

        - Power source for home charging? [ ]

        - - Standard Grid (name provider) [ ]

        - - Green Certificates (name provider) [ ]

        - - Solar [ ]

        - - Wind [ ]

        - - Other (describe) [ ]

        - What is your approximate observed range from a full charge?

        - Have you seen any degradation of range? Yes[ ] No[ ]

        - Frequency of long trips (over 100 miles)?

        - Approx how often do you use public charging stations

        - - Never [ ]

        - - Daily [ ]

        - - A few times per year [ ]

        - - Once per month [ ]

        - - Once per week [ ]

        - - More than once per week [ ]

        - What is your longest trip taken with the car? (Miles Round Trip)

        - - Did you charge en route? Yes[ ] No[ ]

        - - Did you charge at your destination? Yes[ ] No[ ]

        - - - Did you bring a portablized SPI charger? Yes[ ] No[ ]

        - - - Did you use public infrastructure? Yes[ ] No[ ]

        - - - - (Dedicated EV charging sites)? Yes[ ] No[ ]

        - - - - (RV/campground)? Yes[ ] No[ ]

        - Have you had a breakdown requiring a tow? Yes[ ] No[ ]

        - - Frequency: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ] 4[ ] 5[] More[ ]

        - Please check problems encountered:

        - - Diagnosed Traction battery failure (of any sort) [ ]

        - - Charge Port Failure [ ]

        - - Heat Pump Failure [ ]

        - - Auxiliary battery failure [ ]

        - - Windshield/glass repair [ ]

        - - Brakes (including squeaking) [ ]

        - - Flat tires [ ]

        - - Crash or impact [ ]

        - - Other (describe) [ ]

        - Have you had any problems getting service at Toyota? Yes[ ] No[ ]

        - Have you had any problems getting parts from Toyota? Yes[ ] No[ ]

        - Have you had any problems with your charger at home? Yes[ ] No[ ]

        - - If so, please provide brief details on resolution.

        - Do you employ any 'strategy' to prolong traction battery pack life?

        Yes[ ] No[ ]

        - - If so, please briefly describe.

        - Have you installed RAV4Info in your vehicle?

        - - What is your average measured energy use per mile?

        (located on the second screen, let it run for an entire trip...)

        - Other Comments:

        Thank you for completing the survey. Your help is greatly

        appreciated. For more information about how you can help bring

        more Plug-In Hybrids and Electric Vehicles back to the road,

        please visit http://www.PlugInAmerica.com <http://www.pluginamerica.com/> .

        ----

        Statement of Privacy:

        The information contained in this survey is confidential and/or

        legally privileged. It has been sent for the sole use of the

        intended data collection for presentation in the aggregate to

        the California Air Resources Board. Any unauthorized review, use,

        disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this survey,

        or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited, nor will any

        information contained herein be distributed to third parties by

        the creator of the survey. If you have received this survey in error,

        please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of

        the original message.

        Thank you.

      • Ken Olum
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2006
          WIll, this appears to be intended for RAV4-EV owners. Is that true?

          Ken
        • Will Beckett (cruzio)
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2006
            Oh darn. I thought I trimmed out all the RAV4-EV stuff. We want to do this
            for the Solectria as well. Please modify for Solectria products. Thanks!

            - Will
            Aptos, CA 95003
            (831) 688-8669
            will@...

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30, 2006
              From: "Will Beckett \(cruzio\)" <beckettw@...>
              Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:47:11 -0700

              Oh darn. I thought I trimmed out all the RAV4-EV stuff. We want to do this
              for the Solectria as well. Please modify for Solectria products. Thanks!

              It might be a good idea for you to modify the survey once and for all
              for Solectria cars, rather than having each of us modify it ourselves.
              There are a lot of items that seem to be RAV4-specific, and the data
              might be hard to process if each of us answers a slightly different set
              of questions.

              Ken
            • Mike Phillips
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
                Should US Electricar vehicles be part of this too Will?

                Mike

                --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Will Beckett \(cruzio\)"
                <beckettw@...> wrote:

                > Oh darn. I thought I trimmed out all the RAV4-EV stuff. We want to
                do this
                > for the Solectria as well. Please modify for Solectria products.
                Thanks!

                > - Will
                > Aptos, CA 95003
                > (831) 688-8669