RE: [solectria_ev] Miles per pack?

  • Will Beckett (cruzio)
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 19, 2006
      PowerCheq

      - Will

      Aptos, CA 95003

      (831) 688-8669

      will@...

      _____

      From: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com [mailto:solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Dan Wentworth
      Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 12:54 PM
      To: solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [solectria_ev] Miles per pack?

      What kind of equalizers? PowerCheq? Rudman Regs? home made?

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 19, 2006
        Greetings all:

        I drive a 1992 Solectria Force with 12 gel batteries.
        They are by MK batteries, type 8G27.
        So far they have 15K miles on them. I typically discharge them
        to 75% SOC before recharging with a 240V Zivan NG3 programmed for gel batteries.
        I occasionally discharge them to 50% SOC before recharging, but seldom below
        50%. So far, so good.

        My driving profile is typically 30 - 40 MPH for the 75% SOC trip and a mix of
        30-40 MPH and 60 MPH for the 50 SOC trip.

        I use an E-meter with the Peukert's constant programmed in to determine
        SOC.

        Looking at MK Batteries web site, it looks like I can expect about 25K miles
        with this driving profile. This of course is only an optimistic estimate.
        Your mileage may vary, taxes, deal destination charges ...

        Sincerely,
        Gary Carlson

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 19, 2006
          My 1999 Force has the original Gel-Tech gel cells at 22,000 miles.
          It's still peppy, but only has a range of about 25 miles now. This
          is OK, since I put on only 4 to 20 miles a day. I charge whenever
          it's home -- even if I've only gone 4 or 5 miles. No equalizers
          needed. I've got a meter that shows the volts on each battery and
          they're all still balanced. I have heard that gels don't need
          equalizers.

          Incidentally, I've always driven it in "Max Power" mode. These
          batteries are just as efficient in terms of amp-hours over a fixed
          course whether I use Max Power, Normal, or Max Range setting. Of
          course, I use regen for stopping and don't drive it floored all the
          time. The weather is so hot that the motor-cooling fan runs as soon
          as I switch on.

          --Gordon--

          On Jul 19, 2006, at 9:06 AM, Mike Phillips wrote:

          > Gents,
          >
          > What kind of typical pack life, in miles, are folks getting from their
          > solectria vehicles?
          >
          > Mike

          > ~-->
          > Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email
          > design.
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/EliolB/TM

        • Mike Phillips
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 20, 2006
            Is this the car with your LCD monitoring system?

            Mike

            --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Stallings <genki@...>
            wrote:

            > My 1999 Force has the original Gel-Tech gel cells at 22,000
            miles.
            > It's still peppy, but only has a range of about 25 miles now.
            This
            > is OK, since I put on only 4 to 20 miles a day. I charge
            whenever
            > it's home -- even if I've only gone 4 or 5 miles. No equalizers
            > needed. I've got a meter that shows the volts on each battery
            and
            > they're all still balanced. I have heard that gels don't need
            > equalizers.
            >
            > Incidentally, I've always driven it in "Max Power" mode. These
            > batteries are just as efficient in terms of amp-hours over a
            fixed
            > course whether I use Max Power, Normal, or Max Range setting. Of
            > course, I use regen for stopping and don't drive it floored all
            the
            > time. The weather is so hot that the motor-cooling fan runs as
            soon
            > as I switch on.
            >
            > --Gordon--
            >
            > On Jul 19, 2006, at 9:06 AM, Mike Phillips wrote:
            >
            > > Gents,
            > >
            > > What kind of typical pack life, in miles, are folks getting from
            their
            > > solectria vehicles?
            > >
            > > Mike

            --
            > > ~-->
            > > Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email
            > > design.
            > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/EliolB/TM

          • Gordon Stallings
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 23, 2006