Re: [solectria_ev] Miles per pack?

  • Dan Wentworth
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 19 12:54 PM
      What kind of equalizers? PowerCheq? Rudman Regs? home made?

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 19 1:15 PM
        PowerCheq

        - Will

        Aptos, CA 95003

        (831) 688-8669

        will@...

        _____

      • gjc0@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 19 3:46 PM
          Greetings all:

          I drive a 1992 Solectria Force with 12 gel batteries.
          They are by MK batteries, type 8G27.
          So far they have 15K miles on them. I typically discharge them
          to 75% SOC before recharging with a 240V Zivan NG3 programmed for gel batteries.
          I occasionally discharge them to 50% SOC before recharging, but seldom below
          50%. So far, so good.

          My driving profile is typically 30 - 40 MPH for the 75% SOC trip and a mix of
          30-40 MPH and 60 MPH for the 50 SOC trip.

          I use an E-meter with the Peukert's constant programmed in to determine
          SOC.

          Looking at MK Batteries web site, it looks like I can expect about 25K miles
          with this driving profile. This of course is only an optimistic estimate.
          Your mileage may vary, taxes, deal destination charges ...

          Sincerely,
          Gary Carlson

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 19 4:22 PM
            My 1999 Force has the original Gel-Tech gel cells at 22,000 miles.
            It's still peppy, but only has a range of about 25 miles now. This
            is OK, since I put on only 4 to 20 miles a day. I charge whenever
            it's home -- even if I've only gone 4 or 5 miles. No equalizers
            needed. I've got a meter that shows the volts on each battery and
            they're all still balanced. I have heard that gels don't need
            equalizers.

            Incidentally, I've always driven it in "Max Power" mode. These
            batteries are just as efficient in terms of amp-hours over a fixed
            course whether I use Max Power, Normal, or Max Range setting. Of
            course, I use regen for stopping and don't drive it floored all the
            time. The weather is so hot that the motor-cooling fan runs as soon
            as I switch on.

            --Gordon--

            On Jul 19, 2006, at 9:06 AM, Mike Phillips wrote:

            > Gents,
            >
            > What kind of typical pack life, in miles, are folks getting from their
            > solectria vehicles?
            >
            > Mike

            > ~-->
            > Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email
            > design.
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/EliolB/TM

          • Mike Phillips
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 20 8:14 AM
              Is this the car with your LCD monitoring system?

              Mike

              --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Stallings <genki@...>
              wrote:

              > My 1999 Force has the original Gel-Tech gel cells at 22,000
              miles.
              > It's still peppy, but only has a range of about 25 miles now.
              This
              > is OK, since I put on only 4 to 20 miles a day. I charge
              whenever
              > it's home -- even if I've only gone 4 or 5 miles. No equalizers
              > needed. I've got a meter that shows the volts on each battery
              and
              > they're all still balanced. I have heard that gels don't need
              > equalizers.
              >
              > Incidentally, I've always driven it in "Max Power" mode. These
              > batteries are just as efficient in terms of amp-hours over a
              fixed
              > course whether I use Max Power, Normal, or Max Range setting. Of
              > course, I use regen for stopping and don't drive it floored all
              the
              > time. The weather is so hot that the motor-cooling fan runs as
              soon
              > as I switch on.
              >
              > --Gordon--
              >
              > On Jul 19, 2006, at 9:06 AM, Mike Phillips wrote:
              >
              > > Gents,
              > >
              > > What kind of typical pack life, in miles, are folks getting from
              their
              > > solectria vehicles?
              > >
              > > Mike

              --
              > > ~-->
              > > Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email
              > > design.
              > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/EliolB/TM

            • Gordon Stallings
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 23 3:41 PM