motor fan runs

  • Rick Ulrich
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19 11:17 AM
      Hello all,
      My first post. I just got a '96 "Force". When all the new batteries are
      connected, a fan on the motor runs even without the key being in the
      ignition. I am afraid it will discharge my batts while sitting. Any ideas?
      Rick
    • gjc0@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 19 1:35 PM
        Rick:

        I have a 1992 Force, so my car is probably different from yours on the fan.
        Is there a relay or solid state switch between the fan motor and the battery?
        If the relay or SSS is stuck, that could account for the fan always being on.
        Between any schematics you might have and tracing back the physical wires on
        the fan itself, see if you can find an intermediate relay or SSS that is stuck.

        Good luck,
        Gary Carlson
        1992 Force,
        Boise, Idaho

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 19 6:13 PM
          Rick,
          This pertains to my 97. When the motor is cold/warm the 12 volt drive
          motor cooling fan does not run at all. There is a [thermistor?(sp)]
          temp sensor on the top front of the motor that turns the fan on when
          the motor reaches what ever temp that switch closes at. Fairly hot. A
          few miles at highway speeds or a lot of slow on a hot day will turn
          the fan on; a easy mile or so doesn't.

          But when the fan is on and needed turning the ignition switch off on
          my car will turn off motor fan. On hot days I often leave the key on
          just so this fan and the ones on the controller will run and cool the
          motor rather than cook the bearings, and keep the heat sink cooling on
          the controller. A precaution that may not be needed. So my guess is
          that yours wasn't suppose to run with the key off unless someone
          rewired it who had the same concerns as I do and the temp sensor has
          failed in the closed position. Assuming you have a temp sensor on the
          motor.

          You could easily pull one of the leads off of the temp sensor and see
          if the fan stops. If it does. Pull off both wires and check the temp
          sensor for a open or closed condition. If it is always closed you may
          need a new sensor. And the fan may just be wired hot on the 96. 96
          owners??

          On the 97 there is a small 12 volt fan in the rear battery box wired
          hot all the time and it comes on at 85 degrees. Which means with the
          amount of mass in there it runs almost all summer here in Vacaville.
          If you still have a Brusa NLG$ the float current will handle a fan
          like this one just fine. I see about 0.30AH per day with this fan
          running and my no float Zivan NG3 charger. The motor fan is
          considerably bigger and just isn't needed when the motor is cool so I
          would try to get it to perform in a as needed bases.

          The 97 service manual doesn't give any paticulars on the wiring of the
          motor cooling fan or temp sensor setting. I know that when the fan is
          running the motor fins are hot, not a good place to leave your hand
          for long.

          You can search the archive messages in the forum by typing in keywords
          and perhaps this has been an issue before.

          Mike Rydjord
          97
          Pba