Air Conditioning Condenser Fan

    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2006
      I added another electric fan to the a/c condenser on my 97 Force. Have
      had it in place for over a month now and feel that the results are
      worth the effort.

      I live in Vacaville, CA, which is in the central valley near
      Sacramento. Summers are known for hot afternoons with mid 90's to low
      100 being pretty typical. The air conditioning on the Force just
      didn't seem to be able to provide what I considered adequate cooling
      in these conditions. Everything is working and freon levels are
      correct. My experience was that as temperatures get into the 90 to
      100's the a/c wasn't worth running. If I was going to transport it
      around 365 days a year I had a desire for it to be more useful in the
      heat.

      Investigating the problem in an attempt to get some cooler air on hot
      days I found that when Solectria converted the Metro they removed the
      radiator and its fan. The radiator fan was positioned so it also
      provided cooling for the driver side of the a/c condenser.

      Step 5 in the GM service manual for the insufficient a/c cooling is to
      check the operation of the radiator fan. As noted in the GM service
      manual high condenser temperature can result in the hot high pressure
      gaseous liquid freon not returning to a medium temperature liquid
      state. Without a fan the first third of the condenser is essentially
      uncooled which results in high temperatures when the outside air isn't
      cool enough for the other portion of the condenser to adequately bring
      down the temp.

      I was able to install a 9-inch electric fan in front of the condenser
      covering most of the side that was originally cooled by the radiator
      fan. The results are positive. The pressure reading with and without
      the extra fan installed support the original design requirement for it
      being there. The temperature of the condenser is much cooler with the
      extra fan. Inside the car the duct readings are lower and the system
      responds more quickly. On mild days (80's) with lower blower settings
      the compressor actually cycles on and off in response to the
      evaporator sensor getting down to 32 degrees. We haven't been in the
      100's yet but the system is definitely better in the 90's with the
      extra fan.
      Installation was rather easy with no bracket fabrication required when
      using a 9-inch low profile fan. Locating it just behind the a/c drier
      installation only required loosening the drier bracket, removing the
      horn and disconnecting the condenser pressure switch. All these items
      re-installed normally after the fan is in place. I wired it using a
      simple saddle splice on the factory fan wire.

      Downside is a bit more noise outside the vehicle, an increase in
      weight by about 2 lb. and the consumption of a few more watts. Upside
      is being "cool" in the EV on a hot day.

      If your interested in a bit more efficiency in the a/c I'll be glad
      to answer any questions and provide more detail to anyone interested.

      Mike
      97
    • dufus2020
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2006
        Would you please provide additional detail information?
        Specifically, the fan model and where obtained, how it was mounted,
        what needed to be added/modified for mounting, where was the 12vdc
        obtained, fuse protection sizing and type, etc.

        I live north of Houston, TX. Auto A/C for my 1995 Force is year
        round due to the humidity/heat. For nine months of the year, the A/C
        does not cycle. It operates continuously.

        If you want to take this off-line, my contact info is:

        Charles Birkhead
        cb02 at ridemetro.org