Rubber bands and malfunctioning Accelerator (potbox).

  • larsthelean
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18 10:51 AM
      I thought I'd share today's exciting experiences. While driving to
      work this morning, an 18 mile commute, my accelerator pedal stopped
      working properly. More precisely, the car would only accelerate as
      quickly as possible... no regen brakes or coasting or desire to slow
      down!

      My first reaction was to repeatedly stomp on the accelerator pedal
      and the pedal felt very loose. The brake pedal performed normally,
      though I knew that I wouldn't want the brakes to have to fight the
      motor.

      My second reaction was to use the Econ-Normal-Power-Off knob and this
      worked wonderfully. I was able to coast when the car was OFF and
      brake normally (albeit, without regen of course).

      So, now I'm at a stop-light half-way to work. Hmmmn. I put car into
      Econ mode and the car starts up again (with a bit of a lurch since it
      is applying maximum ECON amperage at startup). When I need more
      speed up a hill, I switched to NORMAL mode and when I reached the
      desired speed I switched the knob back to OFF for coasting as needed.

      Workplace I arrive. I look over the service manual and think about
      the pot-box. Can I fix this during lunch time?

      Lunch time now arrives, I go look under the hood. The accelerator
      pedal is linked to the "potbox" with a steel cable linkage. After
      fiddling with it a bit, I determine that when I press on the pedal,
      the cable is supposed to move clockwise and a spring is supposed to
      release the cable back to rest when the pedal is let go. My spring
      just hangs there providing no tension. Further examination of said
      spring reveals that the spring is broken, a straight piece of the
      spring wire is still attached to a bracket while the rest of the
      curly spring is still wrapped around a bar.

      I don't have a replacement spring, so... you guessed it. Voila! a
      rubber band from our office supplies. I installed the rubber band
      about the linkage arm and the support bar and now my pedal functions
      pretty much normally. After lunch, I'll try it out for the return
      commute home. Then I'll order a new spring or potbox from Azure or
      ElectroAutomotive. Wish me luck!

      Best regards,

      Todd Martin
      Message 2 of 5 , May 18 4:28 PM
        Thanks for sharing and providing one more good reason not to tailgate.
        Will be curious to find out if you can get just the spring.

        When you get it apart I would be curious to know if it looks like the
        kind of wear that might be detectable before it totally fails. This is
        not something I would like my wife or daughter to experience in
        traffic. (And I'll pass also.)

        Azure might have some history if it is at all common.

        Mike
        97

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "larsthelean" <larsthelean@...>
        wrote:

        > I thought I'd share today's exciting experiences. While driving to
        > work this morning, an 18 mile commute, my accelerator pedal stopped
        > working properly. More precisely, the car would only accelerate as
        > quickly as possible... no regen brakes or coasting or desire to slow
        > down!
        >
        > My first reaction was to repeatedly stomp on the accelerator pedal
        > and the pedal felt very loose. The brake pedal performed normally,
        > though I knew that I wouldn't want the brakes to have to fight the
        > motor.
        >
        > My second reaction was to use the Econ-Normal-Power-Off knob and this
        > worked wonderfully. I was able to coast when the car was OFF and
        > brake normally (albeit, without regen of course).
        >
        > So, now I'm at a stop-light half-way to work. Hmmmn. I put car into
        > Econ mode and the car starts up again (with a bit of a lurch since it
        > is applying maximum ECON amperage at startup). When I need more
        > speed up a hill, I switched to NORMAL mode and when I reached the
        > desired speed I switched the knob back to OFF for coasting as needed.
        >
        > Workplace I arrive. I look over the service manual and think about
        > the pot-box. Can I fix this during lunch time?
        >
        > Lunch time now arrives, I go look under the hood. The accelerator
        > pedal is linked to the "potbox" with a steel cable linkage. After
        > fiddling with it a bit, I determine that when I press on the pedal,
        > the cable is supposed to move clockwise and a spring is supposed to
        > release the cable back to rest when the pedal is let go. My spring
        > just hangs there providing no tension. Further examination of said
        > spring reveals that the spring is broken, a straight piece of the
        > spring wire is still attached to a bracket while the rest of the
        > curly spring is still wrapped around a bar.
        >
        > I don't have a replacement spring, so... you guessed it. Voila! a
        > rubber band from our office supplies. I installed the rubber band
        > about the linkage arm and the support bar and now my pedal functions
        > pretty much normally. After lunch, I'll try it out for the return
        > commute home. Then I'll order a new spring or potbox from Azure or
        > ElectroAutomotive. Wish me luck!
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Todd Martin

      • Rex Allison
        Message 3 of 5 , May 19 9:04 AM
          Todd,
          You also did the right thing by not turning off the
          ignition switch. I believe there is a high throttle
          lockout that prevents full throttle command when the
          ignition switch is first turned on.
          Rex

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 19 1:14 PM
            Todd and others,

            Here is some more info and my recommendation after looking at my car
            and Stephen Taylor checked his 3 Force's and the Sunrise.

            For your safety and the safety of others it would be worth checking
            the springs on your vehicle. This is pretty easy to do.

            Turn the car off and set the parking brake before checking the
            pot-box! Pull the anderson connector to the motor controller if you
            want to be extra safe.

            There should be TWO SPRINGS on the ABC-1 or pot-box control lever not
            just 1.

            There is one in front of the lever which is easy to see and another
            behind it not so easy to see. Together they return the lever to the
            "off" position when the accelerator cable is slacked.

            They are both coiled type springs and probably not interchangeable.
            They appear to be different sizes. If you look at the lever you will
            see where the ends of the springs wrap around it at two different
            positions.

            From what Todd described his car either experienced a failure of both
            springs or someone removed a spring from his car leaving only one and
            it broke. I haven't disassembled one of these but it feels like either
            spring would be sufficient to return the lever to "off". But safe
            design requires that they should both be there and intact.

            The ABC-1 (pot-box) is located on the firewall near the brake resevoir.

            Before checking it please make sure the car is OFF and the brake set.
            You don't want to run over yourself. Do not move this lever without
            making sure the car is off. If the car isn't off and you move the
            lever out of regen it will probably run you over. This wouldn't be good.

            You can check the springs by moving the lever to the right. You don't
            need to push it far as the cable will go slack. When you move the
            lever arm you can feel the tension on the forward and back spring
            change if you hold a finger on the coil portion. You might also be
            able to see a obviously broken forward spring. Signs of corrosion
            would also be bad.

            Happy Motoring
            Mike
            97

            Also we didn't find any bad springs on our cars.

            wrote:

            > I thought I'd share today's exciting experiences. While driving to
            > work this morning, an 18 mile commute, my accelerator pedal stopped
            > working properly. More precisely, the car would only accelerate as
            > quickly as possible... no regen brakes or coasting or desire to slow
            > down!
            >
            > My first reaction was to repeatedly stomp on the accelerator pedal
            > and the pedal felt very loose. The brake pedal performed normally,
            > though I knew that I wouldn't want the brakes to have to fight the
            > motor.
            >
            > My second reaction was to use the Econ-Normal-Power-Off knob and this
            > worked wonderfully. I was able to coast when the car was OFF and
            > brake normally (albeit, without regen of course).
            >
            > So, now I'm at a stop-light half-way to work. Hmmmn. I put car into
            > Econ mode and the car starts up again (with a bit of a lurch since it
            > is applying maximum ECON amperage at startup). When I need more
            > speed up a hill, I switched to NORMAL mode and when I reached the
            > desired speed I switched the knob back to OFF for coasting as needed.
            >
            > Workplace I arrive. I look over the service manual and think about
            > the pot-box. Can I fix this during lunch time?
            >
            > Lunch time now arrives, I go look under the hood. The accelerator
            > pedal is linked to the "potbox" with a steel cable linkage. After
            > fiddling with it a bit, I determine that when I press on the pedal,
            > the cable is supposed to move clockwise and a spring is supposed to
            > release the cable back to rest when the pedal is let go. My spring
            > just hangs there providing no tension. Further examination of said
            > spring reveals that the spring is broken, a straight piece of the
            > spring wire is still attached to a bracket while the rest of the
            > curly spring is still wrapped around a bar.
            >
            > I don't have a replacement spring, so... you guessed it. Voila! a
            > rubber band from our office supplies. I installed the rubber band
            > about the linkage arm and the support bar and now my pedal functions
            > pretty much normally. After lunch, I'll try it out for the return
            > commute home. Then I'll order a new spring or potbox from Azure or
            > ElectroAutomotive. Wish me luck!
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Todd Martin

          • larsthelean
            Message 5 of 5 , May 24 5:12 PM
              I received a reply back from Shari at Electro Automotive.

              She said that this problem has occurred before and they sell a
              retrofit kit that includes a new bracket and spring.

              The price is $60 + $4 for shipping. So, I've ordered the part. In
              the meantime, I installed a spring of my own to replace the rubber
              bands. Once it arrives, I can post photos of the kit before and
              after installation if anyone is interested.

              Best regards,

              Todd Martin