Re: Question about some performance specs

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 17, 2006
      Ken,
      I think you can trust East Penn for the most part. I also tend to be
      on the conservative side along with Stephen and East Penn when it
      comes to useful range between charges verses battery life for the Car.
      The text that surrounds the chart on the east penn site probably says
      it all,

      "Yes! The harder any battery has to work, the sooner it will fail.
      * You may experience longer or shorter life based upon application,
      charging regimen, temperature, rest periods, type of equipment, age of
      battery, etc.
      As you can see, the shallower the average discharge, the longer
      the life. This is why it's important to size a battery system to
      deliver at least twice the average power required, to assure shallow
      discharges."

      The need to carry a "unused" reserve capacity in order to get maximum
      longevity is, as so often stated, one of the biggest negatives to Pba
      batteries. But with that said pushing them hard to get what you need
      may be totally acceptable. The big difference isn't between 80 and
      100% but in the going over 50%. But no matter what you do they aren't
      going to last forever. But mine are still going "strong enough" past
      when I thought they would need replacing.

      Mike Rydjord
      97 Pba
      18600

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 17, 2006
        HiMark,
        I ran my car over the scale today.
        weight 2700 pounds

        A 4 dr 97 Force with air conditioning but no spare tire or jack, 13
        group 27 gel batteries.

        Differences from factory are after market wheels, which I think are
        about an equal weight to stock, a few pounds of sound dampener and a
        few personal items in the trunk.

        --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Freidberg" <mark58150@...>