Charging rate & Generators

  • theoldcars@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
      PHEV would be a way to break the idea to the general population that one can
      easily plug in to gain miles not powered by oil. It would not take long for
      the drivers to figure out how most of them really do not travel that far in
      one direction and many of their miles could be done electric. Soon many would
      learn the convenience of not stopping at the gas station as often. Then
      finding out their electric bill did not change much but they were saving a lot
      they use to spend on gas.

      Once it caught on then competition among the manufactures would focus on
      what vehicle could go the longest and how fast it would charge. This would lead
      to chargers that could charge not only with 120 but 240 volts.

      It would even affect where they go. The stores that wanted more business
      would have 120 plugs just as some Costco locations have charging now. To give
      someone 15 cents an hour at 120 volts to buy groceries is almost nothing. Even
      240 volts at 60 cents an hour is a deal to get customers to your door.

      Batteries would be mass produced and the cost would come down. More money
      would go into the battery industry and battery improvement would follow. Right
      now it is the electronics industry such as cell phones, lap top computers
      and hand powered tools drills that driving the development of better batteries.

      However this all has to start somewhere and it will not start until a car
      manufacture starts building them. That is why I feel any PHEV would be one of
      the most important developments ever to happen for personal transportation.

      If we can get past what happened before with the different sized paddle
      chargers and Avcon it should go well.

      Don

      1997 Solectria Force
      1997 Chevrolet S-10EV
      1998 Ford Ranger EV

      In a message dated 1/29/2006 3:14:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      akuehn@... writes:

      Mike wrote:
      > From the marketing aspect of the car that is a negative and positive.
      >There are literally millions of cars that are in fact parked in places
      >where they really can't be plugged in at night. [Listen to the press
      >conference from the other day and one of the questions was where do
      >apartment renters plugin?]

      I think this is a red herring, frankly. In Alaska, people have
      radiator heaters to keep their cars from freezing during those nights
      at 40 below. Those heaters need to be plugged in. So what do you
      see around the town of Fairbanks? Grocery store parking lots with
      standard outlets in front of most of the parking spaces. Granted,
      you probably wouldn't see them for free if folks were using them for
      powering the whole car, but that's all the more reason you can be
      sure they'd be there: it would be a potential profit
      source. Installation of this kind of infrastructure is relatively
      trivial - a one-time cost of perhaps $500 per twin receptacle,
      assuming you need to trench in a line. Perhaps another couple
      hundred for metering and credit-based vending. Heck, I'll bet
      regular vending machines cost more than that, and they have
      mechanical parts that need repair.

      If the cars were sold, you'd be amazed at how many PHEV-friendly
      apartment buildings you'd suddenly start to see.

      >But if you don't plug the car in you sure don't want to pay for or
      >carry around the extra batteries (pretty much Toyota's position.)

      This is a more serious consideration. As soon as the added expense
      of the batteries is less than the price of the fuel you'd save from
      plugging in, though, this argument diminishes considerably. There
      are, of course, always those who can't look past the initial price
      point, but as the price of energy climbs, this group will get smaller
      and smaller.

      >Besides, right now they sell all of the current hybrids they are
      >producing.

      Which has nothing to do with anything, unless you are seriously
      suggesting that there is no way to ramp up production. If the demand
      is there, they'll find a way to make them.

      >We should also have some real world data soon on how these
      >things last as time and the mileage increase. If expensive repairs
      >become a part of the equation the market can go south in a real hurry.

      This, again, is a more serious consideration. Toyota went to
      considerable pains to ensure that the Prius doesn't tax the
      batteries, which could otherwise necessitate costly
      replacement. That's why they can afford to give purchasers that 100K
      warranty on the hybrid components. A PHEV is going to put
      considerably more stress on the pack. That, in turn, will probably
      bring more risk to the owner. It is hard to see how a manufacturer
      could give a 100K warranty on a PHEV battery pack, and pack
      replacements will look very bad in Consumer Reports.

      >I still think the PHEV is a good option for a great many people.

      I would change that to read: "...the best option for most people."

      Just my opinion, and perhaps slightly off-topic for this particular forum.

      -Adam