marython drives, range, etc.

  • joelmeyn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2006
      Greetings all,
      I have not written much here as my only troubles in two years have
      been getting the car registered at California DMV, and a charging
      problem traced to a blown fuse.
      My favorite thing is to drive as far as I can in a day. When people
      ask how far I can drive, I explain that my practical limit is about
      30 miles, assuming freeway driving. I explain about opportunity
      charging, ensuring that there is another 30 miles available for the
      next leg of the days journey.
      I live in the "North Bay" about 45 miles north of San Francisco. We
      EV drivers are fortunate to have an extensive network of public
      charging stations.
      My car is a red 1997. Odometer just recently turned 20,000. Battery
      pack is orginal as far as I know. The only measure of dimished
      capacity (the batteries, not me, I hope) is that at a bit over
      halfway through the assumed range (42.00 on the guage = batteries
      discharged) there seems no difference between "normal" and "power" at
      freeway speed = the analog amp meter reads just above 100. When near
      fully charged, the "power" mode allows readings as high as 200 amps.
      So, the pack is old, but is still getting the car around. I am doing
      a lot of 40-50 mile days with 2 or three charging sessions.
      Enjoy your Solectria!
      --Joel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 27, 2006
        Joel,
        Good to hear from you.
        I think you were going to charge at the condo using one of those 240
        volt circuit adapters. Did that work out?

        Passing 20,000 miles it sounds like your happy.

        I notice the same power thing on my 97 car with 18400 miles. But above
        60 mph I've pretty much always found the Force all out power. Trucks
        going 50-55 between Vacaville and Fairfield on I-80 are my new
        friends. I get behind them so people think their the reason I'm poking
        along :-) Uses a lot fewer AH when your not struggling to do 65-70.

        I don't think you need trouble to write. Maybe Nick can have a
        Force-a-thon EAA NB chapter meeting one of these days.

        Mike

        In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, "joelmeyn" <jmeyn@s...> wrote:

        > Greetings all,
        > I have not written much here as my only troubles in two years have
        > been getting the car registered at California DMV, and a charging
        > problem traced to a blown fuse.
        > My favorite thing is to drive as far as I can in a day. When people
        > ask how far I can drive, I explain that my practical limit is about
        > 30 miles, assuming freeway driving. I explain about opportunity
        > charging, ensuring that there is another 30 miles available for the
        > next leg of the days journey.
        > I live in the "North Bay" about 45 miles north of San Francisco. We
        > EV drivers are fortunate to have an extensive network of public
        > charging stations.
        > My car is a red 1997. Odometer just recently turned 20,000. Battery
        > pack is orginal as far as I know. The only measure of dimished
        > capacity (the batteries, not me, I hope) is that at a bit over
        > halfway through the assumed range (42.00 on the guage = batteries
        > discharged) there seems no difference between "normal" and "power" at
        > freeway speed = the analog amp meter reads just above 100. When near
        > fully charged, the "power" mode allows readings as high as 200 amps.
        > So, the pack is old, but is still getting the car around. I am doing
        > a lot of 40-50 mile days with 2 or three charging sessions.
        > Enjoy your Solectria!
        > --Joel

      • joelmeyn
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
          One of my neighbors figured out that we could gather 240 volts by
          bridging to the adjacent carport space. He wired this to my outlet
          and I added a 240 VAC GFI extension cord and we're all set. Have been
          using this for about a year with great success.
          The Costco store about 3 miles from here has a new charging station
          thanks to efforts by local EV enthusiasts. So I have an additional
          source now.
          --Joel