RE: [solectria_ev] Digest Number 645

  • Charles Birkhead
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2006
      It appears that the dome light has "lost" its ground connection (to the
      car frame). Check the voltage on the hot side of the dome light.
      Ensure that the meter low side has a good ground (such as a bolt into
      the frame. Then measure the voltage on the ground side of the dome
      light. It should be zero. Also, try jumpering the ground side of the
      light bulb to a good ground. If the bulb, dome light, and hot side
      voltage is OK, the bulb should be lit.

      From: Stephen Taylor <sparrow262@...>
      2. Re: DC/DC converter
      From: umarc <umarc@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:34:29 -0800 (PST)
      From: Stephen Taylor <sparrow262@...>
      Subject: DC/DC converter

      I know I don't know much about the 12 volt systems in these cars, but
      I've run into a problem. A few months ago I noticed my Dome light
      stopped working. I kind of ignored it for awhile since it wasn't that
      big a deal. Of course when I just recently went to fix it, my first
      thought was the bulb was bad, but no it checked out fine. Even tried it
      in another car. So I checked the fuse and it was fine too. That same
      fuse powers some part of the radio too anyways and the radio was still
      working.

      I next decided I would check the switch in the ceiling. Took the
      whole assembly down and tried it in another car and it works fine there
      too. I checked voltage and the voltage was kind of low at 11.8 volts.
      My other car was over 13 volts.

      After looking for some loose connection for hours I decided to see
      what the DC/DC converter was putting out. I disconnected the Anderson
      connector under the hood at the DC/DC converter and found just over 12
      volts. I checked my other car and it read 13.2 volts. Now to me the
      really strange thing is that the only symptom I was experiencing in the
      car was the overhead dome wasn't working. Everything else in the car
      seems to be running exterior lights, lighter, fans radio etc..

      At this point I am surmising that the dome light is intolerant of low
      voltage. Does that sound plausible? Of course the greater concern is
      with the DC/DC converter. Should I take this as a sign that it is on
      its last leg or will it continue to function for a long time like this?
      Is there something I can do to get its voltage back up over 13 volts?

      I'd appreciate any thoughts.

      Stephen Taylor
      1999 Lead Acid Force
      1999 NiCD Force
      1997 Valence Lithium Force
      1999 Sunrise

      Message: 2
      Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:07:55 -0500 (EST)
      From: umarc <umarc@...>
      Subject: Re: DC/DC converter

      On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Stephen Taylor wrote:

      > I next decided I would check the switch in the ceiling. Took the
      whole
      > assembly down and tried it in another car and it works fine there too.

      > I checked voltage and the voltage was kind of low at 11.8 volts. My
      > other car was over 13 volts.

      The voltage at the dome light assembly is 11.8 volts?

      > At this point I am surmising that the dome light is intolerant of low

      > voltage. Does that sound plausible?

      Not if it's an ordinary incandescent, no. It's more likely you have an
      open circuit somewhere, I think. The DC-to-DC converter voltage may be
      low
      due to component aging, or it may always have been low. It's also
      possible
      that it has a bad regulator.

      Can you monitor the voltage output of the converter while turning on the

      headlights or radio? Does the voltage go down significantly when you
      turn
      them on, or does it stay at 11.8? If the latter, I'd be inclined to
      suspect the voltage was always low; in any case, the dome light problem
      almost has to be an open circuit somewhere.

      Good luck,

      Rob Landry
      1992 Solectria Force
      Needham, MA
      umarc@...

    • Stephen Taylor

        Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:07:55 -0500 (EST)
        From: umarc <umarc@...>

        On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Stephen Taylor wrote:

        > I next decided I would check the switch in the ceiling. Took the
        whole
        > assembly down and tried it in another car and it works fine there too.

        > I checked voltage and the voltage was kind of low at 11.8 volts. My
        > other car was over 13 volts.

        The voltage at the dome light assembly is 11.8 volts?

        > At this point I am surmising that the dome light is intolerant of low

        > voltage. Does that sound plausible?

        Not if it's an ordinary incandescent, no. It's more likely you have an
        open circuit somewhere, I think. The DC-to-DC converter voltage may be
        low
        due to component aging, or it may always have been low. It's also
        possible
        that it has a bad regulator.

        Can you monitor the voltage output of the converter while turning on the

        headlights or radio? Does the voltage go down significantly when you
        turn
        them on, or does it stay at 11.8? If the latter, I'd be inclined to
        suspect the voltage was always low; in any case, the dome light problem
        almost has to be an open circuit somewhere.

        Good luck,

        Rob Landry
        1992 Solectria Force
        Needham, MA
        umarc@...

        Automotive car part Automotive fuel cell Automotive fuel tank Automotive car cover Electric car Alternative fuels