Re: [solectria_ev] Re: Charger Not Working

  • Jay Grossman
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 9, 2005
      Picked up the fuse at Home Depot this evening. After replacing the fuse the fan on the charger, which was not working began to run. I think that it my be a quick inexpensive fix for my problem. Time will tell.
      Jay H Grossman

      lktaku <lktaku@...> wrote:
      We don't have a home depot where I live - it's fairly remote - but
      there is a radio shack and I'm gonna call them today and go down to
      see if I can find one.

      Plus, I'll get new batteries for my voltmeter to test the old ones...

      thank you again. Lisa

      --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, Ed Garcia <edward_c_garcia@y...>
      wrote:

      > Those fuses have to be checked with a multimeter or similar
      continuity testing device. There is no visual indication on this type
      of fuse indicating if they are good or blown. My local Home Depot
      carries this type of fuse and also have a fuse checker where you can
      take your suspect fuse to check. When buying these fuses make sure
      the new one is the same physical size as the old one. There are fuses
      that look the same but are slightly different size.

      > Ed
      >
      > Jay Grossman <jgrossm3@y...> wrote:
      > The fuse in my charger is similar. I guess that I would use my
      multimeter to test for conductivity, or knowing that they don't cost
      much pick up a spare at the nearest Radio Shack or Gas Station and try
      a new fuse out. Worst case is that you now have a spare best case it
      solves the problem. I'm going to try this myself tomorrow.
> [...]
      > > Jay H Grossman
      > >
      > > lktaku <lktaku@e...> wrote: Hi Gary,
      > >
      > > I don't have the Brusa chargers but a different kind that is on
      > the
      > > trunk - and I appear to have 2 chargers not one...I sent that
      > info in
      > > a reply to another email...Perhaps my charger is like yours
      > because I
      > > don't have an LED display box...
      > >
      > > They are discharged partially and have been for 3 days now (since
      > > Sunday night).
      > >
      > > I have the Dominator batteries - aren't they the sealed, gel
      > type? I
      > > could try taking to my local garage, where the owner used to do
      > lots
      > > of golf carts and see if he can do the alternate charger
      > situation you
      > > mentioned....I'll try giving him a call.
      > >
      > > Any other ideas or things I need to watch out for...
      > >
      > > Lisa
      > >
      > > --- In solectria_ev@yahoogroups.com, gjc0@a... wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Lisa:
      > > >
      > > > I don't know anything about your type of charger.
      > > >
      > > > However, what is the state of charge on your batteries right
      > now?
      > > > The reason I ask is that fully charged batteries, have a high
      > acid
      > > > concentration in them which is a good thing. Discharged
      > batteries
      > > have mostly water,
      > > > which freezes (in cold weather) and ruins the batteries.
      > > >
      > > > If your car batteries are subjected to freezing temperatures
      > when
      > > > discharged, they are at risk of freezing. Keep them above
      > freezing
      > > if they are
      > > > discharged.
      > > >
      > > > In any case, PbA batteries do best when kept charged up.
      > > >
      > > > A local engineer / techy might be able to help you charge the
      > > batteries with
      > > > an alternate charger until your main charger is fixed. If
      > things get
      > > > desparate, can can open up the battery boxes and charge the
      > > batteries individually
      > > > with an automotive battery charger. (I assume you have
      > flooded
      > > PbAs? If you
      > > > have sealed, gel types, you need to watch the charging
      > voltage more
      > > closely.
      > > >
      > > > Let us know what you find,
      > > > Gary Carlson

      > > Automotive
      > car part Automotive fuel
      > cell Automotive fuel
      > tank
      > Automotive car
      > cover Electric
      > car Alternative
      > fuels

      > Service.

      > Automotive car part Automotive fuel cell Automotive fuel
      tank Automotive car cover Electric car Alternative fuels

      Service.