Re: [force_ev] EV Availability

  • Noel Adams
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2001
      There are really three separate issues as far as I understand things.

      First, Solectra have capacity to build about 100 cars per year and most of these go to the utility companies on the east coast where Solectria is based.

      Second, Solectria have only one dealer in California and they are based in Northern California. Many here in the Southland have been reluctant to go with Solectria with out a dealer in the vacinity.

      Third, and perhaps the most important, the ZEV mandate and the subsequent availability of vehicles from the large manufacturers. CARB is, after all, trying to get them to produce ZEVs. This has trained the fleet owners here in California to look to cars from Ford GM etc.

      I have suggested to CARB on a couple of occasions that they should include a couple of Solectrias in their loan program fleet. The objective behind this being to light a fire under the big six to let them know that there are alternatives. Nothing stimulates a business to action like loss of market share. So far though, CARB had said they prefer to deal with the six largest manufacturers.

      Noel Adams
      http://pages.prodigy.net/noela/index.htm

      http://www.shopping.altavista.com