EV Availability

  • Gordon Stallings
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2001
      In the latest EV World, Bill Moore points to an article in Mother Jones
      about the difficulty in obtaining EVs:

      http://www.motherjones.com/news_wire/zero.html

      I'm wondering how Solectria fits into this picture.

      Can they not deliver enough units for these fleet applications?
      Is the Force priced too high?
      Is the Force performance inadequate?
      Do the fleet operators only want to lease EVs?

      Being a big fan of the Force and of Solectria, I'd like to see them
      prosper, and this sounds as if the company could expand like gas into a
      vacuum.

      What am I missing here?

      Gordon Stallings
      1999 Solectria Force
    • Tom Hudson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2001
        > Being a big fan of the Force and of Solectria, I'd like to see them
        > prosper, and this sounds as if the company could expand like gas into a
        > vacuum.

        You would think so, wouldn't you? If Karl's reading this, I'd love to hear
        the official take on this from Solectria. How many cars do they make every
        year? What kind of demand are they seeing? Last I heard, they weren't able
        to get coasters from GM any more, which means a price increase and a harder
        time doing the conversions.

        That's a real shame, because it's such a great car.

        -Tom

        Thomas Hudson
        http://asterius.com/solectria/ho -- Our Electric Vehicles
        http://asterius.com/solectria/ho/pvs.htm -- Solar Power
        http://asterius.com/solectria -- Solectria Owners Website
      • Noel Adams
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 30, 2001
          There are really three separate issues as far as I understand things.

          First, Solectra have capacity to build about 100 cars per year and most of these go to the utility companies on the east coast where Solectria is based.

          Second, Solectria have only one dealer in California and they are based in Northern California. Many here in the Southland have been reluctant to go with Solectria with out a dealer in the vacinity.

          Third, and perhaps the most important, the ZEV mandate and the subsequent availability of vehicles from the large manufacturers. CARB is, after all, trying to get them to produce ZEVs. This has trained the fleet owners here in California to look to cars from Ford GM etc.

          I have suggested to CARB on a couple of occasions that they should include a couple of Solectrias in their loan program fleet. The objective behind this being to light a fire under the big six to let them know that there are alternatives. Nothing stimulates a business to action like loss of market share. So far though, CARB had said they prefer to deal with the six largest manufacturers.

          Noel Adams
          http://pages.prodigy.net/noela/index.htm

          http://www.shopping.altavista.com