RE: [force_ev] "new" Force has arrived

  • Noel P. Luneau
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 11, 2005
      Hi Will,

      I know the difference but was wondering when Jim said he charged at
      110V.

      Thanks,

      Noel L

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 11, 2005
        Most of the cars came with a short adapter cable which is simply a 6-20
        going to a 5-20, wired straight through. The charger, as I understand it,
        is two 110vac chargers combined, so one side runs.

        -
[...]

        ---------
        Jim Coate
        1970's Elec-Trak's
        1998 Chevy S-10 NiMH BEV
        1997 Chevy S-10 NGV Bi-Fuel

        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 11, 2005
          Cool, thanks Will.

          Noel L

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005
            From: "Will Beckett \(pacbell\)" <will@...>
            Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 07:56:58 -0700

            Most of the cars came with a short adapter cable which is simply a 6-20
            going to a 5-20, wired straight through. The charger, as I understand it,
            is two 110vac chargers combined, so one side runs.

            I don't think so, at least if it is a Brusa NLG4 (Solectria BC3300).
            This charger runs on a voltage up to 240AC by converting the
            instantaneous voltage into whatever the batteries need to see. So it
            doesn't know that it is running on 110. Unfortunately, it draws only
            half the current from 110 that it would draw from 220, so the charging
            time is increased by 4. Also the NLG4 tends to have a short life when
            used on 110V.

            Ken
          • Ken Olum
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005
              From: Ed Garcia <edward_c_garcia@...>
              Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:18:24 -0700 (PDT)

              Probably not. 3300W / 240v = 13.75 amps for the charger alone. That would leave only 540W for the heater.

              I think each heating pad is 180W.

              Ken
            • dufus2020
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005
                According to the Brusa website, the NGL4 charger draws 15A on 220vac
                and 12A on 110vac.

                Regarding the reliability on 110vac vs 220vac, the only components
                affected are the input rectifier diodes. I suspect that the diodes
                form a full wave voltage doubler for 110vac input and a full wave
                bridge for 220vac. Thus, the diodes have a higher average current
                for 110vac input vs 220vac.

                FWIW, I charge at 110vac since it is more readily available than
                220vac.

                > Most of the cars came with a short adapter cable which is simply
                a 6-20
                > going to a 5-20, wired straight through. The charger, as I
                understand it,
                > is two 110vac chargers combined, so one side runs.
                >
                > I don't think so, at least if it is a Brusa NLG4 (Solectria BC3300).
                > This charger runs on a voltage up to 240AC by converting the
                > instantaneous voltage into whatever the batteries need to see. So
                it
                > doesn't know that it is running on 110. Unfortunately, it draws
                only
                > half the current from 110 that it would draw from 220, so the
                charging
                > time is increased by 4. Also the NLG4 tends to have a short life
                when
                > used on 110V.
                >
                > Ken

              • Noel P. Luneau
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 12, 2005
                  How long does it usually take you to charge at 110v vs 220v

                  Noel L

                  According to the Brusa website, the NGL4 charger draws 15A on 220vac
                  and 12A on 110vac.

                  Regarding the reliability on 110vac vs 220vac, the only components
                  affected are the input rectifier diodes. I suspect that the diodes
                  form a full wave voltage doubler for 110vac input and a full wave
                  bridge for 220vac. Thus, the diodes have a higher average current
                  for 110vac input vs 220vac.

                  FWIW, I charge at 110vac since it is more readily available than
                  220vac.

                  > Most of the cars came with a short adapter cable which is simply
                  a 6-20
                  > going to a 5-20, wired straight through. The charger, as I
                  understand it,
                  > is two 110vac chargers combined, so one side runs.
                  >
                  > I don't think so, at least if it is a Brusa NLG4 (Solectria BC3300).
                  > This charger runs on a voltage up to 240AC by converting the
                  > instantaneous voltage into whatever the batteries need to see. So
                  it
                  > doesn't know that it is running on 110. Unfortunately, it draws
                  only
                  > half the current from 110 that it would draw from 220, so the
                  charging
                  > time is increased by 4. Also the NLG4 tends to have a short life
                  when
                  > used on 110V.
                  >
                  > Ken

                  Energy management <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Energy+management&w1=Energy+management&w2=Energy+gels&w3=Energy+conservation+home&w4=Energy+savings&w5=Energy&w6=Energy+audit&c=6&s=120&.sig=ZHHw4S7hAmt2ZQ0zYJhMHw> Energy gels <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Energy+gels&w1=Energy+management&w2=Energy+gels&w3=Energy+conservation+home&w4=Energy+savings&w5=Energy&w6=Energy+audit&c=6&s=120&.sig=vacleUsF-CYQA2eqbQcUmg> Energy conservation home <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Energy+conservation+home&w1=Energy+management&w2=Energy+gels&w3=Energy+conservation+home&w4=Energy+savings&w5=Energy&w6=Energy+audit&c=6&s=120&.sig=Rvss5Am9MbYI1KKBMnvb5Q>
                  Energy savings <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Energy+savings&w1=Energy+management&w2=Energy+gels&w3=Energy+conservation+home&w4=Energy+savings&w5=Energy&w6=Energy+audit&c=6&s=120&.sig=43gFPCEaDYKftoqaYV9eeQ> Energy <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Energy&w1=Energy+management&w2=Energy+gels&w3=Energy+conservation+home&w4=Energy+savings&w5=Energy&w6=Energy+audit&c=6&s=120&.sig=lyZnGvOZFe-fkLSno3JbOg> Energy audit <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Energy+audit&w1=Energy+management&w2=Energy+gels&w3=Energy+conservation+home&w4=Energy+savings&w5=Energy&w6=Energy+audit&c=6&s=120&.sig=M4zQMxXoi8cLh5dP2KKCQw>

                • rod864
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 13, 2005
                    There's a significant amount of experience (much of it posted in this
                    group) suggesting that the Brusa NLG4xx chargers suffer increased
                    depreciation when operated at 120 volts instead of 240. IMO, the 120
                    volt input capability should be considered an emergency charging
                    feature only.
                  • Stephen Taylor

                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 14, 2005
                        I charge at ~6A per hour @ 115vac.

                        --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Noel P. Luneau" <nluneau@p...>
                        wrote:

                        > How long does it usually take you to charge at 110v vs 220v
                        >
                        > Noel L

                      • dufus2020
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 14, 2005
                          I only use 110vac for charging. During the constant voltage phase,
                          the charger output voltage is 190+. If any problems related to 110v
                          operation develop, it should be in the area of the input rectifier.

                          --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Taylor <sparrow262@y...>
                          wrote:

                          > Also remember the tag that is attached to the 110 adapter plug that
                          Solectria provided says:

                          > "A 220V Solectria EV is designed to be charged using a 220V
                          outlet. This adapter is meant for occassional use when 220V is
                          unavailable."

                          > Stephen Taylor
                          >
                          > rod864 <rod864@y...> wrote:
                          > There's a significant amount of experience (much of it posted in
                          this
                          > group) suggesting that the Brusa NLG4xx chargers suffer increased
                          > depreciation when operated at 120 volts instead of 240. IMO, the
                          120
                          > volt input capability should be considered an emergency charging
                          > feature only.

                          Service.