Radio Interference

  • Anil Paryani
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 6, 2005
      I am planning to install a new stereo. I can't listen
      to most AM and lower frequency FM stations due to the
      Motor Controller EMI.

      1. Is there any concern chassis grounding the motor
      controller box to reduce EMI.
      2. Also, is it possible to adjust the DC-DC voltage
      (with an internal POT) to output something closer to
      14V rather than 12.0V which it is set at now.

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Tom Hudson
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 6, 2005
        Interesting. Does your car have the zippered wire mesh shield wrapper
        around the three Anderson connectors (usually red/white/blue) between
        the motor controller and motor? That should knock out most interference.

        I'm not sure about the DC-DC converter's adjustability. Please post
        what you find out on that!

        -Tom

        Anil Paryani wrote:

        >I am planning to install a new stereo. I can't listen
        >to most AM and lower frequency FM stations due to the
        >Motor Controller EMI.
        >
        >1. Is there any concern chassis grounding the motor
        >controller box to reduce EMI.
        >2. Also, is it possible to adjust the DC-DC voltage
        >(with an internal POT) to output something closer to
        >14V rather than 12.0V which it is set at now.

        Thomas Hudson
        http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects
      • Gordon Stallings
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 7, 2005
          I, too, have had problems with RFI. I presumed that all Force owners
          experienced it. The zippered wire shield doesn't do much good even
          when installed properly with ty-wraps at each end to ensure good
          electrical connection to ground potential. Even with the drive
          turned off, the radio reception is weak for all but the very local
          stations. I tried adding an in-line antenna amplifier but it did no
          good against the RFI. I also checked for proper ground of the
          antenna coax at the roof edge. All OK. I suspect that the problem
          is at least partially due to the poor antenna design on the
          late-model Metro. An add-on vertical antenna would probably help,
          but would spoil the looks of the car.

          --Gordon Stallings--
          1999 Force
          AC-325 Controller

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 13, 2005
            I didn't have a factory radio in my vehicle and installed an
            aftermarket unit with a aux input that would accept XM sat radio. I
            don't get any interference with any of the inputs, AM,FM,XM,USB/mp3 or
            CD--- The shield as mentioned by Tom is in my vehicle.

            In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, Anil Paryani <sharpanil@y...> wrote:

            > I am planning to install a new stereo. I can't listen
            > to most AM and lower frequency FM stations due to the
            > Motor Controller EMI.
            >
            > 1. Is there any concern chassis grounding the motor
            > controller box to reduce EMI.
            > 2. Also, is it possible to adjust the DC-DC voltage
            > (with an internal POT) to output something closer to
            > 14V rather than 12.0V which it is set at now.
            >

            > __________________________________
            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • jim donovan
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 15, 2009
              Hey all:

              I have been following various discussions and would appreciate a conscience (I need to do something tomorrow).  What is the best type tire to put on a Force today?

              Jim
              Westwood, KS

            • Gordon Stallings
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 15, 2009
                I'm quite happy with my Toyo Spectrums. Not quite optimal rolling
                resistance, but far superior handling.
                --Gordon Stallings--
                1999 Force

                On Nov 15, 2009, at 4:46 PM, jim donovan wrote:

                > Hey all:
                >
                > I have been following various discussions and would appreciate a
                > conscience (I need to do something tomorrow). What is the best type
                > tire to put on a Force today?
                >
                > Jim
                > Westwood, KS
              • Bill or Dorothy Swann
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 15, 2009
                  I had premature wear on the front tires, and an alignment helped. The steering was much easier. Too much toe in.

                  Thanks,Bill S
                  Ph 832-338-3080
                  www.hstech.biz
                  www.promotingevs.com

                  ________________________________
                  I'm quite happy with my Toyo Spectrums. Not quite optimal rolling
                  resistance, but far superior handling.
                  --Gordon Stallings--
                  1999 Force

                  On Nov 15, 2009, at 4:46 PM, jim donovan wrote:

                  > Hey all:
                  >
                  > I have been following various discussions and would appreciate a
                  > conscience (I need to do something tomorrow). What is the best type
                  > tire to put on a Force today?
                  >
                  > Jim
                  > Westwood, KS

                • Joshua Goldstein
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 16, 2009
                    I endorse the view that it's best to stick with the original size, P155 / 80
                    R13, although there aren't a lot of them to choose from. I ended up buying
                    Kumho Solus KR21 and have been happy with them.
                    Joshua Goldstein

                    > I have been following various discussions and would appreciate a
                    > conscience (I need to do something tomorrow). What is the best type tire
                    > to put on a Force today?
                    >
                    > Jim
                    > Westwood, KS

                  • Wolf Packs, Inc.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 16, 2009
                      I like the Sumitomo low rolling resistance tires on my '97 Force,
                      sorry I don't remember the tire specs. I use at least 1 less Ah to get
                      home than I did with the previous tires. At 51 psi they handle the
                      winding mountain road just fine.

                      Paul Martin
                      Ashland, Oregon
                    • mikep_95133
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 16, 2009
                        There are two links on this page under 'Low Rolling Resistance Tires', that have LRR tire reports. The one from Greenseal is there, but there is a newer one that might also help.

                        http://www.rotordesign.com/sjeaa/techlinks.html

                        Someday the law is suppose to require the LRR coefficient to be on the sidewalls. But they keep pushing the date out.

                        I bought some LRR tires from Walmart. They are Goodyear Viva2. Only sold through Walmart. They were on the Greenseal list. They are only at .010 coefficient, but at least they were verified as LRR. They are 44psi tires that I have run at 50psi for several years now. The difference from 44 to 50 is noticeable. But going from non-LRR tires to LRR tires was very noticeable.

                        Also adding synthetic lube to the transmission and rear end (truck), along with setting the front end toe-in alignment to zero toe-in, gave a measured 10% improvement in efficiency the very next day, and every day ever since.

                        Mike