Re: [force_ev] Estimating Market Value

  • EVdave
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 29, 2005
      that was mine... i bought it..... i have looked at the e10 for about 1.5 years now, debating whether i should buy or not.... i could have gotten one that needed work for 4k.... but opted for one that was complete for 7.6k.... glad i did.... nice learning about it with a working model, otherwise i would still have it in the garage un used... as it is, ive already put 500 miles on it.... there was also one for 12k a little while ago..... not a bad vehicle, but a little pricey if you ask me.... mine has a couple of dents, but about 500 should have it fixed when i decide to do it....

      dave
      evdave@...
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 30, 2005
        nope acutally, it was 4566310584 i bought it for exactly 7600.... thats why i thought you were referencing mine....

        db

        ________________________________

                • theoldcars@aol.com

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 4, 2005
                      There is 1996 E10 on eBay at the moment. It needs new batteries and the
                      current bid is $4550.00.

                      Her is the URL http://tinyurl.com/cacrt

                      The AD says there is a Hughes magnacharger with it. I didn't think that
                      Solectria used the magnacharger.

                      Noel
                      evfinder.com

                    • theoldcars@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 4, 2005
                        Hello Dave

                        I took a look at the one you bought. The body damage to the fender and door
                        in a collision shop would be at least 1500 dollars. You might get lucky and
                        find a used right door and fender that are white. Then it would be just a
                        matter of bolting on parts. I would check around with your local wrecking yards.
                        White is one of the most popular colors so hold off buying them until you come
                        across it. Refinishing is not cheep and if it is you get what you pay for. I
                        have been in the collision industry for 30 years and own two collision
                        centers now.

                        Even with the damage I still think you got a really great buy on the truck.
                        The other action the truck needed batteries and had no charger and still sold
                        for more than yours. You were lucky.

                        Don

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 4, 2005
                          Ed your right on with the lead acid Rangers. The NiMH Rangers are so rare
                          who knows what they are worth. The lead acid refurbished packs are used
                          batteries that came out of the US Postal trucks. The battery failure rate was so bad
                          in the Postal trucks it was the reason they stopped using them. Calling them
                          refurbished packs makes it sound like they are back almost as good as new.
                          What they really are is used batteries that are tested to be good. The problem
                          I see is they were to be good when they were new. That failure rate is pushed
                          more by the fact you have 39 batteries in every truck. The other problem for
                          lead acid batteries is age. Even with light use and proper care a lead acid
                          battery is only good so long. I am not sure what the date of manufacture is
                          but they must be getting near the end of it. No one I know of has come up with
                          a replacement for the Ranger batteries. The trucks are all dead and no one
                          has come up with a fix that they are sharing.

                          On the Solectria Force I had looked for a year before I found mine. I had
                          missed out on several and it seemed at the time they were at least 12,000 and
                          that was a year and half ago. Something else to consider it seems every time I
                          want a vehicle it is clear across the nation from me. The shipping 1200 to
                          1400 hundred dollars and that is before the cost of fuel went up. If you are
                          closer to the vehicle you save a lot.

                          I was looking for a factory built vehicle because you cannot compete with
                          the buying power of a large purchaser. If want to build a Solectria clone your
                          going to spend a lot more than 12,000 dollars. Take a look at
                          _http://www.electroauto.com/catalog/price-pts.shtml_
                          (http://www.electroauto.com/catalog/price-pts.shtml) . Nothing against Electro Automotive it just cost more to buy
                          when your doing one project. The Metro kit is 15,890 with batteries this is not
                          with the Brusa charger the Solectria has. You can add another 1364 dollars
                          to that price using their price guide. This does not include shipping the
                          batteries this would be in San Francisco.

                          So with no labor, vehicle or shipping of batteries your at 17,254 dollars. I
                          will make a point about the buying of a car to convert. This is usually done
                          when the ICE is to costly to rebuild. This means the car has at least 100
                          thousand miles. Used Solectria vehicles are not usually high mileage vehicles.
                          If you don't think a car wears out go look at a vehicle with 20k miles and
                          one with 120k. You would be into this project for 20k and that does not take
                          into consideration the labor, space or time it would take to do. The superior
                          AC system the Solectria has is the closest your going to get to the best
                          factory made AC systems.

                          Of the factory built and I include Solectria in this list because they used
                          new gliders. The only electric vehicles that sold in the hundreds and are
                          still around in larger numbers that could hold 4 people and luggage was the
                          Toyota RAV4 and the Solectria Force. The RAV4 sells for 35 to 40 the most I have
                          seen the Solectria Force lead acid sell for was 17k on eBay a while back. I
                          don't know what these gas prices are going to do to the price of electric
                          vehicles but I doubt they will be going down. Another point I would like to make
                          is an electric vehicle unlike an ICE holds its value. The biggest factor
                          being the condition of the batteries. Here is where the Force has another edge.
                          You only have 13 batteries to replace.

                          I think the trucks are great buy but it all depends on what you want.
                          Prices on eBay are all over the map. I have seen many items with no bidders
                          list again and then it sells way more than it was listed for the prior time.
                          Sometimes you get lucky but that is not very often.

                          Mark was inquiring about the value because I have been willing to sell mine
                          if it stayed local. It has just under 18k miles. The charger has been
                          charging at half speed and I have not fixed it. I was told by Kevin at Solectria it
                          was a common problem and the fix cost 200 dollars not including shipping.
                          Thinks it is just a spot that needs to be soldered. I have it apart now but
                          don't know where to look so I may send it in. The batteries are good for about 20
                          to 25 Amp hours. About the same as over a year ago. I hate to replace them
                          because for me the range works most the time. I would like to see how long
                          they will last. They are the original batteries I took a look and they are
                          numbered by Solectria. That means they are at 8 years old and still going with no
                          loss of range in over a year. I offered this to Mark for 10,500. I thought it
                          was a good price because it still has life left in the batteries 15 to 20
                          miles range and the charger should cost 300 dollars including shipping. This
                          would be the first electric vehicle I have sold.

                          I also have been looking at batteries. I can get the Interstate DCS-88BT a
                          sealed lead acid battery for 100 dollars. The whole pack would cost 1300 this
                          is 600 dollars less than the Gel batteries. If the charger was reprogramed
                          would not the performance be close them. In 1997 AGM batteries were not as
                          reasonable priced as today. If they only lasted 70 percent as long that would
                          still be the same price as Gel but less up front. I have read the AGM is able to
                          handle higher power than the Gel in electric vehicles. It makes me wonder
                          because all the factory cars used AGM before they switched over to NiMH
                          batteries except for Solectria. I don't want to spend a lot on batteries because I
                          feel in a few more years the NiMH is going to come down a lot.

                          Don

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 4, 2005
                            Battery MD is actaully rebuilding the batteries using the old case as a
                            base. The resulting batteries are supposed to be pretty close to the
                            original capacity. If anyone buys a PbA Ranger make sure that the old
                            batterys are in the vehicle even if they are shot. Battery MD charges
                            something like three times as much if you don't have the original battery
                            cases.

                            Noel
                            evfinder.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 4, 2005
                              Hello Noel

                              I have talked to Kitty at BatteryMD she also started Bluesky Motors. She is
                              not rebuilding the batteries they do need the pack tray and also in there is
                              the BCM. The batteries are actually coming from the 500 US postal trucks. I
                              have read this and I also confirmed this with Kitty. When I started looking at
                              that option they had a one year warranty by Ford. I actually had put down
                              half the funds and was trying to set up a time for her to do them when the
                              warranty was no longer given. I can assure you the batteries are not rebuild in
                              anyway. They are tested and that is it. This is the best way I know of getting
                              the Rangers back on the road as of this time.

                              Don

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 5, 2005
                                Thanks Don;

                                That is interesting to know. I has an email conversation with someone from
                                BatteryMD who told me they were actually rebuilding the units. Kitty's
                                explanation of what they are doing is more likely though.

                                Noel