Fun Fact!

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
      I was just updating my EV mileage spreadsheet today and coincidentally,
      drove past a gas station while on an errand. The price of gas has hit
      $3.25/gal here. My Solectria Force costs 2.33 cents per mile for
      electricity to operate, which is the equivalent of over 139MPG at that
      price.

      With this fact and the talk of 1970's-style gas rationing coming soon,
      who's laughing at my "impractical EV" now?

      -Tom

      --
      Thomas Hudson
      http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
        ditto! I think my Rav4 is going for double what i bought it for now ;-)
        Terry

        _____

        I was just updating my EV mileage spreadsheet today and coincidentally,
        drove past a gas station while on an errand. The price of gas has hit
        $3.25/gal here. My Solectria Force costs 2.33 cents per mile for
        electricity to operate, which is the equivalent of over 139MPG at that
        price.

        With this fact and the talk of 1970's-style gas rationing coming soon,
        who's laughing at my "impractical EV" now?

        -Tom

        --
        Thomas Hudson
        http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        " on the web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _____

      • umarc
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
          On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Tom Hudson wrote:

          > I was just updating my EV mileage spreadsheet today and coincidentally,
          > drove past a gas station while on an errand. The price of gas has hit
          > $3.25/gal here. My Solectria Force costs 2.33 cents per mile for
          > electricity to operate, which is the equivalent of over 139MPG at that
          > price.

          Does that include the cost of replacing the batteries every three or four
          years?

          Rob
        • Will Beckett (pacbell)
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
            OK, but if you do that you need to factor in oil changes, tune-ups, muffler,
            radiators and so on. My batteries are about 10 cents per mile but most of
            my electricity is solar.

          • theoldcars@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
              Hello Rob

              My 97 Force has almost 18,000 miles on the first set of batteries. They are
              8 years old and still get around 20 miles range. They are lead acid.

              Don

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                Since my car has NiCD batteries, reportedly good for over 100K miles, I
                don't expect to be changing the pack before the car body's shot. Our
                miles-per-year isn't that high and I suspect corrosion here in the North
                will take its toll.

                -Tom

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005
                  I will have had my Force for 1 year on the 3rd of Sep. I have driven
                  it almost exactly 4000 miles. The immediate cost of the electricity
                  has been $00.00 at my end.

                  Major expenses, up until the time the charger died were new
                  wheels and tires, avcon adaptor and other misc hardware all of which
                  were going to be one time items. Like the new 220 outlet.

                  A battery replacement is going to happen one of these days but right
                  now the pack will still do everything that I have asked it to do.
                  Definitely capable of high 30's. But they can't last forever. Niether
                  can $3 dollar gas, it is going to go up.

                  So driving past the gas station in the Force is an enjoyable
                  experience, good for the enviroment and if you do the math right a
                  sound economic choice also. And as Tom says "Fun Facts".

                  I think CBS is going to have a news segment on the alternative vehicle
                  program in Vacaville real soon. They were filming on Tuesday. It may
                  run nationally. If I get some info I'll post it.

                  Mike
                  97 Force,
                  PV powered

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005
                    PV power! Way to go, Mike!

                    I just got back into doing my PV/EV meter reads and in the past year, my
                    PV array has produced 1131 kWh while my Force used only 626.

                    But of course, you realize neither PVs nor EVs are practical, right? ;-)

                    -Tom

                    --
                  • gjc0@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 2, 2005
                      Tom:

                      When you add in the cost of battery amortization, what kind of figures to you get?

                      Up here in Boise, electricy is 6 cents a KWH and at 4 miles/KWH, energy costs me
                      1.5 cents a mile.

                      However, my MK Gel batteries (12 12 volters) cost about $1800.00 a set.
                      If, I can get 30,000 miles on a set of batteries, my battery cost alone is
                      6 cents a mile. (1800.00 / 30,000)

                      This makes the total cost 7.5 cents a mile or 40 miles per gallon equivalent at
                      $3.00 a gallon for gas.

                      Being new at this, what kind of life can I expect out of a set of batteries?
                      I try to keep them above 50% SOC and more often above 75% SOC.

                      Sincereley,
                      Gary Carlson

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 16, 2005
                        I made significant progress in the EV. I found a
                        short in the speed sensor wiring. Rubbing against the
                        encoder wheel wore out some of the wire insulation. I
                        still have a couple of other issues:

                        1. I doubled check the motor thermistor. I measured
                        187 Ohms. That seems low for a thermistor. Does any
                        know the spec of the motor thermistor?

                        2. I lost 12V power to the AC, brake pump, and motor
                        fan. All fuses are good and no relays are shorted.
                        Does anyone know which relay / fuse does this 12V
                        power comes from. Any advice would surely be appreciated.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Anil Paryani
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 18, 2005
                          I want to add that I still have my accessorie 12V
                          power to my radio, dash display cigarrette lighter. I
                          also am measuring just 20ohms between the 12V powering
                          the fan, AC and brake booster and gnd. Is there a
                          relay that has gone bad?

                          http://mail.yahoo.com