RE: [force_ev] Solectria to drop nicads?

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 7, 2000
      > And if Solectria don't want to use liquid cooled nicads, they needn't --
      > the batteries are available in an air-cooled version, which requires a
      > half-inch of space between the long sides of the batteries and fans in
      > the battery boxes. This is ~not~ a big deal.

      I'm about to start the process of converting our 156V lead-acid Force to
      nicads. I'm going to leverage Solectria's knowledge of nicads to get the
      job done efficiently. I'll keep all of you posted...

      > One thing you might consider is a search for a used Force. Some of the
      > electric utilities that bought them in the early to mid 90s are now
      > replacing them with RAV/4-EVs and the like. You might even be able to
      > find a nicad Force.
      >
      > Tom Hudson bought his '95 E-10 pickup this way, I think. Or maybe it was
      > a government agency. Tom, any suggestions?

      I got mine from a General Services Administration (GSA) auction, but I was
      tipped off to the vehicle by Solectria. I told them I was looking for a
      used E-10 pickup, and they told me about the one I eventually bought. I
      don't know if the government has any more of them that will be disposed of,
      but you can get on email lists of disposal property. I got mine from the
      Pacific Rim Region GSA office, their website is
      http://www.pacificrim.gsa.gov/fss/sales/default.asp. Just follow the link
      to the sales schedule and catalogs.

      -Tom

      Thomas Hudson