Re: [force_ev] Solectria to drop nicads?

  • David Roden (Akron OH USA)
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 7, 2000
      > Sounds like they had increased
      > the complexity of the watering system to include an anti-freeze based
      > cooling system around the [nicad] batteries.

      This is still puzzling. The liquid cooling is ~not~ that difficult to
      implement. Think Norway is doing it with no trouble. Not sure about
      Peugeot, but I believe they use liquid cooling too.

      And if Solectria don't want to use liquid cooled nicads, they needn't --
      the batteries are available in an air-cooled version, which requires a
      half-inch of space between the long sides of the batteries and fans in
      the battery boxes. This is ~not~ a big deal.

      The nicads cost under $9,000 for a 156v pack, much less than half the
      cost of those Gold Peak (maybe that should be "Solid Gold Peak") NiMH,
      and they last about 5 times as long. What are they thinking there at
      Solectria?!?!

      One thing you might consider is a search for a used Force. Some of the
      electric utilities that bought them in the early to mid 90s are now
      replacing them with RAV/4-EVs and the like. You might even be able to
      find a nicad Force.

      Tom Hudson bought his '95 E-10 pickup this way, I think. Or maybe it was
      a government agency. Tom, any suggestions?

      David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
      1991 Solectria Force 144vac
      1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
      1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
      1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
      1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
      = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
      NOTE: If you receive an email which exhorts you to "Send
      this to everyone you know," you don't know me.
      = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    • Tom Hudson
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 7, 2000
        > And if Solectria don't want to use liquid cooled nicads, they needn't --
        > the batteries are available in an air-cooled version, which requires a
        > half-inch of space between the long sides of the batteries and fans in
        > the battery boxes. This is ~not~ a big deal.

        I'm about to start the process of converting our 156V lead-acid Force to
        nicads. I'm going to leverage Solectria's knowledge of nicads to get the
        job done efficiently. I'll keep all of you posted...

        > One thing you might consider is a search for a used Force. Some of the
        > electric utilities that bought them in the early to mid 90s are now
        > replacing them with RAV/4-EVs and the like. You might even be able to
        > find a nicad Force.
        >
        > Tom Hudson bought his '95 E-10 pickup this way, I think. Or maybe it was
        > a government agency. Tom, any suggestions?

        I got mine from a General Services Administration (GSA) auction, but I was
        tipped off to the vehicle by Solectria. I told them I was looking for a
        used E-10 pickup, and they told me about the one I eventually bought. I
        don't know if the government has any more of them that will be disposed of,
        but you can get on email lists of disposal property. I got mine from the
        Pacific Rim Region GSA office, their website is
        http://www.pacificrim.gsa.gov/fss/sales/default.asp. Just follow the link
        to the sales schedule and catalogs.

        -Tom

        Thomas Hudson