Not Charging

  • Stephen Taylor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2005
      I've been trying to help Mike with his charger problems, but my abilities in this area are very limited. Apparently his car won't charge. It is very hot where he is (over 100F), the error light on the LED box is not on, and he noted that his battery box fan had quite working. Below is his email to me, anyone got any ideas that could help. He also doesn't have the NLG software that might help him some, if anyone can send that to him that would be great.

      Stephen Taylor

      MIKE WRITES BELOW

      The charger is a Brusa type NLG (412b)
      I don't have an avcon inlet in the car itself. Use an adapter box to charge on public outlets.

      Here is what I have done and found out so far.
      1. Let it sit for about 90 minutes at home and then plugged it in. Not charging
      2. Noticed that the annoying brake warning safety horn was not coming on when the brake was released with the key out.
      3. Removed rear battery box cover. Little fan definitely not running. Batteries not really "hot", nothing much above ambient temperature. I think that fan is set to come on at 85 F. So it pretty much runs unless I put the car outside at night.
      4. Checked a/c voltage from gas cap inlet to inside of vehicle. It's OK
      5. Plugged charger in directly, inside of trunk. Not charging
      6. Disconnected all power leads to controllers and car.
      7. Checked all fuses that might be even remotely related. All OK
      8. Located ignition interlock box under the dash.
      9. Let sit for 60 minutes.
      10. Powered car back up. The little battery box fan came on and the brake warning buzzer is buzzing again.
      11. Charger not working. Car will move with a/c power cord connected.
      12. The battery state was 29.33 AH when I depowered the vehicle. If I can't get the charger working in the next day or so I think I am committed to charging the batteries to full charge individually. I can do this pretty quick in the back, the front is a bit of a pain with the a/c unit. But if I start down that road I realize I have to finish all 13. Voltage on the rear 8 varied from 12.78 to 12.88 at the time I opened it up. I have two really good solid state high frequency chargers but they are both only 12 volts.

      You said you have some info on the Brusa and laptop analysis. I see there is a port on the side with the connectors and closest to the fender, RS232 maybe? Has a cap on it. Any help would be appreciated.

      I have what solectria calls the service manual but it isn't helping at this point except for location of components.

      I have it sitting plugged in now and plan to leave it that way overnight, although I think I will move it out of the garage as a fire prevention measure and it will let it cool down real well as we will be in the 60's at night.

      The car has been running really great so this is a real disappointment.

      Thanks,
      Mike

    • Tom Hudson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27, 2005
        Send Mike to http://www.brusa.biz/e_software.htm and have him download
        monlog_e.exe. Then he can connect to the charger with a 9-pin
        connector, plug in the car and run the software. Have him note the
        status number, if it's zero there are no problems. Could be a bad
        temperature sensor, but if the car runs with the charger plugged in as
        he says there's definitely something wrong -- He may not read any data
        from the charger, and if that's the case then he needs to get the
        charger looked at. The USA rep for Brusa is Metric Mind
        (http://www.metricmind.com/).

        Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

        -Tom

        Stephen Taylor wrote:

        >I've been trying to help Mike with his charger problems, but my abilities in this area are very limited. Apparently his car won't charge. It is very hot where he is (over 100F), the error light on the LED box is not on, and he noted that his battery box fan had quite working. Below is his email to me, anyone got any ideas that could help. He also doesn't have the NLG software that might help him some, if anyone can send that to him that would be great.
        >
        >Stephen Taylor
        >
        >MIKE WRITES BELOW
        >

        >The charger is a Brusa type NLG (412b)
        >I don't have an avcon inlet in the car itself. Use an adapter box to charge on public outlets.
        >
        >Here is what I have done and found out so far.
        >1. Let it sit for about 90 minutes at home and then plugged it in. Not charging
        >2. Noticed that the annoying brake warning safety horn was not coming on when the brake was released with the key out.
        >3. Removed rear battery box cover. Little fan definitely not running. Batteries not really "hot", nothing much above ambient temperature. I think that fan is set to come on at 85 F. So it pretty much runs unless I put the car outside at night.
        >4. Checked a/c voltage from gas cap inlet to inside of vehicle. It's OK
        >5. Plugged charger in directly, inside of trunk. Not charging
        >6. Disconnected all power leads to controllers and car.
        >7. Checked all fuses that might be even remotely related. All OK
        >8. Located ignition interlock box under the dash.
        >9. Let sit for 60 minutes.
        >10. Powered car back up. The little battery box fan came on and the brake warning buzzer is buzzing again.
        >11. Charger not working. Car will move with a/c power cord connected.
        >12. The battery state was 29.33 AH when I depowered the vehicle. If I can't get the charger working in the next day or so I think I am committed to charging the batteries to full charge individually. I can do this pretty quick in the back, the front is a bit of a pain with the a/c unit. But if I start down that road I realize I have to finish all 13. Voltage on the rear 8 varied from 12.78 to 12.88 at the time I opened it up. I have two really good solid state high frequency chargers but they are both only 12 volts.
        >
        >You said you have some info on the Brusa and laptop analysis. I see there is a port on the side with the connectors and closest to the fender, RS232 maybe? Has a cap on it. Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        >I have what solectria calls the service manual but it isn't helping at this point except for location of components.
        >
        >I have it sitting plugged in now and plan to leave it that way overnight, although I think I will move it out of the garage as a fire prevention measure and it will let it cool down real well as we will be in the 60's at night.
        >
        >The car has been running really great so this is a real disappointment.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Mike

        Thomas Hudson
        http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects