[force_ev] Repair problem

  • Leonard Tramiel
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28 8:47 PM
      After lots of back and forth the folk at Solectria are pretty sure that the
      relay in my controller is intermittently bad. This causes the car to "die",
      as if the selector were set to neutral, at random. This makes driving quite
      unpleasant.

      Unfortunately they are so backed up on repairs they won't even give me an
      RMA.

      Anyone know of an alternate place to get a Solectria Motor Controller
      repaired?

      -Leonard
    • Tom Hudson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28 9:38 PM
        Wow, now _that's_ customer service, huh? That pretty much sucks.
        Solectria has definitely taken a serious dip in their concern for
        customers. Used to be, if you had a problem they were very responsive.
        Apparently not any more.

        IIRC, you have a Solectria-designed controller, right? I mean, it's not
        an AMC325, it's one of their UMOC models, correct? If it's an AMC325,
        it was built by Brusa and you could contact Victor Tikhonov,
        vtikhono@..., who is Brusa's USA rep, and perhaps he could fix it.

        Honestly, if it was me and Solectria refused to fix it, I'd crack the
        thing open and replace the relay myself. Obviously it isn't under any
        kind of warranty anymore...

        -Tom

        --
        Thomas Hudson
        http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29 12:19 PM
          I've got a UMOC 425.

          I also got an email today with an RMA and an advanced apology for the 4 to 6
          week turnaround.

          -Leonard

          > Wow, now _that's_ customer service, huh? That pretty much sucks.
          > Solectria has definitely taken a serious dip in their concern for
          > customers. Used to be, if you had a problem they were very responsive.
          > Apparently not any more.
          >
          > IIRC, you have a Solectria-designed controller, right? I mean, it's not
          > an AMC325, it's one of their UMOC models, correct? If it's an AMC325,
          > it was built by Brusa and you could contact Victor Tikhonov,
          > vtikhono@..., who is Brusa's USA rep, and perhaps he could fix it.
          >
          > Honestly, if it was me and Solectria refused to fix it, I'd crack the
          > thing open and replace the relay myself. Obviously it isn't under any
          > kind of warranty anymore...
          >
          > -Tom
          >
          > Leonard Tramiel wrote:
          >
          >>After lots of back and forth the folk at Solectria are pretty sure that
          >>the
          >>relay in my controller is intermittently bad. This causes the car to
          >>"die",
          >>as if the selector were set to neutral, at random. This makes driving
          >>quite
          >>unpleasant.
          >>
          >>Unfortunately they are so backed up on repairs they won't even give me an
          >>RMA.
          >>
          >>Anyone know of an alternate place to get a Solectria Motor Controller
          >>repaired?
          >>
          >>-Leonard
          >>

          > --
          > Thomas Hudson
          > http://portdistrict5.org -- 5th District Aldermanic Website
          > http://portev.org -- Electric Vehicles, Solar Power & More
          > http://portgardenclub.org -- Port Washington Garden Club
          > http://portlightstation.org -- Light Station Restoration
          > http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Stephen Taylor
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 29 1:55 PM
            Leonard you have described exactly my experience with Solectria lately. Just when I started to give up that Solectria would ever respond to my request to get my UMOC 440F repaired I got an RMA from Kevin. I was told that it would be a 3 to 4 week turnaround. Now 6 weeks later they should be shipping my repaired unit this week. So there is still hope for those that are persistent.

            By the way I had the same symptoms. When I hit a bump the relay would go into a fault condition (no power) for 10 to 30 seconds and then reset on its own and off I would go until I hit another bump.

            Stephen Taylor

            Leonard Tramiel <leonard@...> wrote:
            I've got a UMOC 425.

            I also got an email today with an RMA and an advanced apology for the 4 to 6
            week turnaround.

            -Leonard

          • Noel Adams
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29 5:56 PM
              Someone is currently selling one on eBay but I don't know enough about them
              to know if it is compatiable with yours. Might be worth checking out though.

              >From: "Leonard Tramiel" <leonard@...>
              >To: <force_ev@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [force_ev] Repair problem
              >Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:47:41 -0700
              >
              >After lots of back and forth the folk at Solectria are pretty sure that
              >the
              >relay in my controller is intermittently bad. This causes the car to "die",
              >as if the selector were set to neutral, at random. This makes driving quite
              >unpleasant.
              >
              >Unfortunately they are so backed up on repairs they won't even give me an
              >RMA.
              >
              >Anyone know of an alternate place to get a Solectria Motor Controller
              >repaired?
              >
              >-Leonard

            • Ed Garcia
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 29 6:15 PM
                ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4559192411&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

                Appears to be a motor controller for the A/C motor, not the traction
                motor.

                --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Noel Adams" <evfinder@h...> wrote:
                > Someone is currently selling one on eBay but I don't know enough
                about them
                > to know if it is compatiable with yours. Might be worth checking
                out though.

                > >From: "Leonard Tramiel" <leonard@t...>
                > >To: <force_ev@yahoogroups.com>
                > >Subject: [force_ev] Repair problem
                > >Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:47:41 -0700
                > >
                > >After lots of back and forth the folk at Solectria are pretty
                sure that
                > >the
                > >relay in my controller is intermittently bad. This causes the car
                to "die",
                > >as if the selector were set to neutral, at random. This makes
                driving quite
                > >unpleasant.
                > >
                > >Unfortunately they are so backed up on repairs they won't even
                give me an
                > >RMA.
                > >
                > >Anyone know of an alternate place to get a Solectria Motor
                Controller
                > >repaired?
                > >
                > >-Leonard

              • Leonard Tramiel
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 29 11:09 PM
                  Well, later is better than nothing.

                  The reason that I haven't asked for an RMA until now is my symptoms are
                  different than yours.

                  My car dies with no apparent cause. Bumps are not involved. I can go over
                  speed bumps with no problem and have it die on smooth flat pavement. I have
                  also not had it reset itself. I need to switch to neutral.

                  On the other hand the controller does report "relay FAULT". That seems
                  pretty clear that there is a problem with the relay.

                  Well time to get out the wrenches :-)

                  -Leonard

                  > Leonard you have described exactly my experience with Solectria lately.
                  > Just when I started to give up that Solectria would ever respond to my
                  > request to get my UMOC 440F repaired I got an RMA from Kevin. I was told
                  > that it would be a 3 to 4 week turnaround. Now 6 weeks later they should
                  > be shipping my repaired unit this week. So there is still hope for those
                  > that are persistent.
                  >
                  > By the way I had the same symptoms. When I hit a bump the relay would go
                  > into a fault condition (no power) for 10 to 30 seconds and then reset on
                  > its own and off I would go until I hit another bump.
                  >
                  > Stephen Taylor
                  >

                  > Leonard Tramiel <leonard@...> wrote:
                  > I've got a UMOC 425.
                  >
                  > I also got an email today with an RMA and an advanced apology for the 4 to
                  > 6
                  > week turnaround.
                  >
                  > -Leonard

                • dufus2020
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 30 8:43 AM
                    --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard Tramiel" <leonard@t...> wrote:
                    > After lots of back and forth the folk at Solectria are pretty sure
                    that the
                    > relay in my controller is intermittently bad. This causes the car
                    to "die",
                    > as if the selector were set to neutral, at random. This makes driving
                    quite
                    > unpleasant.
                    >
                    > Unfortunately they are so backed up on repairs they won't even give
                    me an
                    > RMA.
                    >
                    > Anyone know of an alternate place to get a Solectria Motor Controller
                    > repaired?
                    >
                    > -Leonard

                    If you are willing to troubleshoot, unplug the anderson battery
                    connector, open up the controller cover, and check the relay electrical
                    connections. Remove and reattach the battery and control connections.
                    If the relay has an open frame (probably not), clean the relay
                    contacts. No guarantees this will work, but check the obvious before
                    sending it off for repair.