Re: Force over voltage

  • Gordon Stallings
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005
      >Hi Gordon,
      >I was reading the Force_EV group letters and I have a few questions
      >for you in regards to your post about the regeneration.
      >
      >>That is, the overvoltage does not distribute evenly among
      >>the batteries. I've seen voltage as high as 18 volts on one battery!
      >
      >You may not be able to answer this because I'm sure you like me try
      >to avoid the screeching type regen after a full charge. Anyhow
      >questions goes something like this:
      >1. Is it always the same battery (batteries) in the pack that
      >demonstrates the highest voltage?
      >2. If it is do these same batteries demonstrate a propensity for
      >higher or lower voltage during normal discharge and charging?
      >3. When the pack is down and accepts regen without any problem does
      >it still seem to distribute voltage unevenly?
      >3. Does this regen over voltage seem to be getting worse as your
      >pack gets older?
      >
      >I have also noticed that it is only at full regen that I get the
      >screech. If I minimize the level of regen my pack seems to absorb it
      >without any objection.

      Answers:

      1. No, not always the same pattern of voltage levels during regen.
      But I do think that one battery is more prone to overvoltage than the
      others.

      2. Not appreciably. (The resolution on my gauge is .25 volt and
      calibration varies slightly with temperature so the small variations
      I see may or may not be significant.) My battery set appears to be
      well-balanced except when regenerating into a fully-charged pack.
      I've got almost 18,000 miles on this set of batteries and am very
      pleased with their performance and stamina. I'd like to keep this
      set in good condition as long as possible, which is why I avoid
      overvoltage.

      3. No. After I've pulled 2AH or so out of the pack, regeneration
      causes a uniform rise in battery voltages, and the voltages all stay
      within range.

      4. That's a good question. Maybe so. As a general practice, I avoid
      heavy regen when fully charged, so I don't see this condition often.