introduction/jerking when pedal slowly depressed

  • Ken Olum
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2005
      Hi, everyone. I recently bought a 1998 Force from Tim Baker and Mike
      Montgomery, who got it at auction from the State of New York. Now my
      Force is at Solectria (Azure) where everyone is puzzling over the
      following problems.

      If you slowly depress the accelerator, instead of slowly moving
      forward the car gives a forward jerk and then a backward jerk, and
      continues to do this for a while as you slowly depress the pedal.
      Eventually it starts moving forward. If you just push down on the
      pedal quickly it moves fine. The worst example of this problem was
      trying to get off the tow dolly at Solectria. I slowly depressed the
      pedal all the way to the floor without the car actually moving out of
      the depression on the dolly.

      There's also a problem in regen. Going down a hill without my foot on
      either the accelerator or the brake the car shudders back and forth
      and the brake lights flash on and off.

      Solectria has already tried replacing the speed sensor, including the
      wheel, replacing the controller, and operating the car with some
      remote control device that replaces the potbox and I think the
      "ignition box". Grounding problems have also been checked for. Kevin
      at Solectria reports that with the emergency brake on and the back of
      the motor off you can observe the motor turning about half a
      revolution backward and forward.

      Solectria's best idea is that the problem is excessive play in the
      transmission, and would like on the order of $500 to take the
      transmission apart to check for problems. I wouldn't mind paying
      that much to have the problem fixed, but I'm reluctant to pay for
      nothing, and at the moment I don't have a credible explanation of how
      the play causes the problem.

      Has anyone seen anything like this? Is there some reasonable
      explanation for how a transmission problem would cause this
      behavior?

      Thanks.

      Ken