getting 240vac from 120vac

  • joelmeyn
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      I discovered a product that will hopefully solve my charging dilemma:
      getting 240vac in my condo carport without rewiring. The product is
      shown at http://www.quick220.com/orders.htm uses two (opposite
      polarity) 120vac circuits combined to gain 240vac. I live in a
      condominium. The carports have a 120vac at the head of each parking
      stall. I tested and found indeed that the space to the right of mine
      has the opposite polarity I need to get 240vac.

      I believe I will be ordering one soon, but would be interested if
      anyone else has experience with this.--Joel
    • Terry Broadbent
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
        Joel,

        Yes, I have used this type of product that we engineered ourselves at our
        shop ... for applications at our shop other than plugging in a charger. We
        would use it for AV projectors and Lighting instruments. The concern
        always is the amp draw of the appliance you would be plugging in. I know my
        Rav 4 charger requires a 40amp service. The device that you are looking at
        here only has the capacity of 15amps.

        Terry

        I discovered a product that will hopefully solve my charging dilemma:
        getting 240vac in my condo carport without rewiring. The product is
        shown at http://www.quick220.com/orders.htm uses two (opposite
        polarity) 120vac circuits combined to gain 240vac. I live in a
        condominium. The carports have a 120vac at the head of each parking
        stall. I tested and found indeed that the space to the right of mine
        has the opposite polarity I need to get 240vac.

        I believe I will be ordering one soon, but would be interested if
        anyone else has experience with this.--Joel

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • joelmeyn
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2005
          I don't think y'all read the entire product list. There is a 20 amp
          version listed (for more money). Thanks for the tips on wiring this
          for cheap, but the part about strapping circuit breakers together
          doesn't sound doable as other members of the HOA use these
          circuits. I can't use an electric dryer outlet as there are none in
          this facility. The reason I am pursuing this carport charging is that
          my reserved space is in my carport.

          By the way, my car has a fuse between the charger and the pack. This
          is what blew recently and caused me to this my charger was dead.

          > Rav 4 charger requires a 40amp service. The device that you are
          looking at
          > here only has the capacity of 15amps.
          >
          > Terry

          If you can find an electric dryer (outlet)in your facility, it could
          be "tapped" with an adapter to connect to your charger, as needed.
          You could also leave the charger connected with the dryer, but make
          sure both are not used at the same time!