Current Solectria tech contact?

  • Tom Hudson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
      Anybody have the name of a technician at Solectria who can help with
      troubleshooting?

      My NiCD force is having some difficulty and I need to talk to somebody
      who (A) will return calls and (B) has some idea of what I'm talking about.

      Looks like a two-part problem here:

      The car bailed out on a charge last week. I had driven to around 71Ah
      and plugged it in for a charge. When I looked at the Ah counter the
      next day, it was sitting at ~47Ah. I unplugged and replugged and the
      charge restarted, so I went back in the house. Later, I went back out
      and the charge had stopped, this time around 46Ah. I got the notebook
      computer and hooked it up to the charger, which showed that its pilot
      counter had reset to zero. My guess was that I had encountered one of
      the rare Ah counter glitches and it was showing more Ah than it should.
      I reset the Ah counter by disconnecting the red System Disconnect connector.

      I took the car for a drive later that day and at around 26Ah noticed a
      serious loss of power. I barely made it home with the Ah counter
      showing around 30Ah. If you add this to the 46Ah that the counter had
      shown, it made sense that I lost power because that's around 76Ah total,
      which is the limit of the NiCDs in my car.

      I started wondering if the charge had stopped short because of a bad
      connection between the Ah counter and charger, making the charger think
      fewer Ah had been used. No, the charger shows about 30Ah on the "Pilot"
      counter.

      So, since the charger no longer has reasonable I figured I'd do a charge
      with the Ah counter disconnected, forcing the charger to use voltage
      cutoffs. I disconnected the Ah counter and started a charge. Problem
      -- The fan and pump weren't running! A quick check with a meter on the
      fan and pump connectors coming out of the temperature control box show
      that no voltage is being supplied to the pump or fan. The fuse is OK,
      so it must be in the cooling control box. No problem, I'll just hook up
      temporary jumper for the pump and fan, right to 12V. Well, the fan
      works but not the pump.

      So here's the questions:

      1) The pump seems dead. This sucks, because it means opening that
      sealed system and screwing around with all those hoses.

      2) The cooling system control box also seems dead. Did the pump fail in
      some way that fried the control box?

      3) What caused the original charge bailout? Unfortunately, I didn't
      notice the error code from the charger, if there was one. Did the pump
      fail in the middle of that charge and cause a temperature rise that
      terminated the charge?

      Hopefully, I can find someone at Solectria who can help troubleshoot and
      repair this.

      Any suggestions appreciated.

      -Tom

      --

      Thomas Hudson
      http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
        --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hudson <tomhudson@e...> wrote:
        > Anybody have the name of a technician at Solectria who can help
        with
        > troubleshooting?

        I am not sure if this helps, but on February 15, 2005, I spoke with
        Kevin Doherty (from Solectria) about a BC3300 charger problem. Kevin
        mentioned that Chuck Connors (from Solectria) could also handle my
        questions. I also noticed both their names in a few previous force_ev
        group postings. I do not have a direct phone number for either
        person, but was using the number on the Solectria website.

        I have not heard back from Kevin regarding my last inquiry (sent via
        email on February 22, 2005). I do not have anything to base my
        feelings on, but I am worried that Force support may be much harder
        to find now that Solectria is part of Azure Dynamics.

        Sincerely,

        Ben Gardner