Interpreting BC3300 / NLG412 charger error codes?

  • gardnerb2
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2005
      Due to formatting errors, I deleted my previous posting and reposted
      the corrected one. If doing this violates group etiquette, I hope
      the moderator will let me know.

      I am working on a 1999 lead-acid Force. The vehicle's service
      history is unknown. It was received used, knowing that both the
      BC3300/NLG412 charger and battery pack (at 6 volts) are dead. The
      battery pack will eventually be replaced (13 Gel-Tech 8G27).

      The information in the old postings helped me turn the dead charger
      (no LEDs on and no response from monlog_e.exe PC program) into a sick
      one (two LEDS on and data returned from monlog_e.exe) by replacing a
      shorted zener that was across a bridge rectifier. The browned
      circuit board area around the four rectifier diodes was the tip-off.

      My problem is that I am not sure if my sick charger problem is still
      due to the charger and/or other vehicle systems. If someone has
      experience with the following symptoms, I am hoping they will provide
      some advice.

      The "status NLG4:" returned by monlog_e.exe PC program is "5".
      According to the help screen (F1), this indicates the following:

      BIT0 evaluation 1: malfunction, error
      BIT2 evaluation 4: overvoltage, battery

      One yellow and one red LED are illuminated on the trunk mounted
      charger-interface box as follows:
      When the battery pack is disconnected, the yellow LED and the red LED
      that is second from the top are illuminated.
      When the battery pack is connected, the yellow LED and the top red
      LED are illuminated.

      The "overvoltage, battery" message from monlog_e.exe is somewhat
      understandable because the pack voltage (6V) is probably out of range.

      Does the "malfunction, error" occur whenever one of the external
      faults is registered (i.e. mains V, battery V, temperature sensors,
      etc.), or does it indicate something in the charger itself is bad? I
      am not sure how to interpret it, but a line from the charger user's
      manual indicates internal faults are detected through a self-test.

      Thanks again for all the archived postings that have been so
      informative.

      Sincerely,
      Ben Gardner
      Appleton, Wisconsin
    • Tom Hudson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
        Anybody have the name of a technician at Solectria who can help with
        troubleshooting?

        My NiCD force is having some difficulty and I need to talk to somebody
        who (A) will return calls and (B) has some idea of what I'm talking about.

        Looks like a two-part problem here:

        The car bailed out on a charge last week. I had driven to around 71Ah
        and plugged it in for a charge. When I looked at the Ah counter the
        next day, it was sitting at ~47Ah. I unplugged and replugged and the
        charge restarted, so I went back in the house. Later, I went back out
        and the charge had stopped, this time around 46Ah. I got the notebook
        computer and hooked it up to the charger, which showed that its pilot
        counter had reset to zero. My guess was that I had encountered one of
        the rare Ah counter glitches and it was showing more Ah than it should.
        I reset the Ah counter by disconnecting the red System Disconnect connector.

        I took the car for a drive later that day and at around 26Ah noticed a
        serious loss of power. I barely made it home with the Ah counter
        showing around 30Ah. If you add this to the 46Ah that the counter had
        shown, it made sense that I lost power because that's around 76Ah total,
        which is the limit of the NiCDs in my car.

        I started wondering if the charge had stopped short because of a bad
        connection between the Ah counter and charger, making the charger think
        fewer Ah had been used. No, the charger shows about 30Ah on the "Pilot"
        counter.

        So, since the charger no longer has reasonable I figured I'd do a charge
        with the Ah counter disconnected, forcing the charger to use voltage
        cutoffs. I disconnected the Ah counter and started a charge. Problem
        -- The fan and pump weren't running! A quick check with a meter on the
        fan and pump connectors coming out of the temperature control box show
        that no voltage is being supplied to the pump or fan. The fuse is OK,
        so it must be in the cooling control box. No problem, I'll just hook up
        temporary jumper for the pump and fan, right to 12V. Well, the fan
        works but not the pump.

        So here's the questions:

        1) The pump seems dead. This sucks, because it means opening that
        sealed system and screwing around with all those hoses.

        2) The cooling system control box also seems dead. Did the pump fail in
        some way that fried the control box?

        3) What caused the original charge bailout? Unfortunately, I didn't
        notice the error code from the charger, if there was one. Did the pump
        fail in the middle of that charge and cause a temperature rise that
        terminated the charge?

        Hopefully, I can find someone at Solectria who can help troubleshoot and
        repair this.

        Any suggestions appreciated.

        -Tom

        --

        Thomas Hudson
        http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
          --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hudson <tomhudson@e...> wrote:
          > Anybody have the name of a technician at Solectria who can help
          with
          > troubleshooting?

          I am not sure if this helps, but on February 15, 2005, I spoke with
          Kevin Doherty (from Solectria) about a BC3300 charger problem. Kevin
          mentioned that Chuck Connors (from Solectria) could also handle my
          questions. I also noticed both their names in a few previous force_ev
          group postings. I do not have a direct phone number for either
          person, but was using the number on the Solectria website.

          I have not heard back from Kevin regarding my last inquiry (sent via
          email on February 22, 2005). I do not have anything to base my
          feelings on, but I am worried that Force support may be much harder
          to find now that Solectria is part of Azure Dynamics.

          Sincerely,

          Ben Gardner