portable generator as emergency backup plan?

  • joelmeyn
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
      Before I do research, has anyone found it feasible to carry a
      generator in the trunk which would at least give a few extra miles in
      case the charging scene doen't pan out? My car is a '97 which
      prefers 220 vac though it will eventually charge on 110vac. Are any
      chargers made with 220 output (perhaps for european market)?
      --thanks, Joel
    • gjc0@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
        Joel:

        Sounds like a good idea. I could use a 3KW 240V unit.
        Please broadcast your findings to the group.

        Then there is always the do-it-yourself hybrid via a trailer
        approach.

        sincerely,
        Gary Carlson

      • theoldcars@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
          Hello Joel

          For 220 you would need at least a 3.5 kW generator. That is usually an 8
          horsepower unit and not lightweight. I don't think it would fit in the trunk.
          You could use a small 110 generator but it is going to charge very slow.

          A word of caution using the 110 a lot may blow up your charger.

          Don

          In a message dated 2/1/2005 9:42:23 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          jmeyn@... writes:

          Before I do research, has anyone found it feasible to carry a
          generator in the trunk which would at least give a few extra miles in
          case the charging scene doen't pan out? My car is a '97 which
          prefers 220 vac though it will eventually charge on 110vac. Are any
          chargers made with 220 output (perhaps for european market)?
          --thanks, Joel

        • Peter Belden
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
            I'll echo the word of caution on the 110v. I killed my charger two years ago by charing the car on 110v exclusively for several months. Got a new charger and a 220 outlet and now all is well.

            Peter
            '99 Blue Force
            Palo Alto, CA

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
              Well,
              I heard all your warnings, but didn't act in time. The charger
              (Solectria) stopped running Wednesday night (220 drier outlet) at my
              parents' house with meter reading 3.50. thinking maybe the charger
              thinks the batteries are full, I drove 14 miles home: charger still
              won't run. Meter now reads 17.00 Call to Ben Macri (Solectria Tech)
              He had me pull the small red connector which resets the meter to
              00.00 ... still dead. So, he is researching to see if he can come up
              with a solution.

              Can anyone tell me if it is feasible to connect a different charger
              just to get the batteries closer to full charge? Ben didn't seem to
              think it hurts for the pack to sit like this for a few days..

              --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, Peter Belden <pbelden@a...> wrote:
              > I'll echo the word of caution on the 110v. I killed my charger two
              years ago by charing the car on 110v exclusively for several months.
              Got a new charger and a 220 outlet and now all is well.
            • Stephen Taylor
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
                Assuming you have the standard 12 volt Gel batteries and a 156 volt pack, any charger will do in a pinch as long as the charging profile isn't too far off. If your not using anything as sophisticated as the Solectria Charger or the Brusa NLG4, it might be best to limit the charging voltage to 183 to 184 volts. It won't top the batteries off completely, but it is safer than overcharging them. If you can adjust a float charge at 175 to 176 volts that would be good too.

                Stephen Taylor

                joelmeyn <jmeyn@...> wrote:
                Well,
                I heard all your warnings, but didn't act in time. The charger
                (Solectria) stopped running Wednesday night (220 drier outlet) at my
                parents' house with meter reading 3.50. thinking maybe the charger
                thinks the batteries are full, I drove 14 miles home: charger still
                won't run. Meter now reads 17.00 Call to Ben Macri (Solectria Tech)
                He had me pull the small red connector which resets the meter to
                00.00 ... still dead. So, he is researching to see if he can come up
                with a solution.

                Can anyone tell me if it is feasible to connect a different charger
                just to get the batteries closer to full charge? Ben didn't seem to
                think it hurts for the pack to sit like this for a few days..

                --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, Peter Belden <pbelden@a...> wrote:
                > I'll echo the word of caution on the 110v. I killed my charger two
                years ago by charing the car on 110v exclusively for several months.
                Got a new charger and a 220 outlet and now all is well.

              • Will Beckett
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 4, 2005
                  I have used a Zivan in place of the Brusa and it worked very well.
                  Depending on were you are, you might be able to borrow or rent one from Ed
                  Thorpe.

                  I heard all your warnings, but didn't act in time. The charger
                  (Solectria) stopped running Wednesday night (220 drier outlet) at my
                  parents' house with meter reading 3.50. thinking maybe the charger thinks
                  the batteries are full, I drove 14 miles home: charger still won't run.
                  Meter now reads 17.00 Call to Ben Macri (Solectria Tech) He had me pull the
                  small red connector which resets the meter to 00.00 ... still dead. So, he
                  is researching to see if he can come up with a solution.

                  Can anyone tell me if it is feasible to connect a different charger just to
                  get the batteries closer to full charge? Ben didn't seem to think it hurts
                  for the pack to sit like this for a few days..

                  --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, Peter Belden <pbelden@a...> wrote:
                  > I'll echo the word of caution on the 110v. I killed my charger two
                  years ago by charing the car on 110v exclusively for several months.
                  Got a new charger and a 220 outlet and now all is well.

                  someone you know been affected by illness or disease?
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/FGYolB/TM