Re: [force_ev] Charge Profile for DEKA Gel Batteries

  • gjc0@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2005
      Are Deka Gel batteries the same as MKs?
      There is a lot of info at www.mkbatteries.com You need
      to look around their site a bit, but there is a technical
      paper in .pdf format that describes the 3 - 4 step charging process.
      I would send it to you, but my other computer is down right now.

      Gary Carlson

      PS: I believe the Zivan charger people know the charging profiles.

    • d1camero
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2005
        Gary, thanks for the note. Yes, they are MK batteries (I wonder
        what the relationship between East Penn and MK are??). I found the
        technical charging information on their web site (which is actually
        www.mkbattery.com)

        - thanks.

        Don

        --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, gjc0@a... wrote:
        > Are Deka Gel batteries the same as MKs?
        > There is a lot of info at www.mkbatteries.com You need
        > to look around their site a bit, but there is a technical
        > paper in .pdf format that describes the 3 - 4 step charging
        process.
        > I would send it to you, but my other computer is down right now.
        >
        > Gary Carlson
        >
        > PS: I believe the Zivan charger people know the charging profiles.

      • Stephen Taylor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2005
          If I remember correctly with my Force with 13 12 volt batteries (156 volts)

          1) Bulk charge to 183.3 volts until charger amps drops to 3 amps.

          2) Overcharge at 3 amps up to 195 volts maximum until overcharge AH amount equals 10% of Bulk charge AH total.

          3) Float at 176. volts. Amps should be irrelevant because you are already fully charged and the batteries will only take a small amount to keep floating.

          Stephen Taylor

          dc <a8723@...> wrote:I just purchased Deka 8G34R (60Ahr) batteries for my EV conversion.
          Unfortunately the technical literature is sparse in determining the proper
          charger profile. Knowing that a lot of Force drivers use the Deka Gel
          batteries, is it possible that someone can post their charge profile for
          their Deka Gel batteries?

          I have searched the archives, but did not find anything definitive.

          It says the charge voltage is 13.70-14.10 V at 20 deg C (68 deg F). The
          charge amperage is to be as high as possible up to 20% of the C/20 rate
          (C/20 = 60Ah therefore the max charge amperage is 12 Amps.

          So at 20 deg C (68 deg F), I will charge at 13.7 Volts per battery at 12
          Amps

          1. When is charging finished? When amps drop below a certain level? When
          voltage drops?

          2. When charging is finished, should I put it on a float voltage? It says
          the float voltage to be 13.55 volts - but at how many amps?

          thanks for the help.

          Don

          Victoria, BC, Canada

          See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
          www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

        • gibeaulte
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2005
            Don,

            I have uploaded the charge profile from my NLG412B charger for 8G27
            Deka batteries to the Files area of the Force_EV site.

            Hope this helps,

            Etienne