Charge Profile for DEKA Gel Batteries

  • dc
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2005
      I just purchased Deka 8G34R (60Ahr) batteries for my EV conversion.
      Unfortunately the technical literature is sparse in determining the proper
      charger profile. Knowing that a lot of Force drivers use the Deka Gel
      batteries, is it possible that someone can post their charge profile for
      their Deka Gel batteries?

      I have searched the archives, but did not find anything definitive.

      It says the charge voltage is 13.70-14.10 V at 20 deg C (68 deg F). The
      charge amperage is to be as high as possible up to 20% of the C/20 rate
      (C/20 = 60Ah therefore the max charge amperage is 12 Amps.

      So at 20 deg C (68 deg F), I will charge at 13.7 Volts per battery at 12
      Amps

      1. When is charging finished? When amps drop below a certain level? When
      voltage drops?

      2. When charging is finished, should I put it on a float voltage? It says
      the float voltage to be 13.55 volts - but at how many amps?

      thanks for the help.

      Don

      Victoria, BC, Canada

      See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
      www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/
    • gjc0@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2005
        Are Deka Gel batteries the same as MKs?
        There is a lot of info at www.mkbatteries.com You need
        to look around their site a bit, but there is a technical
        paper in .pdf format that describes the 3 - 4 step charging process.
        I would send it to you, but my other computer is down right now.

        Gary Carlson

        PS: I believe the Zivan charger people know the charging profiles.

      • d1camero
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2005
          Gary, thanks for the note. Yes, they are MK batteries (I wonder
          what the relationship between East Penn and MK are??). I found the
          technical charging information on their web site (which is actually
          www.mkbattery.com)

          - thanks.

          Don

          --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, gjc0@a... wrote:
          > Are Deka Gel batteries the same as MKs?
          > There is a lot of info at www.mkbatteries.com You need
          > to look around their site a bit, but there is a technical
          > paper in .pdf format that describes the 3 - 4 step charging
          process.
          > I would send it to you, but my other computer is down right now.
          >
          > Gary Carlson
          >
          > PS: I believe the Zivan charger people know the charging profiles.

        • Stephen Taylor
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2005
            If I remember correctly with my Force with 13 12 volt batteries (156 volts)

            1) Bulk charge to 183.3 volts until charger amps drops to 3 amps.

            2) Overcharge at 3 amps up to 195 volts maximum until overcharge AH amount equals 10% of Bulk charge AH total.

            3) Float at 176. volts. Amps should be irrelevant because you are already fully charged and the batteries will only take a small amount to keep floating.

            Stephen Taylor

            dc <a8723@...> wrote:I just purchased Deka 8G34R (60Ahr) batteries for my EV conversion.
[...]

          • gibeaulte
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 13, 2005
              Don,

              I have uploaded the charge profile from my NLG412B charger for 8G27
              Deka batteries to the Files area of the Force_EV site.

              Hope this helps,

              Etienne