registering a Force with the DMV

  • jmeyn@sonic.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2004
      I have been enjoying driving the red 97 Force purchased last April. However, registration is still not complete.

      I bought the car from Barry Pearson, (formerly?) of It's Electric Inc. and Solectria. I have made numerous visits to the DMV in Santa Rosa, trying to supply the information they require on the proper DMV forms. Every time they want more information I am back to waiting weeks or months for Barry, Tony, and Solectric to get the information and sign the forms. I thought we were finally there about a month ago. The DMV inspector even came out and inspected. However the clerk who has been working on this says "Oh, I forgot, because this is a dealer sale you need a Dealers Report of Sale. Get the seller to provide this number and fill in on the Statement of Facts and we are done." However, after weeks of trying to get a response out of Barry, I got him to admit that he did not send in any such form. "all you need is on the Bill of Sale (typewritten) I gave you when you bought the car"

      I'm really at my wits end. I'm ready for legal action.
      Have any of you encountered this situation? Can DMV be persuaded to issue plates? I already have statements of fact with odometer, notorized signatures from Tony Agpaoa, and Barry. But, I think It's Electric has not done a profession job on their end for transfer of ownership. They had lost the title also.

      hope to get this done soon, but hope grows thin.
      ---Joel

    • jmeyn@sonic.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2004
        Well,
        I went in to the Petaluma DMV office to request a new inspection. This
        office is 1/3 the size of the Santa Rosa office.
        The inspector understood the situation, thought my car was "cool" and added
        a note on the form to the effect that the car was converted to electric only
        operation. Just for fun, I thought I would go back inside and see if I had
        enough information to get plates. I was fully prepared to take my forms and
        mail to you Doug. Instead after just a few minutes of data entry and
        consulting a manual, asking no questions, the lady clerk reached up and
        selected a license plate and then attached a set of stickers to a new
        printout. She says she is unable to make the change to "electric" for fuel
        type, but that will happen in Sacramento.
        So, I walked out with a new set of plates and a big smile.

        So, I won't be sending you anything, but your helpful reassureance gave me
        the confidence to try again.
        thanks to Will for putting me in touch with Doug Wilson.

        Next step: getting my 220 charging setup in the cohousing village!
        --Joel Meyn
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 22, 2004
          Cool! I was really amazed when I registered my Force here in Wisconsin,
          and the clerk went to a "Fuel Type" listbox on their software and
          selected "Electric"!

          -Tom

          --
          Thomas Hudson
          http://klanky.com -- Animation Projects
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 22, 2004
            Here in Georgia, they list Electric as a fuel type, but won't accept 0 as the number of cylinders so we have to put in 1 or 2. The State is also now deciding that the cars shouldn't be titled as Chevrolet or Geo Metros, but as Solectria Force which is great. So at the request of the State I have my title being changed now to that effect. They are finally waking up to the fact that some people actually have Electric Vehicles other than Georgia Power.

            Stephen Taylor

            Tom Hudson <tomhudson@...> wrote:Cool! I was really amazed when I registered my Force here in Wisconsin,

            --
            Thomas Hudson