RE: [force_ev] Battery Equalization

  • Will Beckett
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 24, 2004
      The charger does do a good job for the first part of the battery life but as
      the batteries get older it is possible to see problems with some of them.
      Also battery life is based on charging cycles, so the life of the battery is
      based on miles and not years of use. Most Solectria owners find they get
      between 12K and 15K. The most miles I got from one charge was 68 miles.
      Currently I am only getting about 30.

      -Will

      Will Beckett
      Beckett PC Solutions
      4189 Baker Ave.
      Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908

      (650) 494-6922 phone & fax
      (650) 269-7011 cell
      mailto:will@...
      http://beckettpcsolutions.com <http://beckettpcsolutions.com/>

      "Let me make it easy for you!"

      a Business Network Int'l member http://www.paloaltobni.com
      <http://www.paloaltobni.com/>

      a member of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce http://www.paloaltochamber.com
      <http://www.paloaltochamber.com/>

      Support the arts, subscribe to West Bay Opera http://www.wbopera.org
      <http://www.wbopera.org/>

      _____

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 25, 2004
        To Will Beckett: What kind of batteries are you using?
        Flooded? Gel? What brand?

        I am using twelve of the MK Battery 8G27 Gel.
        (12 volts @ 80 AH). I have only put
        1200 miles on the car (1992 Solectria Force)
        after buying it used. The previous owner
        said that there was about 80% life left.
        I am using a Zivan charger programmed for
        Gel cells.

        I am able to measure the battery voltage on
        the rear pack and find less than 50 mV between
        the 12V batteries. Measurements were made at 100%
        75% and 50% SOC after several idle hours.

        I made these measurements on the seven rear batteries
        and need to add test points to the battery box in
        front that is hard to get to.

        Sincerely,
        Gary Carlson

      • Adams, Noel
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 25, 2004
          Battery equalization is important for any string of batteries since weaker
          cells can, over time, become so low compared to other cells in the string
          that a deep discharge can push them over the edge. Having said that, the
          charger in your Force is almost certainly set up to level once in a while
          but levelling algorithms for GEL cells and Flooded cells are different and
          if you switch battery types you probably need to get the charger
          re-programmed.

          _____

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129d5kdgm/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1098578479/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http://prom
          otions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2376776/rand=499560741>

          _____

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          The information in this e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of the
          intended recipient and may contain privileged and confidential information.
          If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, copying or
          distribution of this message or attachment is strictly prohibited. If you
          believe that you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender
          immediately and delete the e-mail and all of its attachments.
        • Will Beckett
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 25, 2004
            I have a 1999 Force with 13 Gel-Tech sealed group 27 batteries. I still
            have the Solectria (Brusa) 3.3 KW charger. Each of my batteries has one
            wire with a 3amp fuse going to the trunk where they are connected to 12
            PowerCheqs that monitor the voltage between battery pairs to keep them
            equal. I would expect that with 1200 miles your batteries should be at
            their peak, having been broken in at this point.

            -Will

            Will Beckett
            Beckett PC Solutions
            4189 Baker Ave.
            Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908

            (650) 494-6922 phone & fax
            (650) 269-7011 cell
            mailto:will@...
            http://beckettpcsolutions.com <http://beckettpcsolutions.com/>

            "Let me make it easy for you!"

            a Business Network Int'l member http://www.paloaltobni.com
            <http://www.paloaltobni.com/>

            a member of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce http://www.paloaltochamber.com
            <http://www.paloaltochamber.com/>

            Support the arts, subscribe to West Bay Opera http://www.wbopera.org
            <http://www.wbopera.org/>

            _____

            To Will Beckett: What kind of batteries are you using?
            Flooded? Gel? What brand?

            I am using twelve of the MK Battery 8G27 Gel.
            (12 volts @ 80 AH). I have only put
            1200 miles on the car (1992 Solectria Force)
            after buying it used. The previous owner
            said that there was about 80% life left.
            I am using a Zivan charger programmed for
            Gel cells.

            I am able to measure the battery voltage on
            the rear pack and find less than 50 mV between
            the 12V batteries. Measurements were made at 100%
            75% and 50% SOC after several idle hours.

            I made these measurements on the seven rear batteries
            and need to add test points to the battery box in
            front that is hard to get to.

            Sincerely,
            Gary Carlson

            --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Will Beckett" <will@b...> wrote:
            > The charger does do a good job for the first part of the battery
            life but as
            > the batteries get older it is possible to see problems with some
            of them.
            > Also battery life is based on charging cycles, so the life of the
            battery is
            > based on miles and not years of use. Most Solectria owners find
            they get
            > between 12K and 15K. The most miles I got from one charge was 68
            miles.
            > Currently I am only getting about 30.
            >

            > -Will
            >
            > Will Beckett
            > Beckett PC Solutions
            > 4189 Baker Ave.
            > Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908
            >
            > (650) 494-6922 phone & fax
            > (650) 269-7011 cell
            > mailto:will@b...
            > http://beckettpcsolutions.com <http://beckettpcsolutions.com/>
            >
            > "Let me make it easy for you!"
            >
            > a Business Network Int'l member http://www.paloaltobni.com
            > <http://www.paloaltobni.com/>
            >
            > a member of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce
            http://www.paloaltochamber.com
            > <http://www.paloaltochamber.com/>
            >
            > Support the arts, subscribe to West Bay Opera
            http://www.wbopera.org
            > <http://www.wbopera.org/>
            >

            > _____

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129qokt7m/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1098801454/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
            anion.yahoo.com> click here

            :HM/A=2128215/rand=824135262>

            _____

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 25, 2004
              Sorry, I meant to add one more thing, when you check your batteries, do it
              under a load. Turn everything on especially the heater.

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                Oh my! It happened to me. I was on the way to a concert, my daughter was
                singing, only about 2 miles from my home and the car power went completely
                dead. I pulled off the road into a parking lot and the power came back
                after I drove over a bump. So, thinking all was well again, I pulled out on
                the street again but only got a few hundred feet before it died again. It
                didn't come back this time. We parked the car (pushing it) and walked to
                the concert. After the concert I walked back to the car and wiggled,
                thumped, banged, every part I could think to do those things to but there
                was no dome light. I opened my trunk and could see the PowerCheqs working,
                used my volt meter to check pack voltage (146, seems low). Then I checked
                for pack voltage at the DC to DC and could see nothing.

                Two of my PowerCheqs have a red light so I am sure that at least one battery
                is off voltage and blew the fuse. I suppose it is possible I had a battery
                short out but I have run the car with only 12 batteries before so I don't
                think that is the problem.

                I called for my road side assistance and they were there in 15 minutes. Had
                the car home in 30 minutes and now it is in front of the house waiting for
                morning. Anyone have suggestions on what I should do next?

                -Will

                Will Beckett
                Beckett PC Solutions
                4189 Baker Ave.
                Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908

                (650) 494-6922 phone & fax
                (650) 269-7011 cell
                mailto:will@...
                http://beckettpcsolutions.com <http://beckettpcsolutions.com/>

                "Let me make it easy for you!"

                a Business Network Int'l member http://www.paloaltobni.com
                <http://www.paloaltobni.com/>

                a member of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce http://www.paloaltochamber.com
                <http://www.paloaltochamber.com/>

                Support the arts, subscribe to West Bay Opera http://www.wbopera.org
                <http://www.wbopera.org/>

              • Mike Phillips
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                  Stop singing in it ;)

                  Mike

                  --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Will Beckett" <will@b...> wrote:
                  > Oh my! It happened to me. I was on the way to a concert, my
                  daughter was
                  > singing, only about 2 miles from my home and the car power went
                  completely
                  > dead. I pulled off the road into a parking lot and the power came back
                  > after I drove over a bump. So, thinking all was well again, I
                  pulled out on
                  > the street again but only got a few hundred feet before it died
                  again. It
                  > didn't come back this time. We parked the car (pushing it) and
                  walked to
                  > the concert. After the concert I walked back to the car and wiggled,
                  > thumped, banged, every part I could think to do those things to but
                  there
                  > was no dome light. I opened my trunk and could see the PowerCheqs
                  working,
                  > used my volt meter to check pack voltage (146, seems low). Then I
                  checked
                  > for pack voltage at the DC to DC and could see nothing.
                  >
                  > Two of my PowerCheqs have a red light so I am sure that at least one
                  battery
                  > is off voltage and blew the fuse. I suppose it is possible I had a
                  battery
                  > short out but I have run the car with only 12 batteries before so I
                  don't
                  > think that is the problem.
                  >
                  > I called for my road side assistance and they were there in 15
                  minutes. Had
                  > the car home in 30 minutes and now it is in front of the house
                  waiting for
                  > morning. Anyone have suggestions on what I should do next?
                  >

                  > -Will
                  >
                  > Will Beckett
                  > Beckett PC Solutions
                  > 4189 Baker Ave.
                  > Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908
                  >
                  > (650) 494-6922 phone & fax
                  > (650) 269-7011 cell
                  > mailto:will@b...
                  > http://beckettpcsolutions.com <http://beckettpcsolutions.com/>
                  >
                  > "Let me make it easy for you!"
                  >
                  > a Business Network Int'l member http://www.paloaltobni.com
                  > <http://www.paloaltobni.com/>
                  >
                  > a member of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce
                  http://www.paloaltochamber.com
                  > <http://www.paloaltochamber.com/>
                  >
                  > Support the arts, subscribe to West Bay Opera http://www.wbopera.org
                  > <http://www.wbopera.org/>

                • d. Bouton Baldridge
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                    Will,
                    I am a newby only owned my force since march. Maybe this is silly but when I put new batteries in,even though I was sure to tighten each terminal about six weeks later, a loose connection fryed my charger and the symptons were similar to yours. Having wet cells at least forces me to access the battery packs every few months and I can check the connections.
                    Bouty Baldridge
                    Wilmington, NC

                    Will Beckett <will@...> wrote:
[...]

                    Get unlimited calls to

                    U.S./Canada

                  • Will Beckett
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                      Not silly at all. This is very likely. I will be checking that next. I
                      also have a very old battery pack and it is very possible that one of the
                      batteries is causing this problem. My charger may have gone bad as well. I
                      should know more when I open it up today.

                      Will Beckett <will@...> wrote:
[...]

                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294o9k85/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
                      oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1099147676/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i25ur9j/*http://clk.
                      atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099061276259567>
                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294o9k85/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
                      oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1099147676/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i25ur9j/*http://clk.
                      atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099061276259567>

                      Get unlimited calls to

                      U.S./Canada

                      <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10990612
                      76259567>

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=
                      :HM/A=2343726/rand=666252427>

                      _____

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    • Stephen Taylor
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                        I might check my little Red Service Disconnect Anderson Connector. I had one that apparently started to pull apart and it melted causing all sorts of other problems including blown fuses. The main fuses in the battery pack were blown just enough where I still read full pack voltage, but when any load was put on it the voltage dropped to nearly zero.

                        Also isn't there a fuse that goes to the DC/DC converter

                        Stephen Taylor

                      • Will Beckett
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                          Great suggestions from many of you and all on the right track. The puddle
                          of lead was the indicator of the source of this problem. Apparently I did
                          not tighten one of the terminals well enough and it melted the post until
                          the connection was lost. Kind of like a fuse. This also happened once on
                          my Blazer and Otmar and I remolded a terminal on the battery but this time I
                          have a spare battery I can use. Thanks for the suggestions. I should be
                          back on the road tomorrow.

[...]

                          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bgjou2/M=315388.5529720.6602079.3001176/D=gr
                          oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1099153796/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www
                          .orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS> click
                          here

                          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5529720.6602079.3001176/D=groups/S=
                          :HM/A=2372354/rand=416852910>

                          _____