Re: [force_ev] Battery Equalization

  • Don Buckshot
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 23, 2004
      Hi Will and all,
      My understanding is that the charger used by Solectria is so well
      programmed that the batteries maintain a very stable balance in the pack.
      Did you experience/ measure an imbalance and/or short battery life?

      I have new (Deka Dominators) batteries in my '96 Force last year and
      older batteries in my '96 E-10 pickup. The Force is doing very well for
      range and available power to date. I would expect about 5 years life
      from them. We never draw them down more than 40Ah and usually about
      32Ah each day.

      Don Buckshot

    • Will Beckett
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 24, 2004
        The charger does do a good job for the first part of the battery life but as
        the batteries get older it is possible to see problems with some of them.
        Also battery life is based on charging cycles, so the life of the battery is
        based on miles and not years of use. Most Solectria owners find they get
        between 12K and 15K. The most miles I got from one charge was 68 miles.
        Currently I am only getting about 30.

        Will Beckett wrote:

        >I put PowerCheqs in two Forces and feel that they have helped extend the
        >life of my batteries.
        >

        >-Will
        >
        >Will Beckett
        >Beckett PC Solutions
        >4189 Baker Ave.
        >Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908
        >
        >(650) 494-6922 phone & fax
        >(650) 269-7011 cell
        >mailto:will@...
        >http://beckettpcsolutions.com <http://beckettpcsolutions.com/>
        >
        >"Let me make it easy for you!"
        >
        >a Business Network Int'l member http://www.paloaltobni.com
        ><http://www.paloaltobni.com/>
        >
        >a member of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce
        http://www.paloaltochamber.com
        ><http://www.paloaltochamber.com/>
        >
        >Support the arts, subscribe to West Bay Opera http://www.wbopera.org
        ><http://www.wbopera.org/>
        >

        > _____

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129meuc02/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1098658150/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http://prom
        otions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2376776/rand=916899399>

        _____

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • gjc02000
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 25, 2004
          To Will Beckett: What kind of batteries are you using?
          Flooded? Gel? What brand?

          I am using twelve of the MK Battery 8G27 Gel.
          (12 volts @ 80 AH). I have only put
          1200 miles on the car (1992 Solectria Force)
          after buying it used. The previous owner
          said that there was about 80% life left.
          I am using a Zivan charger programmed for
          Gel cells.

          I am able to measure the battery voltage on
          the rear pack and find less than 50 mV between
          the 12V batteries. Measurements were made at 100%
          75% and 50% SOC after several idle hours.

          I made these measurements on the seven rear batteries
          and need to add test points to the battery box in
          front that is hard to get to.

          Sincerely,
          Gary Carlson

        • Adams, Noel
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 25, 2004
            Battery equalization is important for any string of batteries since weaker
            cells can, over time, become so low compared to other cells in the string
            that a deep discharge can push them over the edge. Having said that, the
            charger in your Force is almost certainly set up to level once in a while
            but levelling algorithms for GEL cells and Flooded cells are different and
            if you switch battery types you probably need to get the charger
            re-programmed.

            _____

[...]

            The information in this e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of the
            intended recipient and may contain privileged and confidential information.
            If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, copying or
            distribution of this message or attachment is strictly prohibited. If you
            believe that you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender
            immediately and delete the e-mail and all of its attachments.
          • Will Beckett
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 25, 2004
              I have a 1999 Force with 13 Gel-Tech sealed group 27 batteries. I still
              have the Solectria (Brusa) 3.3 KW charger. Each of my batteries has one
              wire with a 3amp fuse going to the trunk where they are connected to 12
              PowerCheqs that monitor the voltage between battery pairs to keep them
              equal. I would expect that with 1200 miles your batteries should be at
              their peak, having been broken in at this point.

              -Will

              Will Beckett
              Beckett PC Solutions
              4189 Baker Ave.
              Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908

              (650) 494-6922 phone & fax
              (650) 269-7011 cell
              mailto:will@...
              http://beckettpcsolutions.com <http://beckettpcsolutions.com/>

              "Let me make it easy for you!"

              a Business Network Int'l member http://www.paloaltobni.com
              <http://www.paloaltobni.com/>

              a member of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce http://www.paloaltochamber.com
              <http://www.paloaltochamber.com/>

              Support the arts, subscribe to West Bay Opera http://www.wbopera.org
              <http://www.wbopera.org/>

              _____

              To Will Beckett: What kind of batteries are you using?
              Flooded? Gel? What brand?

              I am using twelve of the MK Battery 8G27 Gel.
              (12 volts @ 80 AH). I have only put
              1200 miles on the car (1992 Solectria Force)
              after buying it used. The previous owner
              said that there was about 80% life left.
              I am using a Zivan charger programmed for
              Gel cells.

              I am able to measure the battery voltage on
              the rear pack and find less than 50 mV between
              the 12V batteries. Measurements were made at 100%
              75% and 50% SOC after several idle hours.

              I made these measurements on the seven rear batteries
              and need to add test points to the battery box in
              front that is hard to get to.

              Sincerely,
              Gary Carlson

              --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Will Beckett" <will@b...> wrote:
              > The charger does do a good job for the first part of the battery
              life but as
              > the batteries get older it is possible to see problems with some
              of them.
              > Also battery life is based on charging cycles, so the life of the
              battery is
              > based on miles and not years of use. Most Solectria owners find
              they get
              > between 12K and 15K. The most miles I got from one charge was 68
              miles.
              > Currently I am only getting about 30.
              >

              > -Will
              >
              > Will Beckett
              > Beckett PC Solutions
              > 4189 Baker Ave.
              > Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908
              >
              > (650) 494-6922 phone & fax
              > (650) 269-7011 cell
              > mailto:will@b...
              > http://beckettpcsolutions.com <http://beckettpcsolutions.com/>
              >
              > "Let me make it easy for you!"
              >
              > a Business Network Int'l member http://www.paloaltobni.com
              > <http://www.paloaltobni.com/>
              >
              > a member of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce
              http://www.paloaltochamber.com
              > <http://www.paloaltochamber.com/>
              >
              > Support the arts, subscribe to West Bay Opera
              http://www.wbopera.org
              > <http://www.wbopera.org/>
              >

              > _____

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129qokt7m/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1098801454/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
              anion.yahoo.com> click here

              :HM/A=2128215/rand=824135262>

              _____

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 25, 2004
                Sorry, I meant to add one more thing, when you check your batteries, do it
                under a load. Turn everything on especially the heater.

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                  Oh my! It happened to me. I was on the way to a concert, my daughter was
                  singing, only about 2 miles from my home and the car power went completely
                  dead. I pulled off the road into a parking lot and the power came back
                  after I drove over a bump. So, thinking all was well again, I pulled out on
                  the street again but only got a few hundred feet before it died again. It
                  didn't come back this time. We parked the car (pushing it) and walked to
                  the concert. After the concert I walked back to the car and wiggled,
                  thumped, banged, every part I could think to do those things to but there
                  was no dome light. I opened my trunk and could see the PowerCheqs working,
                  used my volt meter to check pack voltage (146, seems low). Then I checked
                  for pack voltage at the DC to DC and could see nothing.

                  Two of my PowerCheqs have a red light so I am sure that at least one battery
                  is off voltage and blew the fuse. I suppose it is possible I had a battery
                  short out but I have run the car with only 12 batteries before so I don't
                  think that is the problem.

                  I called for my road side assistance and they were there in 15 minutes. Had
                  the car home in 30 minutes and now it is in front of the house waiting for
                  morning. Anyone have suggestions on what I should do next?

                  -Will

                  Will Beckett
                  Beckett PC Solutions
                  4189 Baker Ave.
                  Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908

                  (650) 494-6922 phone & fax
                  (650) 269-7011 cell
                  mailto:will@...
                  http://beckettpcsolutions.com <http://beckettpcsolutions.com/>

                  "Let me make it easy for you!"

                  a Business Network Int'l member http://www.paloaltobni.com
                  <http://www.paloaltobni.com/>

                  a member of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce http://www.paloaltochamber.com
                  <http://www.paloaltochamber.com/>

                  Support the arts, subscribe to West Bay Opera http://www.wbopera.org
                  <http://www.wbopera.org/>

                • Mike Phillips
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                    Stop singing in it ;)

                    Mike

                    --- In force_ev@yahoogroups.com, "Will Beckett" <will@b...> wrote:
                    > Oh my! It happened to me. I was on the way to a concert, my
                    daughter was
                    > singing, only about 2 miles from my home and the car power went
                    completely
                    > dead. I pulled off the road into a parking lot and the power came back
                    > after I drove over a bump. So, thinking all was well again, I
                    pulled out on
                    > the street again but only got a few hundred feet before it died
                    again. It
                    > didn't come back this time. We parked the car (pushing it) and
                    walked to
                    > the concert. After the concert I walked back to the car and wiggled,
                    > thumped, banged, every part I could think to do those things to but
                    there
                    > was no dome light. I opened my trunk and could see the PowerCheqs
                    working,
                    > used my volt meter to check pack voltage (146, seems low). Then I
                    checked
                    > for pack voltage at the DC to DC and could see nothing.
                    >
                    > Two of my PowerCheqs have a red light so I am sure that at least one
                    battery
                    > is off voltage and blew the fuse. I suppose it is possible I had a
                    battery
                    > short out but I have run the car with only 12 batteries before so I
                    don't
                    > think that is the problem.
                    >
                    > I called for my road side assistance and they were there in 15
                    minutes. Had
                    > the car home in 30 minutes and now it is in front of the house
                    waiting for
                    > morning. Anyone have suggestions on what I should do next?
                    >

                    > -Will
                    >
                    > Will Beckett
                    > Beckett PC Solutions
                    > 4189 Baker Ave.
                    > Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908
                    >
                    > (650) 494-6922 phone & fax
                    > (650) 269-7011 cell
                    > mailto:will@b...
                    > http://beckettpcsolutions.com <http://beckettpcsolutions.com/>
                    >
                    > "Let me make it easy for you!"
                    >
                    > a Business Network Int'l member http://www.paloaltobni.com
                    > <http://www.paloaltobni.com/>
                    >
                    > a member of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce
                    http://www.paloaltochamber.com
                    > <http://www.paloaltochamber.com/>
                    >
                    > Support the arts, subscribe to West Bay Opera http://www.wbopera.org
                    > <http://www.wbopera.org/>

                  • d. Bouton Baldridge
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                      Will,
                      I am a newby only owned my force since march. Maybe this is silly but when I put new batteries in,even though I was sure to tighten each terminal about six weeks later, a loose connection fryed my charger and the symptons were similar to yours. Having wet cells at least forces me to access the battery packs every few months and I can check the connections.
                      Bouty Baldridge
                      Wilmington, NC

                      Will Beckett <will@...> wrote:
[...]

                      Get unlimited calls to

                      U.S./Canada

                    • Will Beckett
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                        Not silly at all. This is very likely. I will be checking that next. I
                        also have a very old battery pack and it is very possible that one of the
                        batteries is causing this problem. My charger may have gone bad as well. I
                        should know more when I open it up today.

                        Will Beckett <will@...> wrote:
[...]

                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294o9k85/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
                        oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1099147676/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12i25ur9j/*http://clk.
                        atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099061276259567>
                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294o9k85/M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=gr
                        oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1099147676/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12i25ur9j/*http://clk.
                        atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1099061276259567>

                        Get unlimited calls to

                        U.S./Canada

                        <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10990612
                        76259567>

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=281955.5530326.6602771.3001176/D=groups/S=
                        :HM/A=2343726/rand=666252427>

                        _____

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      • Stephen Taylor
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                          I might check my little Red Service Disconnect Anderson Connector. I had one that apparently started to pull apart and it melted causing all sorts of other problems including blown fuses. The main fuses in the battery pack were blown just enough where I still read full pack voltage, but when any load was put on it the voltage dropped to nearly zero.

                          Also isn't there a fuse that goes to the DC/DC converter

                          Stephen Taylor

                        • Will Beckett
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                            Great suggestions from many of you and all on the right track. The puddle
                            of lead was the indicator of the source of this problem. Apparently I did
                            not tighten one of the terminals well enough and it melted the post until
                            the connection was lost. Kind of like a fuse. This also happened once on
                            my Blazer and Otmar and I remolded a terminal on the battery but this time I
                            have a spare battery I can use. Thanks for the suggestions. I should be
                            back on the road tomorrow.

[...]

                            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bgjou2/M=315388.5529720.6602079.3001176/D=gr
                            oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1099153796/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www
                            .orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS> click
                            here

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5529720.6602079.3001176/D=groups/S=
                            :HM/A=2372354/rand=416852910>

                            _____