Amp Hour meter died

  • fredfischer55
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2004
      Yesterday the AH meter in my 99 Force died: the red and green
      discharge/recharge LED's are now both dark, the green does not flicker
      even when charging, and the red does not flicker at all. The AH
      display is frozen at 00.02, and very, very dim; the
      contrast/brightness does improve during regeneration, when the green
      LED should be flashing. Both fuses test OK: the AH fuse under the
      hood, and the fuse inside the AH interface box beneath the steering
      wheel. I really need a schematic. Any suggestions?
    • Will Beckett
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2004
        I am hearing a new sound in my 1999 Force that seems to be getting more and
        more noticeable. It is a fluttering sound that only seems to be there when
        the motor is under torch (power or regen). Kevin, at Solectria, thinks it
        might be a motor bearing. Any thoughts?

        -Will

        Will Beckett
        Beckett PC Solutions
        4189 Baker Ave.
        Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908

        (650) 494-6922 phone & fax
        (650) 269-7011 cell
        mailto:will@...
        http://beckettpcsolutions.com <http://beckettpcsolutions.com/>

        "Let me make it easy for you!"

        a Business Network Int'l member http://www.paloaltobni.com
        <http://www.paloaltobni.com/>

        a member of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce http://www.paloaltochamber.com
        <http://www.paloaltochamber.com/>

        Support the arts, subscribe to West Bay Opera http://www.wbopera.org
        <http://www.wbopera.org/>

      • Gordon Stallings
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2004
          How many miles are on your motor? Surely the motor uses ball or
          roller bearings, not sleeve bearings. I'd think such bearings should
          last a long time. Make sure that some insulation or other material
          isn't rubbing the driveshafts. These might only be rubbing when
          under load.

          >I am hearing a new sound in my 1999 Force that seems to be getting more and
          >more noticeable. It is a fluttering sound that only seems to be there when
          >the motor is under torch (power or regen). Kevin, at Solectria, thinks it
          >might be a motor bearing. Any thoughts?
          >

          >-Will
          >
          >Will Beckett
          >Beckett PC Solutions
          >4189 Baker Ave.
          >Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908
        • Will Beckett
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2004
            About 27K and I agree it doesn't make since but I do know that other
            Solectria Forces have had to replace the bearing in their motor. I have the
            car put up on a rack and we looked at it under power and could hear the
            sound in the drive train but could not see anything. I will take Otmar out
            in it tomorrow and let him listen to it to see what he thinks. Thanks for
            your suggestions.

            _____

            How many miles are on your motor? Surely the motor uses ball or
            roller bearings, not sleeve bearings. I'd think such bearings should
            last a long time. Make sure that some insulation or other material
            isn't rubbing the driveshafts. These might only be rubbing when
            under load.

            >I am hearing a new sound in my 1999 Force that seems to be getting more and
            >more noticeable. It is a fluttering sound that only seems to be there when
            >the motor is under torch (power or regen). Kevin, at Solectria, thinks it
            >might be a motor bearing. Any thoughts?
            >

            >-Will
            >
            >Will Beckett
            >Beckett PC Solutions
            >4189 Baker Ave.
            >Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129t028l2/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1094697426/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.
            netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2319498/rand=329450785>

            _____

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Stephen Taylor

              How many miles are on your motor? Surely the motor uses ball or
              roller bearings, not sleeve bearings. I'd think such bearings should
              last a long time. Make sure that some insulation or other material
              isn't rubbing the driveshafts. These might only be rubbing when
              under load.

              >I am hearing a new sound in my 1999 Force that seems to be getting more and
              >more noticeable. It is a fluttering sound that only seems to be there when
              >the motor is under torch (power or regen). Kevin, at Solectria, thinks it
              >might be a motor bearing. Any thoughts?
              >

              >-Will
              >
              >Will Beckett
              >Beckett PC Solutions
              >4189 Baker Ave.
              >Palo Alto, CA 94306-3908

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129t028l2/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1094697426/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.
              netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2319498/rand=329450785>

              _____

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Aaron Birenboim
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
                fredfischer55 wrote:
                > Yesterday the AH meter in my 99 Force died: the red and green
                > discharge/recharge LED's are now both dark, the green does not flicker
                > even when charging, and the red does not flicker at all. The AH
                > display is frozen at 00.02, and very, very dim; the
                > contrast/brightness does improve during regeneration, when the green
                > LED should be flashing. Both fuses test OK: the AH fuse under the
                > hood, and the fuse inside the AH interface box beneath the steering
                > wheel. I really need a schematic. Any suggestions?

                first rule of electronics maintainence.... check the contacts!

                I's start by pulling all the wires from the AH-counter,
                cleaning them, and putting them back.

                Next step... same thing on the other end of the wires.
                (its easier to get the ones at the counter first, since
                they are all together)

                I have the pin-outs for the old Brusa 29... but I bet yours is newer...
                --
                Aaron Birenboim | This space available!
                Albuquerque, NM |
                >http://aaron.boim.com |
              • fredfischer55
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 15, 2004
                  More info: the interface box input cable has an open lead. This short cable
                  has a six position Molex connector on one end (4 wires) and a 12 position
                  orange inline connector (also 4 wires used). 12 Volt power comes from the
                  Molex end on one red and one black wire. An RC filter circuit is wired to
                  these power lines in the center of the cable. The 33 uF/450 V capacitor is
                  wired between the power lines, and tests OK. The resistor is wired in front of
                  the capacitor, in series with the red line. The resistor has been fried and the
                  color bands are burnt off. What value resistor should be used for a
                  replacement?
                • Fred Fischer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 15, 2004
                    Bad info: The fried component in the interface cable was a blown in-line
                    Picofuse, not a small resistor. I've no idea what the replacement value should
                    be. Also, the wires across the capacitor supply the pack voltage.
                  • Fred Fischer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 16, 2004
                        How does the controller board for the AmpHour meter look. This sounds like
                        the problem I had twice that I fixed by rewiring the board. The trace that
                        carries the pack voltage is too close. I don't recall the resister value
                        either but I am sure you can get this from Kevin.

[...]

                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294trurs/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
                        oups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1095391041/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
                        anion.yahoo.com> click here

                        :HM/A=2128215/rand=856562779>